myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shadowbox GPS Device Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsampiero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Shadowbox GPS Device Video Reply with quote

This is really, really, REALLY, cool:

http://windsurfingmag.com/gear/2010/02/18/video-casey-hauser-demos-the-shadowbox/

That is all.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
FredFX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these things are so cool. I was thinking of buying a GPS and a GoPro before. I think I'll just get the shadowbox. Now if only they weren't $500 (I assume it'll go down in price in the future, right?)
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey FredFX-

$500 is the going rate, the competition goes for around $350 and it doesn't even do a tenth of what this baby is capable of!
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Josh for posting this up on the forum!

For everyone that hasn't taken a look yet, please take a minute and check out this video about an innovative new GPS recording device called ShadowBox:
http://windsurfingmag.com/gear/2010/02/18/video-casey-hauser-demos-the-shadowbox/

Below is a synopsis about the device and the free software program RideTracker, available for download off our website at www.shadowboxlive.com

While working for MauiSails and Tabou this summer in the Gorge, I had the opportunity to meet with the brand manager for ShadowBox, and immediately saw it's potential for windsurfing. The device is truly amazing, and it's potential for an abundance of sports; be it windsurfing, kitesurfing, SUP, surfing, snowboarding, skiing, mountain biking, motocross, skydiving, kayaking, and so much more, is huge! After working with pro freestyler's like Andre Paskowski and legendary speedsailor Dave White while in Brazil this fall, the device is already dialed in and ready to go! Now I'm over in Maui with ShadowBox Team rider Whit Poor (Starboard, Severne, Dakine), getting the ShadowBox dialed more into the waves and jumping aspect. We've already got some amazing data, and are working to soon be able to see the steepness of a drop into a wave, the height of the wave face, height, distance, and tweak of an off the lip, and more; already we can see board trim, acceleration, relative wave height, and g-forces while wave-riding. Yesterday at Kanaha Whit threw 310 jumps, the highest of which was a 32.4 foot backloop, and of course, all he wants to do is go bigger! As with any sport, as more riders submit data, the software only gets better, and updates, like an iPhone update, will be available for free off of our website @ www.shadowboxlive.com. After reading the below, if you have any more specific questions, please either respond to the thread as usual or feel free to email me at casey.shadowbox@gmail.com

Shadowing your every move, the ShadowBox is guaranteed to improve your performance whether you’re a weekend warrior or seasoned pro. Recording the hangtime, distance, speed and height of every maneuver; the degrees of spin, roll, and flip for every trick; and the G-forces, board trim, acceleration, and speed at any given point; ShadowBox is quickly becoming the primary choice for objectively capturing and measuring one’s actions in a multitude of sports, and is the only GPS device that is not only waterproof, but also allows you to play back every aspect of your ride with 3D capabilities. Built into the box are gyroscopes, magnetometers, accelerometers, a pressure sensor and GPS module, which together combine to create a ‘sensor fusion’ that paints a precise picture of any riders’ session. Get Better, Go Bigger, Box Proven.

Immediately after a session ride data and 3D replay can be viewed directly on the box, then later uploaded to a computer via USB where through RideTracker, a free software program available for download at www.shadowboxlive.com, riders can analyze every aspect of their ride in 3D detail. Through RideTracker you can see not only what you did but also where it happened, making ShadowBox the only GPS device that can animate an entire ride pathway, in 3D animation, into Google Earth. And mounted to your board, you don’t need a friend to follow you with a camera from the beach to see what you did, you can do it all on your own. Mount the box to the board, select the ‘windsurf’ setting, hit record and go! The battery lasts for 5 hours, and the box can hold up to 10 hours of ride data.

RideTracker is a revolutionary software program in and of itself. It gives you the ability, post-ride, to see any aspect of your ride from any conceivable angle or distance you can imagine, even underwater! Once the ride file is uploaded to a computer, a feast of data becomes available, allowing you to see every aspect of your board’s performance at any given point in time during your session. Not only can you see exactly what you did, but you can also see the full science behind it. The speed, launch angle, hangtime, spin rotation, distance traveled from point to point or in three dimensions, and landing impact of, a stalled forward. The speed into, board trim, radius, and acceleration out of, a laydown jibe. Anything you can think of, the box can tell you. Switch to a different board, or a different prototype during R&D, and you can see the exact differences by overlaying the ride data from one board to another. Give each tester a box and send them out during board tests and you can get an average top speed, max jump height, acceleration, and more for each board, giving factual, comparable data for magazine product tests. Instructors can submit ride files that students can overlay with their own and see the differences, exponentially shortening the amount of time to learn new moves. The analysis tools in RideTracker let you dissect your ride and your equipment like no other tool in history. And this is only the beginning. Via net-based updates, RideTracker will only get better, with such features as “compare your trick to a pro” and “overlays of your own tricks to your friends and others.” The ride files themselves are relatively small, and can easily be uploaded to our website, where anyone in the world can download them and check out your session.

Don’t hold yourself back for another minute! Get your box today and watch your windsurfing improve faster than you could have ever imagined!
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: How does ShadowBox mount to a windsurf board? Reply with quote

Hi Casey,

Can you please post detailed pics and info on how the ShadowBox mounts to a windsurf board? What are the mounting options? How do you set it up for multiple boards? Does it get in the way when you're riding/careful footwork needed, etc.

Thanks!
Alak.
bolronck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Is the compagny who sold ShadowBox still exist ?
tanzaho

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure, though, that the feature could be implemented in cameras now !

Last edited by tanzaho on Sat May 26, 2012 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
tanzaho

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having seen that video. It was quiet amazing at the time. Hope it will still be sold.

I am pretty sure, though, that the feature could be implemented in cameras now !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Industry News & Promotions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: