myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiters violating the no kiting zones at Kanaha
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skisurfer1

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Kiters violating the no kiting zones at Kanaha Reply with quote

What's up with the daily increase of number of kiters blatantly violating the no kiting zones at Kanaha lately?
Every day more are flaunting the rules and coming right into the launch at Uppers. I noted a large group launching from the houses up under the runway 3 days ago and then proceed to mow their way down through the windsurf launch. all the while being right in the thick of the Olokai SUP race.
Two were showboating and landed up near Kook's cove. I checked the mauikiteboarding site and all of these incidents are in direct violation of what is posted.
Asked one of them what they were doing in there and they said no one can enforce it or make us leave.
What happened to the no fly zones under the runways,the common courtesy, and the idea thqt rules apply to everybody.
Are the shops so in search of the all mighty dollar that they don't encourage or inform their clients of the rules?
I, for one and fed up with these kiters and will cease with the friendly smile and wave that I have emitted in the past. NO more monoplozing the reef break at Uppers please.
fearlu

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Maui-vacationeer only, I must echo this request! The FAA rules are clear and anyone violating the no-fly zone is endangering access-- for locals and others from around the world. If you are a kiter and claiming "no one can tell you where to fly" then you need a serious reality check. If this account from McBroom is true, then you are really pissing some people off... cut it out, would 'ya?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiters violating the no kiting zones at Kanaha Reply with quote

mcbroom wrote:
they said no one can enforce it or make us leave.

Yeah, right. I've seen everything from fists to car damage to a spear fired into a WS board while it was planing used to keep unwanted "guests" in line on Maui. Why, there are even LEGAL ways to keep them where and when they belong. These guys are in for a rude awakening ... which suits their behavior.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last month the kiters were in rare form on Maui. I have to say there were only 4 or 5 out of 30+ who were in the FAA zone, and 3 or 4 acting aggresively. However, the ones who were, made it a point to slash carving jibes in front of the waves where there were sailors, hooting and shouting.

I will point out that one kiter in his 50's who sails bare chested with curly brown hair and is very tanned, (leather) made it a point to harrass every sailor he could. The guys in the shops know him as a bad seed. Maybe you know him. He sailed in to the life guard shack and east. He is very arrogant and dangerous. Another kiter had his board cut in half after failing a gybe in front of an outgoing sailor.

I think the kite shops should voluntarily police this kind of behavior. If the FAA gets involved, it might mean further restrictions or a total shutdown. This would not be good for Maui.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to the lifeguards about a similar problem last year. The FAA rules and the no launch at Kanaha rule is the only enforcable rule. I agree that the
FAA guys are powerful scary cops and best avoided.
The lifeguard said that kiters out of Sprecks are mostly tourists who go away.He said the others are likely to get settled up surfer style if they go on for long. These factors probably explain why the problem is only at intervals.
In ten years at Uppers my friends and I only had to convince one guy to exit. They dont want to crash either. He seemed to conclude that sailing in Uppers was too dangerously crowded whenever he showed up, since we " didnt undrstand" right of way.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot speak for Maui but things have improved immensely down at Crissy Field over the years. For the most part we all get along. Part of it is the collective evolution of both the windsurfing and kiting communities.

I will admit that I used to get pissed off left and right with their behavior and a feeling that they were endangering my safety. Maybe the equipment has gotten better and maybe the group of responsible regulars are policing the newbies and visitors. Those regulars are well aware that the stupid selfish and irresponsible behavior of a few idiots will threaten to shut down their sport. If I were a kiter and my access to the north shore of Maui was contingent on FAA approval, I would be really really concerned but let them worry about it.

Showing up at the beach and being happy with the people you share the place with is a much healthier way to go through life. Bitching about it online ain't going to solve the problem. Honestly, all it does is fire up Isobars and his nihilistic Tea Party Rhetoric. Keep smiling out on the water. You are in Maui and have a lot to be happy about.

Cheers,
Rigatoni
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars wants everyone to follow the rules, under threat of a speargun attack, yet proudly boasts of his 100mph public road manliness. What a guy.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a regular Upper's WS and for the most part, the kiters are pretty good. However, there are a few (we all know who they are) that obviously have ego issues and thrive on harassing others instead of enjoying the moment in the waves - too bad huh? Really doesn't bother us WS. But when you throw a couple of "GREEN" kiters in the mix that DO NOT know the rules and can't turn, are constantly losing their boards - now that really makes for a mess up there. I think both the shops and the schools that instruct and provide kite information (like Dorn) should not encourage kiters to venture to the upper break unless they are experts and following the wave rules (most of them don't know the water rules or just don't care which is SAD). BTW - after attending a meeting between the Kite Association and the FAA, the FAA basically said they were lacking the rules. So don't look for any intervention from them. Just be ready to make a quick chicken jibe, tack or just run them over. haa haa
skisurfer1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out today and the problem was worse. 21+ kiters in Uppers when I pulled off of the water. Very few knew the right of way rules but for the most part they did stay upwind (at least until the lifeguards went off duty). There were a lot of very inexperienced kiters though, plowing their way downwind through the windsurfing launch. 2 landed on the windsurf beach and then took off or deflated they kites.
They appear to be launching from a series of tents from one of the private houses under the runway.
Someone has to inform them of the rues. They are in direct violation of FAA guidelines. As a kiter and windsurfer, I do not want access to the North shore compromised.
Work on education is definitely needed.
And yes, I have seen the kiter with the bare chest, and had to do a chicken jibe the other day after a port tack kiter hucked large without looking, given way when on a starboard tack under powered as a kiter pushed me out of the waves repeatedly and yes , I am loosing my sense of respect and patience for the kiters. 30+ windsurfers on Uppers, no problem.Add 3 or more aggressive kiters and it becomes a whole different story.
Still loving the Maui windsurfing though.
wmike

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I was out in Uppers today and it was ok until 4 PM when the lifeguards left. They tended to stay inside the reef near the houses and looked very inexperienced. But after 4 they tried the waves and it got busy. Today was the worst I have seen and I have been here since September.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: