myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Are weedwave just as fun as wave fins for most conditions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obxaddict

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Are weedwave just as fun as wave fins for most conditions? Reply with quote

I'm thinking single fin board range 90-100L that will be in bump n jump with weeds but waves without weeds.

I'm wondering if I will enjoy a weedwave fin in the waves as much as a pure wave fin for general east coast stuff. Anyone have experience comparing the do-it-all weedwave vs buying 2 dedicated fins?
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear by San Carlos weedfin by Maui Fin.

I replaced regular surf fins with this, its as turny and as "fun" you would ever want...and its weedless!

http://www.mauifin.com/fins/weed-line/wave-sc-series/

As rec'd by locals Wink

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20406
paulf.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i only use this wave sancarlos for all my sailing, even in the non-weed season. fast and loose. 25cm works well with the sail sizes used on 90-100L boards 5.3-6.3. 23 is nice for 5.0. 21 works 4.2-4.5. im 212lbs. trueames weedwave works well below 25cm, gets a bit draggy in bigger sizes.
Ilpescatore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: True Ames Surfgrass Reply with quote

Hi, I am a big fan the True Ames Surfgrass fins, and basically use them all year around on Cape Cod and in SE Mass. They sail very well, to the point I use my regular wave fins (MFC Onshore and Sideshore) only when I go to Maui. I don't even think of them as being weed fins anymore.

The Wardog Surfin' Sports Freeweed fins are similar, and a little looser in waves in my opinion, but I think they only make them in bamboo now. They pop up used once in a while on ebay and the classifieds here.

Like Paul said, there is some drag on the 10.5" and bigger fins due to so much surface area.

Just my 2 cents......>Fish
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: weed fins Reply with quote

Very Happy mfc san carlos 27cm. is the best weed fin out there i have ever used Exclamation used it on 100 ltr.fsw 5.7/4.7.performs like a freewave fin without the weeds Question

Last edited by wdsurf on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surfweed fin mentioned. By true tames is greatness, not tried the San Carlos. I think I would still speckalize in the ocean still.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Are weedwave just as fun as wave fins for most conditions? Reply with quote

obxaddict wrote:

I'm wondering if I will enjoy a weedwave fin in the waves as much as a pure wave fin for general east coast stuff. Anyone have experience comparing the do-it-all weedwave vs buying 2 dedicated fins?

I know good sailors who say yes. For myself the answer is no...a good wave find performs much better than a weed fin in nonweed conditions. The one thing I'll say is those who say they are happy on weed fins are very, very good.

obxaddict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are marginally powered the weeds matter more. The OBX sound would be a good place to test the weed shedding. We have the stringy type that clings to single wave fins and quad wave fins easily.
asiat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MFC San Carlos did not work for me because of those very thin ribbons you speak of in Hatteras while sailing lit up (5.2 - 4.0 80 ltr wave board) in the sound in July. Switched to a 20 cm Makani Mano which I picked up from Andy at Wind NC.
http://www.makanifins.com/Windsurfing_Fins_Weed_Wave_p/ma001.htm
Works great and that's all I use now sound or ocean (ramp 30, lighthouse).
ron.c

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another lazy Cape Codder who switched to a True Ames fin and has never taken it off!

RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: