myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Kauai
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corvin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Kauai Reply with quote

Advise on windsurfing on Kauai in July
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a somewhat recent thread on sailing Kaui. Mostly from Tunnels (Dumptrucks) where Beth Hamilton got bit, to Middles, to Anini's beginner inside area, to LihuiAirport, to Mahalapuu, to the surfing beaches on the S shore AcidDrip..Longhouse out to the AirForce Base. but July is usually one of the ligher winds times of the year in the Islands.
No shops, rentals, or stuff to borrow.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD is mostly right, but I would suggest launching at the Y Camp if you want to sail in the outside Tunnels area. The beach inside of Tunnels is shadowed, so it's a lot easier to launch more eastward above the reef.

Also, Mahalapuu Beach is actually on the south shore, east of the surfing launches in the Poipu area. It's quite a bit south of Lihue and the airport area. You need to drive to Poipu and then eastward from there to get to Mahalapuu. During July, Mahalapuu can be one of the windiest sites, and it picks up southerly ground swells extremely well. It's a bit more challenging though, as it's a port tack launch.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advise would be to bring your own gear because you will not find anything to rent whatsoever.
Kauai is not a windsurfing destination.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
but July is usually one of the ligher winds times of the year in the Islands.

The wind is very good on Maui in July. Maybe it's different on the other islands??
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing in Kauai Reply with quote

I was there in May, and though red shirted for the trip, I did
check out any potential for gear rental, and there is one option,
which has been around for many many years.
There are lessons and a gear trailer at Anini almost every day, and
if you contact the propriator (a very pleasant women who's name
I don't remember) at 1 808 828 6838 the day before you want the gear,
she'll bring something performance oriented. My recollection is that
the cost is pretty high (~$90 for an afternoon), and you won't get into
any wave action at Anini, but there's planable wind, and it is a pretty
nice setting to just plane around and notch another island in your
log book. I would have done it if I were't mending from surgery.

-Craig

corvin wrote:

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing in Kauai Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
There are lessons and a gear trailer at Anini almost every day, and
if you contact the propriator (a very pleasant women who's name
I don't remember) at 1 808 826 9463 ...

That number is the one for Anini Beach Windsurfing, which at least some years ago, was operated by Foster Ducker.

The trailer with gear sounds like it might have been Celeste Harvel, Windsurf Kauai, 1 808 828 6838.

One of the most memorable experiences of my second tries at windsurfing, years ago, was sailing (while taking instruction from Foster Ducker) at Anini in what can only be described as a cloudburst: very low visibility in sudden heavy rain.

This would have been mostly wonderful, had I not left the car windows open, with my rental unit's telephone book on the passenger's seat floor.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celeste gives lessons to complete beginners on giant boards with tiny sails in the small lagoon at Anini. I did not know she had better gear available, perhaps you could work a deal with her to take it for the week.
There are high tides during the day in the summer, if you sail on a high tide you can go right over the reef and sail outside the lagoon at Anini otherwise you will need to sail in and out of one of the narrow channels.
I was at Anini yesterday sailing all afternoon on a 7M but should have been on an 8M at least, but I'm also 220#, it was a fairly typical day.
If you go to the very end of the road at Anini there are some small waves further out, this is called 59's
I have some of Foster's old gear including his harness which I use.
Maybe I need to start renting out gear.
MauiMakani

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed around Kauai every day during the summers a few years back during the mid 80s, and here is what I remember, most of it already mentioned here. July is right in the middle of the tradewind season for the islands, so your chances of wind are good; for Kauai, which is always less windy than Maui.

Anini on the north shore is perfect for beginners or longboard freestyle inside the small lagoon. Planing would require a 6.5 to 8.0, and a high tide if you hope to make it out across the reef. As mentioned, 59s which is just a few hundred yards down the road can be okay wavesailing, but the reef is really shallow, and it is unusual for the wind to be strong enough for anything under a 6.5. Better with a winter north swell when it breaks on the outer reef.
Further out along the north shore, Y-camp just east of Tunnels is a great launch for experienced ocean sailors, and sail size is more likely to be between 4.7 and 5.7. Also, launch here for Tunnels if you are an experienced wavesailor, and can limp back upwind a half mile against ocean currents if the wind dies, Tunnels can be really fun wavesailing. It does not need a north swell, since the trade swell makes a 90 degree wrap around the reef, giving glassy cross off conditions out of waist to head high windswell. Just be sure not to straighten out in front of the wave, or you will end up on the "penalty box" reef in about 3 inches of water. The weird thing about this area is the unpredictable winds, due to the mountains that come right down near the water here. Given the same 12 mph winds at Anini, Y-Camp/ Tunnels can either be 4.7 or nothing. If you do not have a local to guide you, I would recommend walking the beach down to the tip of the point at Tunnels to check it out before sailing there. Look for the narrow channel that opens up right off the tip of the point, since this is your only way back to shore if you cannot make it back upwind to Y Camp. The Tunnels wave will be a couple of hundred yards downwind of you if you are standing on the tip of the point, and Y Camp is 1/2 a mile upwind.
Kapaa on the east shore can provide good cross onshore conditions on a 6.0 to 6.5 with miles of backside rideable waves. Again, best at high tide.
Mahalapu near Poipu can be great ocean and wavesailing on a south swell, and has the strongest and most predictable winds; often 4.5 to 5.0. Just be sure to ask the locals about the location of the coral heads that will pop right up to the surface at a couple of spots as you ride down the line along the wave.
If you are up for an adventure, try throwing your rig into the ocean off the cliffs at Shipwrecks, west of Mahalapu. Just be sure that the rope is in place so that you can haul your rig back up the cliff when you are done. Wind and waves similar to Mahalapu but no crowds.
Further around the south side, I had a couple of great sessions near Port Allen, just west of the big jetty. Cross shore port tack with lots of ridable waves on a south swell, and sheltered from the wind chop by the huge jetty. I remember this being best when the trades did not have a lot of north in them.
Enjoy your trip, and hope this helps.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing in Kauai Reply with quote

corvin wrote:

Last two trips there I gave up on WS and dove, snorkel, sup, BB you can get a flight cheap to maui for the day would be my suggestion. Finally talked the wifey into going back to maui this year in august. I know the gorge is good then but never pass on a trip to Mecca.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: