myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf gear at Wyndham Tangerine Cabarete?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickCronk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Windsurf gear at Wyndham Tangerine Cabarete? Reply with quote

I've left it to my wife and daughter to choose our next vacation. They pick a little known town in the DR. Much to my surprise it's Cabarete. Little known? Whoop, whoop!

Well the all inclusive hotel/resort they've chosen is the Wyndham on the west end of the bay. They list on site windsurfing. Anyone here have an idea what kind of gear they have onsite?

Otherwise, I'm Vela bound. Wink

chadperkins

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there about 4 years ago and it looked like Vela had the biggest selection. There was a Mistral rental shop as well as an F2 rental shop. Make sure you get insurance the waves can get big there. Also make sure you ask what board and sails are covered by the insurance if you are in the waves. When I was there 6.2 sails and bigger as well as all non-wave boards were not covered by insurance if you were in the waves. The beach is no all that big and we were able to walk to any place that we needed to go. Aslo DO NOT DRINK THE WATER. I learned this the hard way.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chadperkins wrote:
I was there about 4 years ago and it looked like Vela had the biggest selection. There was a Mistral rental shop as well as an F2 rental shop. Make sure you get insurance the waves can get big there. Also make sure you ask what board and sails are covered by the insurance if you are in the waves. When I was there 6.2 sails and bigger as well as all non-wave boards were not covered by insurance if you were in the waves. The beach is no all that big and we were able to walk to any place that we needed to go. Aslo DO NOT DRINK THE WATER. I learned this the hard way.

Thanks Chad, I've got all that, there's a Bic center as well. Still curious as to what gear is available at the Wyndham resort. As an all inclusive, the gear is "free". Of course "free" hotel gear may be crap. The Wyndham is also about dead center of kite beach, so Vela may be the best bet regardless.

scargo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they have decent equipment, which I doubt, that's not a good place to windsurf from. In the winter months, there can be a huge shorebreak there, and at all times you'll be fighting lots of kiters. And if you want to play on the reef, which is what Cabarete is all about, that will put you on very shallow part of it. The expert locals play down there, but the rest of us stay more to the east.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scargo, that much I've gathered from prior experience, friends and google maps etc. We'll be there late August early Sept. barring any hurricanes etc.
Thanks all, we're set to go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: