myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pistol River Wave Bash!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Pistol River Wave Bash! Reply with quote

Three weeks from today we will be checking in for the Wave Bash!

I just wanted to encourage everyone in the West to make the trip. Its an unbelievable venue!! The waves are not that big and there is plenty of space downwind of the contest to sail the entire time. Its a pretty easy place to sail the west coast!

Last year, Robby Naish was on the water for hours, sharing waves with everyone and ripping them to pieces. All the other pro's were out encouraging everyone to take it a little higher, get in a little deeper, and creating an atmosphere of real, windsurfing stoke! Its a four day sailing party!

Whether you compete or not, it's a scene not to be missed! I hope we see some new faces this year! Plus, there are so many sailing sites coming down and driving back to the Gorge. Expand your horizons!!
rgetchis

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an East Coast guy coming out for Pistol..stoked. Bringing one board out shall I plan on 72 litre for solid 3.7-4.2 or 78litre 4.7 ish? I know its a windy place but it's a tough call....any advice...stoked to say the least!
trburl

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big are you?
rgetchis

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

160lbs...thanks
rgetchis

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a safer bet to bring 72 and also rent a 90 in case its 5.3ish? was trying to keep trip cost effective...who has crystal ball?
trburl

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an aggressive 175 lbs and rock an 85 liter Simmer quad 100% of the time on the coast. Pistol can be crazy windy, and I still sail the 85 with a 4.0. This 85 is only 7'3" so it sails very very small.

Who built your 72 and 78?

If I was rolling out here and could only bring one board at 160 pounds, I'd bring the 78 and sail it exclusively. Based on past AWT competitions, I'd rather have a slightly floaty board I know very well, than to have a little missle I hope to sail on and a big rented barge I don't know well.

It's all about what you know and trust. In the immortal words of Steve Haas:

"Ski it like you were home".

In other words, bring YOUR best gear, and don't change your style or your mind-set.
rgetchis

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, my post was vague....
With logistics of bringing gear I'm am going to rent everything in hood river and drive out. Quattro 72 or 78 single fin are options. On East Coast I sail bigger volume with plenty of 5.7 days. So either choice would be unfamiliar territory. I guess my real question is- is it worth getting that second light wind board or not if it's marginal?
trburl

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rent the 78, you'll be glad you did. I sailed 76-78 for years on the coast, refusing to go bigger. When the new shapes came out going short and I finally went with 85, it really improved my sailing in marginal winds, which for some reason, always seem to occur whenever one's heat starts.

Most of the Pro's will agree, with the new shapes, "bigger" board, smaller sail.
trburl

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't rent a 90, for the south coast, that's overkill. If you want to sail other spots on the way down maybe, but in general, no 90's needed for anyone under 180lbs on the south coast.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tom. I have mostly used my 86 liter for my heats in the last two year's events (I'm 195 though). I went out on a 72 liter for one heat and the wind stalled a bit and I was downwind in minutes. There is a lot of southbound current, so having the higher volume board helps to keep you in front of the judges.

The bigger board is also better for me to tack on the outside if I need to get upwind. I've learned that your heats are pretty short and you really have to be paying attention to stay upwind. Sometimes you have to give up some ground to dodge big, breaking sets, so every run out you want to max your speed and pointing. The bigger board should keep you planed between the waves, which can be light on the inside.

Let's hope we get wind and swell! Its going to be a great time!

RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: