myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Trifin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im dying to try them out, but the wind/sun is nowhere to be seen..and I cant seem to find the thrusters Laughing
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
I went with thrusters installed on my 8.2 OO for many years without taking them off... happy camper. Then I took them off one day and never looked back.... much happier camper now. It's a looser feel without the thrusters, it just works better for my style of sailing.

Wow! From the pics I've seen of you in way nukin' conditions I'm kinda surprised at that. That and the fact that my 80l and 95l feel so loose with them in. Time to experiment!

Check yer PM's Cool

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention. BRIAN @ OO ......I stopped and talked with him for a long time this AM.

QUATRO will have a fri fin next year

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
A 3 fin will go upwind better

If the center is being pushed so hard that the thrusters are all that's preventing spinout. Otherwise the Trifin thrusters on most boards, very likely including Chaco's old board, are not foiled and are very small and thus produce little lift. I don't think Chaco's likely to get much, if any, lift from them yet, considering that he's not in the straps yet. I suspect from things he's said that he's still sailing significantly underpowered.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Funny you mention. BRIAN @ OO ......I stopped and talked with him for a long time this AM.

Cool! I would have loved to hear that conversation! Brian's a fun guy to talk to. Wish I was closer to the Gorge. Did he show you the plugs?

brettn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make my 2005 rrd fsw 94 turn better (and also out of boredom) i stopped by fiberglass supply the other day and picked up two fcs fin boxes and small thruster fins. After 30 seconds or a minute of meticulous measuring i revved up the router and made some holes for the new fin boxes. On the first try i put them on the top of the board accidentally. Not really. Haha.

I mixed up a bit of epoxy and cut a few pieces of e glass and installed them. The boxes have 3 degrees of cant (which sounds so negative to me i prefer to call if 3 degrees of can). They are insalled with a sixteenth of an inch of toe. After 4 rides i would say they are a detriment in borderline wind and are extremely fun in powered gorge rollers. All my turns got sharper, throw more spray, and cause spontaneous rider hoots of joy.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:
A 3 fin will go upwind better

If the center is being pushed so hard that the thrusters are all that's preventing spinout. Otherwise the Trifin thrusters on most boards, very likely including Chaco's old board, are not foiled and are very small and thus produce little lift. I don't think Chaco's likely to get much, if any, lift from them yet, considering that he's not in the straps yet. I suspect from things he's said that he's still sailing significantly underpowered.

the ones on mine are asymmetric foils and decently sized, Ill take a picture if I ever find them, I usually sail well powered, at least I did last season, this season most of the times ive been out the winds were a bit light for my 6.8. I usually use .5-1m bigger than everyone else. Im hoping for a well powered 4.5 day though to try it out.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:

Cool! I would have loved to hear that conversation! Brian's a fun guy to talk to. Wish I was closer to the Gorge. Did he show you the plugs?

I listened ...his 20 degree of cant is too much for me..but he has shaped boards for a LONG time. Not keen on the futures box.. but better than the glass on. If I finish my projects I will drag my WITCHCRAFT IN and let him have a look...that should be fun

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettn wrote:
To make my 2005 rrd fsw 94 turn better (and also out of boredom) i stopped by fiberglass supply the other day and picked up two fcs fin boxes and small thruster fins. After 30 seconds or a minute of meticulous measuring i revved up the router and made some holes for the new fin boxes. On the first try i put them on the top of the board accidentally. Not really. Haha.

I mixed up a bit of epoxy and cut a few pieces of e glass and installed them. The boxes have 3 degrees of cant (which sounds so negative to me i prefer to call if 3 degrees of can). They are insalled with a sixteenth of an inch of toe. After 4 rides i would say they are a detriment in borderline wind and are extremely fun in powered gorge rollers. All my turns got sharper, throw more spray, and cause spontaneous rider hoots of joy.

WHAT fins are you using? 1/16" WOW. Nice measure

mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found them Very Happy Heres my set up.. they are asymmetrical, I assume the flat side goes in. Anyone have any suggestions as far as how far forward or back they should go?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: