myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Burning Man Cabrillo!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Burning Man Cabrillo! Reply with quote

Sent this out to the local crew and it was suggested we spread word to all windsurfers in our area. Seems to be working already as we seem to have decent wind in the forecast and yesterday was good late. I know it's late notice and Friday is a working day, but if this turns out good we can plan another event for a Saturday next time.

Hey Gang,

It's time for Cabrillo windsurfers to revert to ancient methods to rid ourselves of this dang June Gloom!!
So let's have a big bonfire at Cabrillo this coming Friday the 15th. The ritual will involve eating and song and dance, and the burning of a special wood figure we shall offer up to the gods at a certain point in our celebration ritual. So you gotta bring positive vibe to create the special environment that will be right for the gods to accept our sacrifice of the Burning Man and hopefully grant us the strong WSW winds we seek.

You also gotta bring something to grill, a side dish if possible, and a chair. We'll set up tables, bar-b-que grills, and a lantern. I will be the fire master for this event and supply all the wood along with the Burning Man. This of course, after proper consultation with the ancient texts.

I would welcome any help on getting this together. So far, Dave, Scott, and I will work on gathering the wood at my house and bringing it to the beach. We want to secure the farthest south west fire ring. Any help on set up, music, grills, and any special items you think of to enhance the vibe would be very cool. At this point, we need portable music (no power available there). Let me know if you can help out. Also need volunteers to secure the fire ring or at least occasionally hang near it if the wind is good that day. We'll be there even if it's not windy. More reason for the ritual ceremony!

Date: Friday, June 15 Time: after sailing or around 6 PM if no wind. Later if the wind is late. However, the fire ring will be occupied or available after 1PM.
Attire: Windsurfing casual. Creative mystical ritual garb is encouraged.

We can stay at the beach til 10PM then cars have to move out. But if the party is good we'll likely continue well past that as people can stay past 10, just not their cars. We'll park outside by 10.
All the windsurfing world is welcome. The more present the more the gods are likely to grant our wish!
May the gods of good wind and good health be with us all. Hope to see you there!

>Claudio (El Fuego Magnifico)
windyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody, due to a terrible blunder while rigging my race kit yesterday, this event is going to be postponed a couple of weeks til my foot heals. Yesterday I put a major gash across the top of my foot with my race fin (forgot how darn long those are compared to normal!) and that required a trip to the emergency room and ended sailing for a while. Very bummed. So, we have decided to postpone the party until Friday or Saturday, June 29 or 30.

We'd rather hold it on Saturday as more of us could attend, but that requires having someone willing to get there early to secure a fire ring and we don't know of anyone yet that would be willing to sit there. Friday is cool too, less of a crowd and easier to get a fire ring. But if we do find someone then we'll be moving this to Saturday, especially if we get enough feedback for it. So we still want to hold our Cabrillo Burning Man party but need to move it back a couple of weeks. I'll send out a notice when we've determined which of the two days works best. Any feedback on this is welcome. By the way, we still need music, either electronic or manual (any musicians??)

Your de-winged host,
Claudio - El Fuego (not so) Magnifico
dyno357

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I get for forgetting to look at Iwindsurf for a month. Almost missed this! I can't do Friday, but I could at least show up Saturday. Wouldn't be able to stay for long, or even get there early. Basically, I can't be of any help, except showing up to windsurf with the rest of the community. Happy sailing!
benspikey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great party last night! Thanks for putting this together.
chakochako

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fun!! Thank you, Claudio and thank you everybody.
noflyzoneallstar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone grab a Neil pryde X6 430 mast from cabrillo Saturday pm? I left it on the grass by the bathouse around 5:30
e mail Pete noflyzone_allstars at yahoo dot com

Last edited by noflyzoneallstar on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
sail-n-ski

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fun time last night! The Wind Gods cooperated and gave us a nice afternoon sesh then over to the fire pit for grub and stories.
Here a couple photos: Very Happy

Copy of P1010273.JPG
 Description:
Warmth and Light
 Filesize:  1.68 MB
 Viewed:  22112 Time(s)

Copy of P1010273.JPG

Copy of P1010284.JPG
 Description:
Da Group Shot
 Filesize:  1.67 MB

Copy of P1010284.JPG

Copy of P1010280.JPG
 Description:
The sacrifice
 Filesize:  1.65 MB

Copy of P1010280.JPG

Copy of P1010285.JPG
 Description:
The Master of Ceremonies
 Filesize:  1.53 MB

Copy of P1010285.JPG

windyman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, that truly was a fun time! So cool to have a good time on the water followed by festivities at our beach. It was like an extra blast from Zephyrus himself late in the sail session yesterday that had everyone in such good spirits at the rigging area. The wind had suddenly died and all slogged in but then it suddenly came back with a vengance and we got a really good 30 minutes of overpowering wind with good ramps and big air for all!

So fun, such a nice day, warm water, good wind, followed by a good ol' beach party. We bar-be-qued and partied long and late and made a good offering to the wind gods. Thanks to all that contributed extra effort to make this event so good and so festive. We'll have to do this again in the future. For now though, must tend to a nagging hangover.

~Claudio~el fuego Magnifico!
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...I didn't know there was a cabrillo beach "group". Relatively new to windsurfing and been going to cabrillo for awhile Very Happy
PainterKevin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed it.
When is Burning man 2 the sequel?

-Kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: