myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Armored Harness Lines - Middle Eastern Style
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Armored Harness Lines - Middle Eastern Style Reply with quote

My wingman Abdul - we are a bit like Batman and Robbins in your country (or Baskin and Robbins depending on whether we are hungry or not) - told me that Americans are sissies because they use silky harness lines instead of his armored harness lines that can block anything from stray bullets to stray sharks, both of them being very common in the middle-east.

It is made of barbed wire from army leftovers.

We deliver globally.

WiredHarness.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  536.2 KB
 Viewed:  13756 Time(s)

WiredHarness.JPG

outcast

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it.
You have now transcended....

Without a doubt, UR now the best poster on the iwindsurf forums....Please come over to the East Coast forums...we could use your help.

I am moving all of my harness lines to ZERO stretch unobtainium wires for that locked in feeling

gobbdogg

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely transcendental! Can we have more of you?
I think the weak link on those lines will be the webbing/ grommet, or the boom. Well done! Yep we americans are wussies.. oops, that'll start some counter flow replies.
Though I have to say, I think I'm about even between breaking booms and lines- never unhook when jumping...
Stray bullets and sharks-love your humour!
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, borrowing dinghy stay technology.
Now you can go to aluminum masts, rope controlled daggerboards, and cunningham cleats for your downhaul.
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original version did not have plastic coating.

The problem is that during last weekend's thunderstorm, Abdul received more electricity than he would probably consume in an entire lifetime (and he has 5 homes full of electric appliances).

After I added the plastic coating, it went fine.

Last edited by yvanboniec on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:15 am; edited 2 times in total
rich1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried something similar a couple of years ago with plastic coated steel cable, the problem was the plastic wore through in one session, and then the cable wore halfway through my aluminium hook. A rather expensive way to save money.

http://www.windsurfermag.com/magazine/clip-injection-molded-adjustable-windsurfing-harness-lines/?params=fDM5N3ww

I thought these were a great idea, but 30 Euros a set? I guess that's why I've never seen a pair in real life.

Cheers,

Chris
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a pair exactly like yours, including the plastic. I had more, but the cables kept breaking beneath the heat-shrink, right where it met the cable returning from the metal loop (not the grommet). I always carried a spare around my waist, because it was extremely easy to attach it to the boom while lying in the water.

Mike \m/
techno900

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steel lines make absolutely no sense. The weak link in harness lines is usually the plastic tube the line/cable runs through. Lines never break as long as the plastic tube doesn't wear out. If they do wear out, you will still have several hours of sailing on the ropes alone before they break. With steel, I doubt anyone would want the steel cable rubbing on the harness hook for long.

Just another suggestion to all harness line makers. They should Velcro directly to the boom without having to slide over the end of the boom arm. There is no reason why one shouldn't be able to change out lines in a couple of minutes, even when rigged.

I won't by any brand that doesn't attach directly to the boom. Gaastra and Maui Sails are two brands that I buy.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Steel lines make absolutely no sense. The weak link in harness lines is usually the plastic tube the line/cable runs through. Lines never break as long as the plastic tube doesn't wear out. If they do wear out, you will still have several hours of sailing on the ropes alone before they break. With steel, I doubt anyone would want the steel cable rubbing on the harness hook for long.

Just another suggestion to all harness line makers. They should Velcro directly to the boom without having to slide over the end of the boom arm. There is no reason why one shouldn't be able to change out lines in a couple of minutes, even when rigged.

I won't by any brand that doesn't attach directly to the boom. Gaastra and Maui Sails are two brands that I buy.

Then both brands have lousy PR depts. I can find no indication on their web sites that either attaches directly; they look like every other PITA set of lines on the market which requires boom disassembly. The ones on which the knot won't pass through the loop (like the 20-yo but still rock solid Lakes Bay lines I still use) require vice grips and 20 minutes of swearing to change from old to new booms.

Yvan's steel lines., from Accusport, disappeared from the market around here in the 1980's, before the days of roller bars, but even then the cables often broke before the tubing wore through. Part of the reason was that their extreme length (40 inches) required them to be mounted about 30" apart on the booms to put the hook within optimal reach of the boom, which increased the line tension dramatically.

I've tried every brand and type of harness lines I've found over the last 30 years, and still haven't found any perfect, set-and-forget lines, whether adjustable or fixed length.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lines I have came from our local shop, so I can't speak for all lines made by Gaastra and Maui Sails. I would agree that they are missing out on the marketing for quick attach lines.

I just looked at the Maui Sails web site and it looks like the fixed length lines slide over the boom arm. The adjustable lines say:
Quote:
•Easy to fit on the booms.
so it's only the adjustable that attach directly to the boom arm (mine are adjustable). I looked at Gaastra as well and they offer "quick" (attach directly) for both their fixed and adjustable lines as well as slide over the boom arm models. However, neither site clearly explains what they mean by "quick" or "easy to fit".

3/4 of my booms also have adjustable outhaul lines so anything sliding over the boom arm is a royal pain in the butt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: