myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The death of Windsurfing Mag?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need young windsurfers! Reply with quote

duckwind wrote:
Who wants to launch next to Gramps?

Yeah ... heaven forbid they learn something. Wink

Mike \m/
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theunbob wrote:
]Good post! However, I think the fact that most young people have no interest in windsurfing, kiteboarding, mtb, etc has nothing to do with the oil industry per se.

Instead, the lack of interest is due to most Gen-Y/Zers being lazy-ass couch potatoes who are not interested in anything requiring time, effort and commitment. Once they realize they can't get up and riding in the first 5 minutes, they're done!

OK, that's a gross generalization - but I believe it's generally true.

Opposing opinions welcome - somebody tell me I'm wrong!

I dont think youre far off... when I was in cabo and we took a glass bottom boat ride (cheesy but it was free) to a snorkeling area there was a kid around 10 on the boat who went on the beach and laid in the shade with his parent and waited for the boat to come back without touching the water, he was saying he was bored and wanted to go back to the room... When I was 10 I would have been in the water before the boat even touched the beach ( and still am 20 years later Laughing )
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theunbob wrote:
WMP wrote:
In general, most every sport that's powered by mother nature is on the skids. Instead, most young people today are being led into outdoor sports that are powered by the almighty oil industry. Every outdoor sport that I've enjoyed in the past 30+ years (windsurfing, backcountry skiing, mountain biking, kayaking) has one thing in common... these all burn calories, not oil. Today, almost every outdoor sport that is really popular around here (jet ski, snowmobile) burns oil. Not to mention the addiction with gas guzzling bigger and bigger vehicles (monster trucks).

Most all young people today have no interest in windsurfing at all.
Good post! However, I think the fact that most young people have no interest in windsurfing, kiteboarding, mtb, etc has nothing to do with the oil industry per se.

Instead, the lack of interest is due to most Gen-Y/Zers being lazy-ass couch potatoes who are not interested in anything requiring time, effort and commitment. Once they realize they can't get up and riding in the first 5 minutes, they're done!

OK, that's a gross generalization - but I believe it's generally true.

Opposing opinions welcome - somebody tell me I'm wrong!

You nailed it, dude. What we have here is a generation that's been brainwashed into absolute dependency on convenience and instant gratification of the system. Push a button.... BAM!!.... it happens. Nope, don't need to leave that comfort, safety and security of your couch. It's all there for ya... all fast and easy.
merriam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all a bunch of old farts. The kids will be fine.
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing? .....I think you can get an ap for that.

I like launching next to gramps. makes me feel young.

KMF
ascott72

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with this sport is:
1) you need a lot of gear, which can be expensive
2) you need a place to store all that gear
3) you need to be near some water with consistent wind
4) you need a way to transport all that gear to and from your launch site
5) and then once you have all that, the sport is still a challenge to learn

Is it really any surprise that young kids aren't getting into it?

I would venture to say that the main way a young kid would get into it today is if their father did it and wanted to make it a family activity. No reason to go bashing all the young kids today as lazy.

By the way, most of those reasons apply to the broader population too - which is why the sport has remained so small in the United States!

The people I do see doing this sport are mainly white, male, professionals, age 30-55. I don't think I am going out on too much of a limb to say they have disposable income, vehicles, homes with garages to store their gear, and a type of personality that enjoys the challenge of perfecting a carve gybe.

And that's all okay. Windsurfing is just never going to be a mainstream sport.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
Windsurfing? .....I think you can get an ap for that.

I like launching next to gramps. makes me feel young.

'Til he kicks yer ass! Wink
Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ascott72 wrote:
The problem with this sport is:
1) you need a lot of gear, which can be expensive
2) you need a place to store all that gear
3) you need to be near some water with consistent wind
4) you need a way to transport all that gear to and from your launch site
5) and then once you have all that, the sport is still a challenge to learn

The people I do see doing this sport are mainly white, male, professionals, age 30-55. I don't think I am going out on too much of a limb to say they have disposable income, vehicles, homes with garages to store their gear, and a type of personality that enjoys the challenge of perfecting a carve gybe.

6) and you must be a masochist to tolerate all the skunks.

As for disposable income, I used to know many Hatch Rats -- and I say that with reverence and admiration of their sailing skills and shred time -- who sail only the Hatch and Doug's ... EVER ... because they couldn't afford the bridge toll or gasoline to drive to the Wall even back at 50 cents for the bridge and a buck for gas. Their whole lives revolved around endorphins and rice and their $500 Nissan "motor homes" (aka rusty mini-pickups with a camper shell and a one-burner white gas stove), and some had given up various careers for that life. I presume some still do it that way.
WMP

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Their whole lives revolved around endorphins and rice and their $500 Nissan "motor homes" (aka rusty mini-pickups with a camper shell and a one-burner white gas stove), and some had given up various careers for that life. I presume some still do it that way.

It was Datsun mini-truck back in them thar days.... I couldn't afford a white gas stove... them were for rich people. Yip, my Datsun "motor home" was powered by clean propane which only cost me .29 a gallon in '79... that's when gasoline spiked to $1 a gallon, very unbelievable at the time.

Also, that was back in the old Doug's West days which cultivated quite a following of us old school farts.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
that was back in the old Doug's West days ...

Ah, yes ... Tick Beach. We had to groom each other like monkeys after leaving that place.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: