myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Launching from Coast Guard Station/Pier near GGB N Tower?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Launching from Coast Guard Station/Pier near GGB N Tower? Reply with quote

I'm sure there is a link discussing this topic, can someone direct me to it?

Interested in if/when this is possible -- to both launch and return safely.

Thanks.
damel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Friday I was totally overpowered at the North Tower and landed at the beach near the coast guard station to crank down/out haul. Another sailor sailed in when I was there and came in at some of the rocks, probably closer to where you can park and rig, plus he avoided the wind shadow I had to get through.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drive down to Ft.Baker, turn E at the little cove, and park right there above the rock jetty.
Going out, carefully walk down one set of rocks, drop your rig into the water, jump in. It's usually almost too light to waterstart right there, so swim out 20 yards.
Coming in, some guys sail past the rocks, climb up from the inside of the cove, but it get's slippery with lower tides. Most just sail into the launch area, just W, and clamber up the rocks separating the rig and board.
It's an ebb spot, and you gotta pay attention the winds stay UP, or you don't get back to the launch.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure, most sailors come in at the launch, since the winds are light, and no problem separating the rig and board, then clamber up in two trips. Board up on rocks, then get the sail.
Slime problem at lower tides if you sail inside the cove, and try to climb out the rocks.
Some guys on floatier boards make it to the beach, but that's a slog.
victor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not launch where everyone else does?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just end this little thread.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we worried our little private spot will get overcrowded? Right now, on the SW ebb days, you get 3 sailors launching from there. Too crowded?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee..I havent seen you there for 10 years, when was the last time ?
The crowd isnt the problem, I love it when there are 20 guys in the lot, its been 10 years since that last happened. I'm worried about the Coast Guard shutting it down.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point!
We should stress that you not only have to be an expert sailor already, but you have to watch for ongoing ebb tides, the outgoing shipping channel is right thru your path, if the winds veer or start to die just slightly to head towards the jetty a few reaches, and sometimes, things go against you and a swim is in your cards.
And be aware, you cannot follow any Crissy launched sailors into the middle of the bay or the City side, in case the winds switch to W or NW, and also those sailors are using much bigger rigs and boards than the Northside launchers.
victor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing to consider regarding the coast guard and no. tower:

they do not like to see windsurfers slogging or swimming in the entrance to the marina. In case of an emergency they want to be able to speed through there.

i was in the water in that channel and they wouldn't let me swim the short, 30 ft. to the rocks. instead they hauled me aboard and dropped me off at the farthest corner of the marina scratching up a brand new sail in the process.

and, yes, for experienced, healthy sailors with sound equipment only. many of the best ones have ended up a long way from the launch. on a flood one friend was picked up somewhere east of alcatraz and dropped off in tiburon. that was some walk of shame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: