myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Collateral Damage on Cape Cod
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inlandsea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a good look at West Dennis Yesterday, It was chaotic!

There were Windsurfers and Kiters in the swimming area.
I spoke to the head of Dennis Beaches today and he said it was all his lifeguards did all day was whistle, Paddle and scream to try and usher people out of the swimming area with kites and windsurfers.

Kiters are Far more visible for sure and one in the swimming area is NOT GOOD!. However those in glass houses.............
Iceratz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inlandsea wrote:

Kiters are Far more visible for sure and one in the swimming area is NOT GOOD!. However those in glass houses.............

There use to be designated sets of bouys just upwind of the swimming area bouys, to mark where windsurfers were to keep upwind of. So it served as a 'flexible zone' between the actual marked swimming zone.
Are these markers still in place?
If not ...why not?
inlandsea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bouys are there as you describe. Some people's disregard for them is as I describe.
Iceratz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There also use to be a board of rules posted at Chair 11 bathhouse with bouys shown and areas of "no sailing" shown. Is that up anywhere?

I relaize that sailing is restricted to Chair 9 with the bird nesting restrictions in place at Chair 11 and beyond, which makes Chair 9 overun and congested, leading to even more problems straying into swim areas.
Its a tough situation to say the least.
inlandsea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are new signs with images from google earth showing people where to sail.

You can windsurf anywhere west of the bouys which makes for a very nice sailing Area.

Kiters are all to launch and land on a very small area from the jetty going east about 150 yards.

You can imagine how tough that can be given the number of kiters confined to a small area.
critter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from this thread that there's lot's of "us" verses "them." As with all conditions in nature, when you put too many rats in the same cage they will turn on one another - tensions rise. One of the best ways to handle this issue is to make it a non-issue. Last Sunday I found myself downwind amongst the windsurfers while practicing my kiteboarding water starts and I was getting dangerously close to the swimming area. I headed for shore and landed my kite. While on the water I also apologized to any windsurfers that I may have rattled and assured them that I was under control and assured them that I had their safety in mind. They all seemed to appreciate my apology to the intrusion.

Phil's answer is correct, respect the rules and if you make a mistake be respectful. Our job is to enlighten the non watercraft masses that we are respectful of their right to enjoy the beach in a manner in which they choose. And, if we are in violation of this, we have done so by mistake and not with reckless abandon. In communication acknowledgement is everything. This will keep the tensions down and not rile up the humans to create an us verses them mentality. RESPECT is a beautiful thing.

As for the few that violate the rules an act disrespectfully, fine them and heavily if need be. I'm sure the townships would enjoy the extra revenue. Post the rules clearly and often at the beaches including a let's say $300 fine.

"Environmental Nazism" I'm apologize for the remark, but on the other side of the fence it's exactly what it feels like. The debate will go on and on, but realize that at least half, actually statistically more so, factually disagree with your premises'. I don't intend to get into a debate but can't you agree there needs to be a balance on perspective. We environmental non-extrememists respect the environment, it's just that we aren't drinking the cool aid, and see more of reasonable approach to the coexistence with nature. Again, you can rant until the cows come home but are majority isn't going to submit by force. Let's respect one another's perspective and meet in the middle.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it interesting that this topic generated 8 pages of posts here at iW, when the same topic got three posts by only two participants on iKitesurf's forum. The kiter's planned protest has been cancelled and they appear confident their presentation tonight (7/2) will turn the tide.

www.ikitesurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18828

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

critter wrote:
I found myself downwind amongst the windsurfers while practicing my kiteboarding water starts and I was getting dangerously close to the swimming area. ... I was under control

Your post was very respectful and mindful of the problems, but those two comments are diametrically opposed, the former action shouts out the latter words, and therein lies the problem. "I was fully in control right up to the point I decapitated that little kid with my lines or cleaved his skull with my fin" satisfies and fools no one.

Moreover, footprint matters, the threat footprint of a kite and its lines is 1,000 times that of a WSer, and the kite threat footprint extends inland to and past the beach. There is no validity in equating their risk to bystanders, not even counting attitude, because this debate adds four whole new dimensions to the old snowboarder vs skier clash:
1. The footprint comparison.
2. Drowning.
3. The lines' swath in addition to two impact points (rider and kite).
4. Threat exists to anyone within range, not just to fellow participants. Do WSers hot launch among little old ladies sitting in their beach chairs (then run and hide after they lose the court battle over the hospital costs)?
Iceratz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickCronk wrote:
I found it interesting that this topic generated 8 pages of posts here at iW, when the same topic got three posts by only two participants on iKitesurf's forum.

Obviously there are FAR more Windsurfers whom are concerned about loosing thier Windsurfing access due to neglegence of Kiters! I think these posts here reflect the urgency to not let it happen at well established Windsurfing access elsewhere!

Isobars, you observations are correct and nailed it on the head as far as the differences between what is considered "safe" by each sports' set of standards.

It also seems to me Kiters have a somewhat "sense of entitlement" attitude , rather than the "we are privileged to have access" as preffered by windsurfers in the past. I read those Kiter forum posts and Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes about the 'protest'....

Is this the "trophy kid" generation we have before us? Laughing
RickCronk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceratz wrote:
RickCronk wrote:
I found it interesting that this topic generated 8 pages of posts here at iW, when the same topic got three posts by only two participants on iKitesurf's forum.

Obviously there are FAR more Windsurfers whom are concerned about loosing thier Windsurfing access due to neglegence of Kiters! I think these posts here reflect the urgency to not let it happen at well established Windsurfing access elsewhere!

Absolutely. I just found it interesting that the iKitesurf followers didn't seem as concerned.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 8 of 20

Jump to: