myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light Air Wavesailing, Gaining Ground in Your Area?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SW is good for side off, pretty clean wind, SE is side on but choppy wind due to wind shadow from island homes, if you go down the end closest to lynn the wind is cleaner. West can be a lot of fun just ripping down the beach and playing with the waves, and you can stay in chest high water the entire lenght of the beach, SWEET!!!
swmckay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
SW is good for side off, pretty clean wind. [...] West can be a lot of fun just ripping down the beach and playing with the waves, and you can stay in chest high water the entire length of the beach, SWEET!!!

Yeah, definitely. I've had a few awesome sessions at Nahant in straight off-shore west wind. It's a bitch getting through the break with the wind right at your back, but once you're past it, it's fantastic. You can do frontside rides all the way down the beach (more than a mile), then turn around and ride frontside all the way back on the other tack. You can 4-5 turns on about 50 waves in a 2 hour session doing this, if you've got the energy.

In autumn NE storm systems, the waves can get huge at Nahant, easily over mast high in the outer breaks.

With a floaty board, you're safe in offshore conditions if there are waves, even if the wind is quite light. They just push you right back to shore.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, basically you can wavesail Nahant in any wind direction, especially with a SUP, but some conditions are more challenging. The easiest conditions are when there is a sideshore component to the wind direction so it's not just pure W or E. Any time the waves are 4' or smaller, which is most of the time, Nahant should be easy for noobs.

I made this blog post two years ago that shows the different ways you're supposed to ride the waves in different wind directions.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2010/11/onshore-offshore-sideshore-frontside.html

There's a video of me wavesailing in side-off winds, but it's kind of embarassing how bad I am. I swear I'm much better now. Wink

antoinebo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know which is worse - No wind at all or this 15 to 20 we've been getting last few days
Just enough to get you excited and yet not enough for my 5.3.

What i need is Josh's 7.9 Point 7 race sail and a good ol' Slalom board

Now that's fun light wind sailing !
critter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"15 to 20 and not enough for the 5.3"...I remember those days. This is why kiting is a great adjunct to my windsurfing. Kiting is working great for me in 10-12 (pretty exhilarating) and in 15 to 20 it's the cat's pajama's. And, I windsurf as well in 15-20. It depends on the conditions and where I'm sailing/kiting.
wilanz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a 145L JP Freeride - 2003 model. I took it out in light winds to compare to my 11'3x29.5" -160L Amundson SUP. The SUP caught more of the little bumps and was more fun as the wind was building up 8-12mph. The JP Board is 9'1 x 27.5" and it took a little more effort to stay balanced but it sailed ok and got me up wind.

As the wind picked up to 12-15mph the big volume JP board came to life. No planing/foot strap moments but close enough to let me catch my buddy that was trying my SUP. once on the little bumps it was fun.

I've enjoyed SUP sailing for almost a year. My SUPs continue shrinking and windsurf boards growing. I figured at some point I would find something right in the middle that would work good for my local conditions(Jupiter, FL), weight and experience. So far this JP 145 with a 6.0 Ezzy Panther is doing the trick. I just need some waves to confirm. Ive had the 11'3 SUP out sailing in head high waves with light 10-12 mph winds. We shall see how this JP does.

I also want to check out a 190L mistral that's for sale locally. At 9'6x30" it's bigger than some of my SUPs and the retractable centerboard is a nice feature for light wind sailing.
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Rabbit, that was me.
Just having fun in the shorebreak on a Munoz11 with a self-deployed masttrack. hooting back and forth with my kids' boogie board hui.

Would have definitely been having more fun on a Kona

A Prindle ? .....

obxaddict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't believe windsurf companies aren't putting their wind SUP products on national TV commercials. The way I look at it wind SUPs are the best way to grow windsurfing. I think it is wonderful that wave sailing experts are getting out in light wind when people are actually on the beach to see those skills! Most east coast wave sailing conditions don't attract folks who aren't into getting sand blasted.

The only sailing I do with my wife now is on the wind SUPs and we have a blast through the summer months. Great opportunities to get more women and younger people exposed to sailing. LWFS is the sanity saver inland.

A similar thread from a while back.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21423&highlight=
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for those of us who insist that there is only one board/one brand that will truly plane, and that straps are neccessary

http://www.continentseven.com/2012/07/01/strapless-sup-speedsailing-video/

Not much to do with light air wave sailing, and i'm glad the dude was wearing a helmet, but amusing none the less

wdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: sea lions in rasta Reply with quote

Very Happy finally got them been paddling flat water they are fine Very Happy had a little wind floated good with the rig Exclamation beautiful finish,pad and they fit in the van with all the other gear Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: