myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quads in The Gorge?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlightlySalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single fins rip. You just have to have a good one and set it up right and know how to ride it.
So far I'm single fin all the way for gorge type sailing. Just no need for the extra drag, weight and fins.
If I were living near a sweet wave break, I'd have a quad as well. But my single fin will turn as hard and fast as your quad. Wink
chophop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After sailing quads for about a year, I love them in decent waves in the Ocean or in really good river swell or ebb swell in The Bay.
There you are sort of doing "simulated" wave riding moves whenever possible.

I do think that single fins are a bit faster on top end speed and pop loose on to a plane a bit more easily than quads.
I feel that quads plane out at slower speed but take a bit more sail power to get planing and certainly do not accelerate when footed down wind as quick as a single fin.

Still undecided about which would be more fun. I think in overpowered Gorge conditions with big river swell the quads are superior, but if you are under powered and trying to coax the board on to a plane a wide single fin may be better.

Someone told me that many pro riders are actually reverting to single fins for wave riding, but I have not personally seen this.

Any more thoughts after another year of testing? Question
surfersteve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sold my quad and went back to a single fin Mistral wave board, but love the RealWinds tri fins. Quads can't get going well enough in strong current without a steady swell to push them. Nearly every pro I sail with at the Hatch has gone away from them for pretty much similar reasons.
akjindal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Maui earlier this year for a Guy Cribb wave sailing clinic and he put us all on quads. I hated it and went back to a tri-fin, which is what I sail in the Gorge. I probably lost some of the advantage of the quad for the wave riding but I had a much easier time actually getting out to where I needed to be to catch a wave.

My observation was that quads require you to sail more on the rail of the board going out into waves with low power in order to stay upwind and then make use of the quad-fins when riding the waves back in.

Gorge sailing isn't like that, you can ride swells in both directions fully powered up and having a larger fin the water (instead of 4 small fins) helps with tracking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: