myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Camping in Hatteras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Camping in Hatteras Reply with quote

Hey there,

I am considering camping in Hatteras in the fall. It has bee a very long time since I have camped. I have the basics such as tent, ground cover sleeping bags, chairs etc. Any uniques considerations/tips would be most appreciated. I have never camped south of New England. And, I am not crazy about snakes. I am aware to be on the lookout for the curious water moc.

Thanks !
JohnnyA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frisco woods campground right on the sound in frisco nc not camping but Avon motel is on the ocean with cheap rates, no frills motel

Have fun
Bluejaytoo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been camping at Frisco Woods for over 20 years now. It's my home away from home. Hot showers, camp store, swimming pool, restaurant next door, and I can rig up the day I arrive and stay rigged until the day I leave!

rswabsin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah definetly check into Frisco Woods. The sailing on the sound here can be really exceptional in northeast to east winds which happen fairly often in the fall. Camping overall here is really nice as others have said. There are a few other private campgrounds in Hatteras but not as nice as Frisco Woods - plus this is the only site that has actual trees for shade. There is also a National Park campground in Frisco on the ocean side which is a bit more rustic since you camp in the dunes just inland from the beach but the sun can get brutal if you don't have a canopy of some type for shade. If you want to sail the Canadian Hole, it's only about 10-15 minute ride north of Frisco plus you'll pass shops for food/beer/etc.

Rob
RickCronk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fed campground in Frisco is very nice, also very basic. The high ground sites offer views to the ocean. There is walking access across dunes to beach and a nearby ORV ramp for permit carrying 4 wheel drivers. Permits are now readily available at various locations. However, not very conducive to windsurfing without the 4 wheel drive, leaving you to drive for the ride.

So, Frisco Woods. Go for the high ground. Any storm tides, big rain events etc. can easily flood some of the tent sites and even some of the RV sites. Naturally, many folks are attracted to the waterfront sites. However, depending on tides, storm intensity, wind direction etc., can leave one in a rush to escape.

Be prepared to stake out your tent fully and securely to deal with any onshore winds.

Don't forget the bug juice, more bug juice, and some weed fins for the shallow sailing venue.

Enjoy the OBX camping experience. Cool

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rondanthe Watersports...koa on that end as well

If my stay was more than a few days I would rent the smallest house.only ever see a odd snake.never the poison variety.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Windaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to Hatteras camping 20+ times. All but the first 3 trips were at Frisco Woods campground. The location is great, right on the sound. Showers are hot and bathrooms are the best (clean) I have ever seen at a camp ground. The tide can be very low. Also beware of the south wind. It can be dead at the campground and rippen out on the water. If you have older kids I highly recommend horse back ridding on the beach. One item on my bucket list is to camp at Frisco Woods for 2 weeks in the spring.
Dzmitry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm going to camp at Frisco Woods in September, how long before the date I need to reserve tent site? Is it possible to make reservation right in September or there are chances that it all be sold out?
RickCronk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dzmitry wrote:
If I'm going to camp at Frisco Woods in September, how long before the date I need to reserve tent site? Is it possible to make reservation right in September or there are chances that it all be sold out?

Schools are back in session, family vacation time is done, if you arrive on a weekday, probably not any issue with reservations. Weekend could be another story however. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: