myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiters violating the no kiting zones at Kanaha
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loosescrew wrote:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kymmcnicholas/2011/12/07/kiteboarding-techies-generate-7-billion-in-market-value/

Hmmm...... CEO's, Entrepreneurs, i.e. really, really, really busy people, setting up and selling/exiting companies, etc. As in, ridiculously busy.

Now where such busy folks find the time to invest in learning something as difficult as kiteboarding?

Wink
bjamin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny - I've been windsurfing uppers last couple days and hardy noticed the kiters (except for our kiter friends). Guess there have been more out. Waves are super small so it hardy matters. I'm just glad to be out there having fun. BTW - testing next year's Goya Banzai sails - pretty awesome!
victor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

git hip. kiting is the new golf.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonORiordan wrote:
loosescrew wrote:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kymmcnicholas/2011/12/07/kiteboarding-techies-generate-7-billion-in-market-value/

Hmmm...... CEO's, Entrepreneurs, i.e. really, really, really busy people, setting up and selling/exiting companies, etc. As in, ridiculously busy.

Now where such busy folks find the time to invest in learning something as difficult as kiteboarding?

Wink

Lol that's pretty funny. Totally agree.
WAVEDAVE

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiting is a great sport if you have no skills, dont like learning something new and want a quick curve to moving back and forth, with no real advancement except maybe buying more gear that is. It seems that alot of the new kiters are clueless about anything to do with wind or water and have a tendency to be wreckless when on the water. Sorry for dissing the tea baggers/ dangle boarders.

hahahaha just venting sorry Very Happy
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this falls under the "pet peave" category, but did you ever notice how kiters, with much smaller vehicles, rush to the beach and park half sideways in their panic to get out there? After many years of windsurfers driving large trucks/vans etc, we have developed an orderly respectful approach to backing our vehicles into tight spots and respecting our neighbors spaces on either side, all to be disregarded by kiters in a rush. Is this some part of the kiter's psyche or are they just oblivious to our ways. Either way it's not good. (Is this an Andy Rooney "did you ever notice" curmudgeon piece?)
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
I suppose this falls under the "pet peave" category, but did you ever notice how kiters, with much smaller vehicles, rush to the beach and park half sideways in their panic to get out there? After many years of windsurfers driving large trucks/vans etc, we have developed an orderly respectful approach to backing our vehicles into tight spots and respecting our neighbors spaces on either side, all to be disregarded by kiters in a rush. Is this some part of the kiter's psyche or are they just oblivious to our ways. Either way it's not good. (Is this an Andy Rooney "did you ever notice" curmudgeon piece?)

Oh Pleeeeeze! How can you make such a generalization like that? I’m not a kiter but have seen enough windsurfing idiots that do just what you’re complaining about. Either you have respect for other people or you don't. It's NOT a Kiter/Windsurfer issue.

PAmuddog

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
git hip. kiting is the new golf.

Yep, that's why I haven't tried it yet. I figure I'll pick up "golfing" when I can't windsurf.

Hey......no comments from the peanut gallery please. In my opinion I can still windsurf! Razz
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of kooks in both of our sports. Give it a rest. After years of bitching, I have spent time getting to know the guys who kite at Crissy and have found the vast majority of them respectful and fun to hang out with.

Occasionally some knucklehead with bad skills and/or manners shows up and causes problems but I have found this the exception rather than the rule.
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every group has its arrogant, oblivious segment of fools, just human nature being exhibited out loud. it s usually self-limiting, after all stupidity kills(just not fast enough)

the biggest difference i see is there are simply more novice kiters but it is not the gear that is the problem, it is the "noviceness". i heard the same thing from skiers when i started tele riding and again when snowboarding. it was only very minimally the gear difference, it was the novice lack of control and the extra limiting "focus" cause we were scared at our own lack of control and excited at the same time. testosterone and adrenaline are an interesting mix, notice how it almost completely male offenders. as kiting growth slows and the riders improve it will settle itself down,,,,
except for the few fools and egoists, them you just have to get a group together to deal with(start nicely, escalate as necessary)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: