myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Columbia flow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Columbia flow Reply with quote

The fast flow ruined my day a quite a few times yesterday and made me want to smash all my gear and quit forever.. Is anyone in the loop on when its going to slow down to normal?
willysurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current seems normal to me. Are you sure that it wasn't the gusty/holey wind that was the real problem? I had a great time at Roweeener yesterday afternoon but I heard a lot of people calling it unsailable. Where were you sailing?
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current is up. Another way to tell is the kiters at the Event site. Because of the sandbar being pretty much gone, they are being allowed to launch at the Event site which is not normal for this time of the year.

So it is higher than normal for this time of the year. But there are day to day flucutations. June 27th was up a bit, July 1st also up a bit.

If you like numbers, then look here...

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv/?site_no=14105700&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

This will give you the flow from the "The Dalles" dam.
duckwind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Rock Creek yesterday and there was a lot of current. The river is real high, although it dropped significantly during the afternoon, which probably increased the current. The wind was real inconsistent.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current was definitely blasting 415k cfm I believe, I think 190k is supposed to be "normal", last weekend it was closer to 315k and I had no problems in the same spot (Mosier), the water level went up a good 5 feet too over the week.
ivog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the water level forecast...
http://www.30knotwind.com/p/river-discharge-forecasts.html
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things came together remarkably well where I was yesterday for some great swell. Nice to get out of the booties and into the shorty for the first time this season.... I was very comfortable, relaxed and dialed in.
willysurf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1, what I meant by "normal" is that the current seems normal for this time of year- i.e. water level is high and current running a bit fast. My question for you was how did the fast current ruin your day?
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
Things came together remarkably well where I was yesterday for some great swell. Nice to get out of the booties and into the shorty for the first time this season.... I was very comfortable, relaxed and dialed in.

what, a shorty now? Been in the 2/1 shorty for a month....ah but using the 3mm vest under thanks for the tip years ago that thing is a heater.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Columbia flow Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
The fast flow ruined my day a quite a few times yesterday and made me want to smash all my gear and quit forever.. Is anyone in the loop on when its going to slow down to normal?

A few weeks ago I broke a mast on a 4.2 day (a loner, broke mine a few years ago) all the way on WA side rowena. Half way across I was at least 1-mile downriver. ditched the rig (first time ever) hit shore near boat ramp. (2 miles down river) got a ride from a jet ski (thanks Larry) for having tracked him down (I did not think I needed rescue or inconvenience anyone). save me a 2 mile walk with the board.

hindsight should have left the rig on the rocks and paddled in just never had a problem getting in before. in the end decided my rig was crap boom I thought I broke was about to go anyway. sail had a big rip...mast was toast F'it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: