myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Euro vs us?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Euro vs us? Reply with quote

Not an economics question but a mast base one

Are euro-pin bases worth changing over to?

Convenience/reliability/other?????

I've been on US with no issues for many years.
So whats the Euro hype all about (or is that just soccer)?
hemmy007

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main issue I see with the euro, if you WS where
you have to rig and launch in lots of sand/dirt.

I have seen someone at out side upper kanaha on a mast+ surf day with four.oh wind 'unclip' the euro pin while jibing
and had board take off one way leaving the sailor with the rig in hand.

I was able to grab his board and my buddy helped with three of us putting his rig back together on the water, allowing him to safely sail back in. Oh, and we had to wash a bit of sand out of the connector hole before clipping it back in. The sand prevented the internal click from holding and on the first big jibe it disconnected.

With the standard connector, you can visually inspect to confirm the connection, whereas with the euro pin you can see it click, but might not be sure it is connected.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you my take. I switched to the Euro-pin type mast base at the time I made the change to RDMs. The reason to go with the Euro-pin was grounded in the release of Chinook's SS mastbase. In my view, it was a superior design that I thought was worth working off of. My historical problem with two-pin cup design universals was the fact that the junction between the the cup assembly and the top of the tendon or hourglass assembly would get wobbly over time. Brand didn't matter. It got to the point where I was replacing my universals yearly.

What I found making the change to the Euro-pin design was finding the best mast base to use with it. I bought Fiberspar, Chinook (both carbon and aluminum) and Streamlined aluminum mast bases. The one that I used most regularly is the Chinook aluminum one. I have to say though, that the Streamlined base is a very long extension that I only use for one sail, so I used it less often. That said, I liked the Chinook design better because the Euro-pin engagement button assembly. I found that the Streamlined's button and plastic stop mechanism to be untoward, as you have to plan around the tackstrap, and its attachment to the mast extension/universal components. While I've always preferred Fiberspar's groove and ring design for height adjustment, their base and carbon tube assembly design was totally unacceptable. As I see it, a bad design overall, as the tube wouldn't maintain its perpendicularity to the plastic base/pulley assembly. Moreover, they had zero customer support. That killed them with me. That was a big disappointment, because I loved all my old SDM carbon mast bases with the two-pin base component.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our surf beaches are all sandy. Everything from board, rig, wetsuit, car, and eyeballs gets sandblasted on windy days. We even use it as a rigging guide. (You know - sand flying just so, 5.4 - cats and dogs bowled over, 4.2 - cows and the odd tree hurtling overhead, go home!)

If in doubt about the Euro base clip we stop at the waters edge, disconnect, and flush it out before sailing. As a further precaution (having once lost a board which seperated in the rough sea and swept away far faster than possible to swim, leaving a long swim back in, leaving rig behind also) I use a 2 foot length of elastic cord with a snap clip on each end, one clip to the deck plate which is drilled to take a short rope loop, and the other clip to the downhaul lines.

Of course, it can be a nuisance if you gybe or tack one way too often (tightens up), or if you catch your size 12 feet in it in surf, and invent new ways of wiping out, but it guarantees keeping board and rig together, even if the pin snaps. (Unclip, dump rig, and surf/swim just board in if in trouble.)

Anyone who's faced that moment of panic when way out at sea alone and you lose the board and can't chase it down will appreciate where I'm coming from. What's a little inconvenience when it could save your skin?

P.S. I also fasten a bolt with thin rope in the front of the mast tracks on all my boards which can be fastened to the deck plate rope loop. (Just in case that unscrews.)
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darwin says if one were overwhelmingly better than the other, there would only be one. That being said I use Euro for my RDM & US for my SDM. Rolling Eyes

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemmy007 wrote:
had board take off one way leaving the sailor with the rig in hand.

Don't feel bad; that has happened to sailors for thousands of years, in bars all over the world.

Oh, you said "board", not "broad"

Never mind.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
[quote
Never mind.

Never do

jpf18

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro vs us? Reply with quote

DonORiordan wrote:

I've been on US with no issues for many years.

If it works for you why change. I am saying this as user of Euro pin ever since starting windsurfing. I see no reason to switch to US, especially since Chinook came out with the one piece U-joint. I have a bunch floating around in my gear bag, rotate them and replace them regularly, just because. Works great in combination with the two bolt base and Chinook extensions. I don't mess with anything else anymore.
Always check for positive engagement before launching; same as US, it's just not as obvious if somethings not OK.
In addition to what has been said, I have seen friends sheer off Euro pins. Both cases I suspect due to wear beyond the useful life. I pay attention to the area where the pin meets its base. If it shows corrosion, it's a goner. In the end similar caution with regards to the useful lifespan apply to US as well though.
Also, in my experience, older bases/u-joint assemblies consisting of multiple pieces will rattle out of shape just like their US counterparts.
Finally, you want to keep sand/dirt away from your gear all the time no matter US or Euro... Even if there's less trouble with extension and cup, you still end up with two mast pieces baked together.
rhawkins

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: euro v us Reply with quote

I changed to the euro pin a couple of years ago. Recently bought a 180 l board to learn tricks and tacks on. I wanted a mechanical universal so I wouldn't have to turn the board to attach the mast. The euro pin doesn't come with the mechanical universal. Boo.
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: brilliant Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
hemmy007 wrote:
had board take off one way leaving the sailor with the rig in hand.

Don't feel bad; that has happened to sailors for thousands of years, in bars all over the world.

Oh, you said "board", not "broad"

Never mind.

BRILLIANT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: