myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light Air Wavesailing, Gaining Ground in Your Area?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windnc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Light Air Wavesailing, Gaining Ground in Your Area? Reply with quote

I have been thoroughly enjoying light wind wave sailing for the last 6-7 years or so primarily down on the south end of Hatteras Island, and other spots on the coast of SE Virginia and North Carolina such as Sandbridge in VA Beach and Surf City/Topsail Island, NC. I still can't figure out why more people are not taking advantage of the fun as it is such a great way to get out, sail, and catch a few waves when the winds are too light to short board. It also is a great option for those light side on conditions that all too frequently seem to occur.

I originally started doing this on a 135ltr Highfly MADD twin fin with a couple of wave fins and a 7.4 wave sail. This match actually worked pretty darn well. I still ride this board occassionaly and amazingly it still is a lot of fun to ride.

Several years ago I picked up a Kona 11'5 which is now one of my most used boards. Coupled with an Aerotech Phantom 7.5 this set up is perfect for easy cruising out over the surf, gets up on a plane easily, and is quite fast for a board of its size. It's a whole lot of fun to surf as well. Many, many days of light side-on to side-off conditions with waves 1-5' plus, have made me love the ability to get out with the Kona 11-5 and have a whole lot of fun.

Now I have just recently got a couple of my windsurfing students set up with the new Exocet WindSup. They both live on the southern coast of North Carolina where winds are often lighter but plenty of opportunities for both light wind wave sailing, SUP surfing, and flat water SUP paddling abound. I think this is going to be another classic and perfect light wind wave sailing board and can hardly wait to give it a try.
Anyway, if you are lucky enough to always have windy short board wave sailing conditions then that is great, but if more times than not the wind is 5-15knots, then a light wind wavesailing setup is such a great option to have especially if you can also use it to SUP and vice versa.

Go give it a try!
kajTEK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHH thanks so much for the sealions side off wind input!!.. as in Florida(esp Gulf).. its alllll side-on to onshore wind IF we have any waves.. very rare to get sideoff and waves.. so i cant get a board for sideoff wind.
so i'm glad for this input.. do you thing their otehr boards.. like there 9' summerboard or what else isthere in the size range that can do onshore wind.. is that where those longboard sup sails boards come in.. i dont want to get anything over 9.5ft as i need to keep it in the car to keep it safe

Quote:
btbill: Another consideration for the SeaLion is that it is best suited for side to side-off conditions. Side-on I have found that in light air the board is usually swept out from under my feet with no straps

ohh found some vids here is one of the sealion in action.. this video makes me want to get on one of these asap.. like last year.. .. but notice the video is copyrighted 2013 .. the board is so good everyone rides it inthe future!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TL6NI42nqE&feature=relmfu
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wind SUP catches every wave no matter how onshore. one can literally snag anything way off the wind. it's stupid easy. allows for tons of wave sailing in side on to really off shore. planes, paddles, teaches, wave sails. but, i have yet to need to paddle. i am a windsurfer, discussing windsurfing on a windsurfing forum.

http://www.exocet-original.com/wind-sup118.php

that said, i've still got many a day with my 11'5 going on concurrently as well. the culture of planing only seems to be the largest impediment. sad, to think i've been sailing solo dozens of days with short boarders watching for hours, hoping the forecast will eventually come true. they see me catching thousands of waves, and still would rather not participate.

sadder still, the wind surprises me, and it blows very well, and the option for me to come in and rig smaller is there, but the short board crowd never even knew it was going off. when that happens, most times, i keep on sailing with either of the long boards i started with that day.

BTW, wlianz was at a paddle event this past weekend. reported that the race started with lots of folks and nearly no one finished. gotta wonder about the "staying power" of that crowd? of course, the wind was 10-18 that day....

playalinda shot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.57 KB
 Viewed:  14206 Time(s)

playalinda shot.jpg

10'5 DTL Nice!.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.23 KB
 Viewed:  14206 Time(s)

10'5 DTL Nice!.jpg

backsideaerial7.5phantomon11'5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.43 KB
 Viewed:  14208 Time(s)

backsideaerial7.5phantomon11'5.jpg

playlinda shot 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.58 KB
 Viewed:  14209 Time(s)

playlinda shot 3.jpg

Kona 1 playalinda Josh.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.42 KB
 Viewed:  14209 Time(s)

Kona 1 playalinda Josh.jpg

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott I was at Nahant tonight with Martin, at least 15 supers and 20 or so prone guys . The waves were small but super clean, I was getting some very long rides , lots of fun!!!!!
My board has a mast track which I have not used much, but after a year of wave riding I realize you are much better off putting on the sail when its blowing over say ten mph, paddling in the wind and chop is a bitch

Here is a great link I found with some very good tips on riding waves and suping.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/Articles/Stand%20Up%20Paddle/Summary.aspx

Matt
btbill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kajTEK wrote:
AHH thanks so much for the sealions side off wind input!!.. as in Florida(esp Gulf).. its alllll side-on to onshore wind IF we have any waves.. very rare to get sideoff and waves.. so i cant get a board for sideoff wind.
so i'm glad for this input.. do you thing their otehr boards.. like there 9' summerboard or what else isthere in the size range that can do onshore wind.. is that where those longboard sup sails boards come in.. i dont want to get anything over 9.5ft as i need to keep it in the car to keep it safe

Atlantic side in FL, do you get side to side off, even if its only blowing 10 mph...basically a sea breeze? If so, then the SeaLion will work great! No need to plane on the board, only when in the wave zone. 10 to 15 mph wind is the absolute best on the board running a 5.0m sail. Just at sub planing wind power, but once on the swell, its up and running smooth on plane!

Note, I had my SeaLion out tonight in Nags Head in 5 mph side shore wind! Caught a few waves while out for the 45 min session. Surf could have been a little better, but I will take it for summer. More tomorrow?!

PS: for the weekend warriors, Hatteras SW in the forecast for Friday (SSW 20+ mph) and low tide is on our side with late afternoon drop. Ramp 30 remains open! (will load the SeaLion and 92 Twin) Very Happy
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

side shore to side off is rare in florida. also, i've tried the SL head to head vs other stuff, if the wind picks up, i do not care for it. if the waves get big, i do not care for it. if the wind is punky, i do not care for it. but, if the wind is a solid 10-12 mph, and side shore, it is fun. that's the problem in florida. we get none of those steady state occurrences enough for me to want a super short and wide board vs a 100-115 liter onshore wave board, or a longer board that helps deal with the less than steady state conditions.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
wdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: sea lions Reply with quote

Very Happy the wife and i have been waiting 4 months for our sea lions!they just got a shipment in and shipped them.so i hope i can add some comments soon Question
btbill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
side shore to side off is rare in florida. also, i've tried the SL head to head vs other stuff, if the wind picks up, i do not care for it. if the waves get big, i do not care for it. if the wind is punky, i do not care for it. but, if the wind is a solid 10-12 mph, and side shore, it is fun. that's the problem in florida. we get none of those steady state occurrences enough for me to want a super short and wide board vs a 100-115 liter onshore wave board, or a longer board that helps deal with the less than steady state conditions.

Yea, that is one bonus here on the OBX, we always have side off somewhere on the islands in most all wind directions. Just a little driving.

Your assessment of the SL is fairly accurate too. Stronger wind, it gets squirrely (I usually come into the beach at that point and swap out the SL for my Quatro 92 Twin). Bigger surf, especially hollow/steep faces and it can be tough (I am hoping to get the SL Pro out here soon for Tropical season to see how that board works in larger surf). 10-15 mph wind is its ideal range with a 5.0m sail.

The biggest seller though for me on the SL is its turning ability and looseness though on the wave. Closest to "standard wavesailing" I have found in the light air front, along with ability to hang in the surf zone easily with its snappy transitions.
Number-nine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using my 10'6" starboard drive in the surf for the last 4 years
Befor that I was playing around with the mistral pacifico maybe 2 years

Bassically as soon as SUPs showed up with mast tracks

I normally use a 5.3M or 5.7M sail. 5.3 prefered
I do not care if I can plane going out
Have had some really fun days in every thing from ankle high to over head surf

Most of the time we can find side off to side shore. But onshore works too.'

Fitted out my 9' coreban with a nast track but have not tried it sailing yet..

I also find that if it were 10-15 and side off it is really easy to ride a 100+ liter FSW with the 5.3 or 5.7 and have had many great sesions with that setup.

No jumping or planing going out but plenty of wave rides.

Here in the NE there really are not that many windsurfers willing to go into the surf. and frequently the best surf spots are not that reliable for wind.
So no that many people into it here.
swmckay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterkimball wrote:
I normally use a 5.3M or 5.7M sail. 5.3 preferred.
I do not care if I can plane going out. Have had some really fun days in every thing from ankle high to over head surf.

Yep, what you said. I'm waiting for an overhead day. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: