myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River camping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:

I have an eleven year old Bimmer. Best car I have ever owned. (including Subie that needed a suspension rebuild at 50k).

Ive found that car reliability depends mostly on who you ask, though some do seem to hold up better with proper maintenance (and some fall apart much more willingly without it). The most reliable car I ever had was my 2000 mustang GT/Went up to 140K miles and the only time I ever had to do anything but oil changes was when I changed the alternator ( in the parking lot of the autozone with just an adjustable wrench, try that with most cars), it never saw a shop in its life and only gave out when I underestimated an arizona flash flood.. My current BMW was previously owned by a guy with a lot of and money and many friends at the local BMW dealer who did every maintenance possible, so I suspect it will go for quite a while
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU WOULD PROBABLY BE AMAZED THEN OUR 1987 Honda CRX SI

went 285K with nothing other than an alternator, 1 new radiator, on the original clutch, the remainder are normal wear items, as tires brakes and a hose or 2.

all the while getting never less than 34MPG, and faster than a PORSCHE 924 of the same year

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like one of those, maybe a year or two newer... hatch for all the gear, mpg to go anywhere and maybe even room for a tight bed with the seats folded. Only problem is that people seem to think that theyre made of gold recently. I like the mid 90's civic dx/hx, I worked on a friends once and there was nothing to the engine, looks like you could take the engine out (probably with your bare hands) in abut 20 minutes. Reliabililty is one thing, but being able to take it apart like its a go cart and have a new engine in for the cost of a tune up on most cars sounds real nice.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of mountain men is sounding eerily familiar. I do not recall the bit about vaseline but wasn't there a post here about mountain men hanging around Stevenson, leering and hanging around the showers. I have never seen such a thing myself except maybe out at the Wall.

Say, speaking of old topics, what ever happened to Darcy?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
I changed the alternator ( in the parking lot of the autozone with just an adjustable wrench, try that with most cars

My '88 Ford Econoline ate at least one alternator per year, sometimes 2-3/year, one lasted less than 20 minutes. I always carried a spare and got used to changing them any time, anywhere, even on a hot engine. On my '72 Blazer it was starters; changed the lying in snow and once while lying in a running stream. No brand is immune to recurrent problems.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80's ford vs 2000's ford is practically a different brand. I might have the local dealer interested in the subaru trade. It would be a bit sad to trade my shiny BMW for a slightly beat up subaru, but its a couple years newer and sadly has about the same resale value up here.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BMW has moved to Mcminnville and its time to go car camping Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: