myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Check before gype!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
the only thing that keeps us from hitting each other is courtesy, ROW rules, and being constantly aware of who is around you.....

When courtesy and ROW clash (e.g., a guy below me who can outpinch me demands that I jump in the water so he can go through), the laws and he can go to hell. BT,DT, and he shouldn't bet his eggshell World Cup board against my 20-pound Clark Foam sinker and my generosity. Ditto insisting that I hold my course just because I'm on starboard.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze Mike, ya slow down a second, let him pass and then fall off below him (which of course gives you ROW). It's not that tough. It's not worth the battle of seeing who can head up higher.....
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
johnl wrote:
the only thing that keeps us from hitting each other is courtesy, ROW rules, and being constantly aware of who is around you.....

When courtesy and ROW clash (e.g., a guy below me who can outpinch me demands that I jump in the water so he can go through), the laws and he can go to hell. BT,DT, and he shouldn't bet his eggshell World Cup board against my 20-pound Clark Foam sinker and my generosity. Ditto insisting that I hold my course just because I'm on starboard.

Windsurfing is serious business. Don't give an inch, iso. Stand your ground and maybe your wishes will come true someday...and boy will someone be sorry! A prick can dream, right?

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
Geeze Mike, ya slow down a second, let him pass and then fall off below him (which of course gives you ROW). It's not that tough. It's not worth the battle of seeing who can head up higher.....

Case 1: He was the only one playing pinching games. When baaaaaarely planing on a tiny sinker, you (I) don't just "slow down"; I sink to my knees, and don't get planing again until I slog or swim back out to the wind line. The other guy had the entire river to himself to play pinching games all by himself. He was by far the more maneuverable craft (well powered on a kite), was aft of my amidship, and was being an ass; that's three strikes. I don't comprehend giving ROW to the more maneuverable craft (a downwind sailing vessel always has more options -- maneuverability -- than one being pinched against his upper limits.)

Case 2: I never even knew the racerhed (the reigning World Cup champion) was there, sailing up my beam-reaching butt, until he screamed curses at me as he bailed at full speed 3-5 feet short of ramming me from my rear lee quarter.

Last edited by isobars on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
rigatoni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will never forget the old geezer sailing underneath me yelling "Leeward overtaking vessel!" my first time in the Gorge many years back. I was sailing at the Event Site at the time and was puzzled about the obscure sailboat racing rule and the fact that this total loser was about to pop a vein yelling at me on a beautiful sunny warm windy day.

Look both ways when you cross the street and generally let aggressive douchey right of way sailors pass you on port all day long. Not worth the headache.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, the Event Site, possibly the most dangerous place in the Gorge
to sail, and that's before you get off the beach. ;*)

It is a unique experience there, and I'm glad there's a Gorge
launch dedicated to those guys, it keeps them out of the swell.

I'm with Mike though, I really hate it when someone pinches up right
into my grill. It's my nature to just give way, but come on, there's plenty
of river out there.

-Craig

rigatoni wrote:
Will never forget the old geezer sailing underneath me yelling "Leeward overtaking vessel!" my first time in the Gorge many years back. I was sailing at the Event Site at the time and was puzzled about the obscure sailboat racing rule and the fact that this total loser was about to pop a vein yelling at me on a beautiful sunny warm windy day.

Look both ways when you cross the street and generally let aggressive douchey right of way sailors pass you on port all day long. Not worth the headache.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My one collision was at the event site. I was overtaken on the windward while in a lull after coming out of a jibe. I hit the gust and took off. Halfway across the river the guy turns in front of me and I ditch, he ditches and our rigs smash into each other. His comment..."sorry, no one ever keeps up with me". BTW, he gave me a fin to replace the one busted. We had a beer and laughed it off.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Blind Spot" that's the first I heard of it.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
"Blind Spot" that's the first I heard of it.

That, from a longtime experienced Gorge sailor, is a prime example of why we should never assume others know what some sailors take for granted. I'm sure there are several ROW "rules" I've never heard of, many rules change from surf to swell to flat water and change again in organized competition, some are not clear or actually conflict with one another, and some can just get stuffed in some circumstances.

If these "rules" were law, the Dangler would be doing life in prison.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joke....but I look 99%. its the 1% when you don't and think there is no one there and someone quietly sneaked up on ya "where the hell did that guy come from?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: