myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2012 Tabou Dacurve Quadster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obxaddict

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: 2012 Tabou Dacurve Quadster Reply with quote

A little info on the board. I am hoping we can use the forum to share experiences on what works well and how this board compares to others.

http://ncboardrider.blogspot.com/2012/05/first-look-at-tabou-dacurve-quadster.html
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure you have a question or just a free for all discussion. The '11 and '12 boards as you have presented are the same in name only, the fin configurations are different.

I HAVE NOT ridden the '12, the '11 85L , I did demo, thanks for Andy of Wind NC, and found it , will carry a 6.0m (153.5lbs here) sloggs nicely, turned rather wide for my taste( but what difference does it matter when you fall in anyway) very wide footstraps, even compared to a Witchcraft,
the board seemed 85L, yet it feels smaller on the water, liked it, was looking at the 93L Tabou Quad, but have held off that purchase. Could be sailed as a quad or twin.

the '12 Quad, 5 fin machine, has had a lot of comments on the Tabou forum, which is down for a week or more, it has a very different fin set up than the '11, and will work as a tri fin, quad or single, the rear quad fins are more towards the rail, and been through this already with Matt that US10 guy, don't support a twin, Tabou description support this in that they mention not a twin option.

What I have found on quads is they support a huge range of sail size,
will not plane as early as a single ( unless fins, toe, fin size is dead center)
will go upwind better and offer overall better turning, turning being a matter of personal preference, as will be size fins, ie: all the same size or more mainstream 15s & 10s and all the variations in between, including your mention of larger fins forward, '10 Starboard quad comes to mind.

I have found in addition to size fins that different shaped fins from numerous companies will also offer different characteristics, notable K4 the high tech plastic and very affordable one from the UK, are really good for looseness, yet go upwind nicely. MUFs X-Waves when powered up
are great, overall have found the Black Project Fins to work BEST in a varity of conditions. List includes, MFC, Tarifa,Makani and handmade ProBox G10s .

Tabou s in the van: Pocket Wave single, 85L, Rocket 135L
Fins in the boxes : too many to list

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swmckay

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
What I have found on quads is they support a huge range of sail size, will not plane as early as a single (unless fins, toe, fin size is dead center), will go upwind better and offer overall better turning, turning being a matter of personal preference...

I've only sailed the Goya Custom Pro Quad 92, but this is my experience, too.

I've come to agree with Peter Kimball: single fin freewave shape for bump and jump (2012 Fanatic Freewave 85 in my case) and a quad for basically all wave conditions (2012 Goya Quad 92). Add a freestyle board and a SUP, and you're good for pretty much everything in New England, except hurricanes when a sub-80 liter board might be a better call.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for B & J the single, is the ticket for "most"

but I would rather ride a tri or quad, but it depends on where, both Rio Vista and somewhere in the Colombia River Gorge the multis come into their own.

For real waves sailors the 4 fins are the way to go.

The reassurance of multis has and its a surprise created some new development in single fins.

Not sure this is direction the OP wanted but.........

obxaddict

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good stuff guys. I agree you still have to have that FSW as a go to. My bread and butter board is a 112L Kode with a tuttle box. Yeah, a friggin tuttle box but any way I LOVE the board. Wave sailing to lake light wind freestyle. The one that gets used the most is the sailable SUP though. I paddle surf quite a bit too.

The quadster is for the nukin sound seshes and everything else in the waves. Next chance I get I'm going to put the big fins forward like the Starboard setup and see what happens.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend had modified his Starboard '10 quad to carry all mini tuttle boxes, he much prefers the large fins forward, from memory 16s & 12s, he has added toe and some twist to the fins. The fin positions on this are closer to a real quad VS a twin with little forward thrusters than anything else from a production company.

I rode this in April and it is one of the better multi fins I have ever been on, 86L .

With the fin on your '12, this to me a definite option.

xander.arch

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a 74l 2012 dacurve for a few weeks now. I'm absolutely in love with this board. I can definately feel this board taking my wave sailing to the next level as it is incredibly nimble, quick turning, and just fun to sail.

For me at about 155lbs it absolutely rips in both bigger and slushier waves. It slogs very well, rips front and back foot turns, keeps speed on the waves, and gets planning quick enough to be a one board quiver for me. Probably the single best trait is that I do not feel at all limited by this board - rather the board has been challenging me to see what it can do. This is really helping me push my limits and making me a better sailor. I def feel like I chose the right board to really improve my wavesailing!

I bought it exclusively for waddell waves, but since right now its my only board I've also used it a few days for SF bay b&J. Maybe its the four fins or the rocker, but I've got to say that for bay sailing it just feels slow and a bit draggy. This is probably a symptom of full on quad waves boards in general. I'll probbaly end up getting another board for the bay - maybe a tabou pocket 80? I did try the board in tri fin mode for bump and jump. It felt a bit quicker to plane and a little faster than in quad mode, but didn't have as nice of turn and didn't head upwind nearly as well. But since I didn't sail the tri fin option in the waves I can't really evaluate how the board turns with three fins. It did feel like it could use a slightly bigger center fin. I think the center fin is 17cm so I'm considering buying an aftermarket 19cm to test which may improve the board's bump and jump abilities.

Overall - I give this board two massive thumbs up for waves. For bump and jump there are defintely better options.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting.

also you are my weight.

The draggy feel I think is in part the reluctance of MOST of the board companies to apply any toe in and use other than mainstream 50/50 foils.

My thought process on the conversion photo is lengthy, but its a 74L RRD wave twin, now a quad, just finished , and hope to get wet in Hood River in a few weeks. I have sailed the board as a twin, and its really fun, and can still sail it like that, just block off the sides. Fins are set up in combo of Goya, Quatro, Tabou and MOO with a touch of Simmer boards all providing some guidance on fin placement.

one other comment: I have a Pocket Wave 85L 2009 light version, its the last year before they went tri, I had considered a tri conversion , but after careful consideration will keep it as a single. It is a magic board, and I really like it just the way it is.

Its doubtful I will get to Calif this season, long long story, but if so your welcome to try it, or any others I happen to have in the van.

obxaddict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really digging my 85L. Finally had 3 consecutive days of waves on it! Side-on, offshore all in tri fin mode. Also got a chance to get a real feel for the range. I like. I agree with xander about bump & jump- not so good for that.

I'm 155 lbs and thinking of a FSW or wave that can be a couple sizes up from the Dacurve 85L. Anyone have luck with boards that have similar feel and transition easily down to the dacurve wave board?

xander.arch wrote:
I have had a 74l 2012 dacurve for a few weeks now. I'm absolutely in love with this board. I can definately feel this board taking my wave sailing to the next level as it is incredibly nimble, quick turning, and just fun to sail.

For me at about 155lbs it absolutely rips in both bigger and slushier waves. It slogs very well, rips front and back foot turns, keeps speed on the waves, and gets planning quick enough to be a one board quiver for me. Probably the single best trait is that I do not feel at all limited by this board - rather the board has been challenging me to see what it can do. This is really helping me push my limits and making me a better sailor. I def feel like I chose the right board to really improve my wavesailing!

I bought it exclusively for waddell waves, but since right now its my only board I've also used it a few days for SF bay b&J. Maybe its the four fins or the rocker, but I've got to say that for bay sailing it just feels slow and a bit draggy. This is probably a symptom of full on quad waves boards in general. I'll probbaly end up getting another board for the bay - maybe a tabou pocket 80? I did try the board in tri fin mode for bump and jump. It felt a bit quicker to plane and a little faster than in quad mode, but didn't have as nice of turn and didn't head upwind nearly as well. But since I didn't sail the tri fin option in the waves I can't really evaluate how the board turns with three fins. It did feel like it could use a slightly bigger center fin. I think the center fin is 17cm so I'm considering buying an aftermarket 19cm to test which may improve the board's bump and jump abilities.

Overall - I give this board two massive thumbs up for waves. For bump and jump there are defintely better options.
obxaddict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I traded my 112L kode for a 94L kode. Oh yeah. Very nice coverage for b&j and lots of waves.

I've also had a few more 85L dacurve seshes. It didn't occur to me previously but I should mention the sail quiver I've been using is ezzy wave se from 04-08. North has an informative page on quads and newer sails.

http://www.north-windsurf.com/eng/nodes/display/pages/pro%E2%80%98s-con%E2%80%98s-wave-sails

I'm still struggling to keep upwind but I'm not sure how much of this is quad and how much is my first time on a pure wave rocker. Can anyone suggest fins or some other things that can help with keeping upwind? I'm loving the board on the wave just need to catch more waves!

Thanks for your thoughts.

obxaddict wrote:
I'm really digging my 85L. Finally had 3 consecutive days of waves on it! Side-on, offshore all in tri fin mode. Also got a chance to get a real feel for the range. I like. I agree with xander about bump & jump- not so good for that.

I'm 155 lbs and thinking of a FSW or wave that can be a couple sizes up from the Dacurve 85L. Anyone have luck with boards that have similar feel and transition easily down to the dacurve wave board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: