myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hood River camping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigitrite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you still camp for free at Avery? (Washington side of the river just upstream from the Dalles dam.)
I used to camp there all the time, you can even launch and sail there if there's wind.

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, for up to 14 days in a 30-day period, but ya gotta be a choo-choo train junkie and insensitive to poison oak (unless "they've" cleaned it out) to like it there.
bingenschool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got $19 hostel beds in large rooms with private partitioning. Just bring your own sleeping bag and pillow.
Alumni rates ( long often returning friends) are as low $14. With that you get hot showers, access to the Gym, Television Lounge, Kitchen, laundry, plenty of storage options, and conversation with guests from around the world ( 53 Countries and counting)
The Bingen School Inn /Columbia Gorge Hostel,,,Gorge Home to the Worlds Windblown sin Very Happy ce 1988.
Cedar & Humboldt Streets, Bingen Washington (check In hours are from 6-9Pm) Very Happy
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a great read. What started as a simple question turned into ISO's guide for insomniac windsurfers....funny. Where in HR can I get loaded for $15 and still make the dawn patrol at Arlington?
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bingenschool wrote:
We've got $19 hostel beds in large rooms with private partitioning. Just bring your own sleeping bag and pillow.
Alumni rates ( long often returning friends) are as low $14. With that you get hot showers, access to the Gym, Television Lounge, Kitchen, laundry, plenty of storage options, and conversation with guests from around the world ( 53 Countries and counting)
The Bingen School Inn /Columbia Gorge Hostel,,,Gorge Home to the Worlds Windblown sin Very Happy ce 1988.
Cedar & Humboldt Streets, Bingen Washington (check In hours are from 6-9Pm) Very Happy

that sounds better than camping, and for about the same price Very Happy I went down to the local car dealer today and proposed a trade of my clean bmw for a slightly beat up subaru wagon.. and he rubbed his chin, squinted sideways at me for a while and looked it over and said hed think about it...hes probably still scratching his chin trying to figure out if I was trying to pull a fast one on him
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, personally, loved the trains when I van camped in HR. At worst you would wake, maybe once or twice, just enough to have some cool "laying on the tracks" kinda funky half-dream. With plugs, just a warm rumble.

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
that sounds better than camping, and for about the same price Very Happy I went down to the local car dealer today and proposed a trade of my clean bmw for a slightly beat up subaru wagon.. and he rubbed his chin, squinted sideways at me for a while and looked it over and said hed think about it...hes probably still scratching his chin trying to figure out if I was trying to pull a fast one on him

How much would the trade have cost you, given the two marques' relative reliabilities and resale value? My Subaru just sold for $12k ... 60% of what I paid for it in '03. It also never broke down ... pretty much unheard of in German cars.

Re camping vs sleeping in a building ... each has it merits. Given that "the Gorge" is hundreds of miles long and we never know what part of it will be windy day to day, versatility and mobility can be priceless.
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by tetiaroaxx on Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For several years, I would buy a fishing parking pass that allowed "camping" on the Klikitat River near Lyle. It was great for Doug's and the Hatchery. I think a season pass was $25. I don't know if these are still available. There were some good campsites several miles out of Lyle.

I have an eleven year old Bimmer. Best car I have ever owned. (including Subie that needed a suspension rebuild at 50k).
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

How much would the trade have cost you, given the two marques' relative reliabilities and resale value? My Subaru just sold for $12k ... 60% of what I paid for it in '03. It also never broke down ... pretty much unheard of in German cars.

Straight trade, subs have good resale value up here...but a 5spd 325 in great shape has pretty good value too, so its about even (though the subby has similar value in less than great shape)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: