myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Government Incompetence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Bard, sometimes it boils down to what you're looking for. Seems to me that what you're looking for dirt on President Obama, "liberal" Democrats and the government in general. The way I look at it, I'm more interested in mainstream current events, interesting people and notable projects out there.

I think that the problem today is 24 hour cable TV news, especially since it tends to be heavily polarized, and it clearly tends to cater to a like minded audience. Trying to get your news from You Tube is arguably an even more questionable and biased source. Left or right, it doesn't make any difference. I avoid that stuff, and instead concentrate on a more unbiased news source like the PBS News Hour, to include insightful interviews and discussion topics from more respected programs like Charlie Rose, Bill Moyers and Tavis Smiley. That way I avoid the dirt and highly questionable hype so common on entertainment news today. I take a similar approach to print media by sticking with sources that have some journalistic integrity and aren't the mouthpiece for attack news or a single side approach to reporting. You might want to try a similar path. It just might improve your view on things.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Why do [most of the news media] all march in lock step with Obama? I can't figure that out...

Simple: 85-96% (depending on the regions and demographics covered by the different polls and voting and donation records examined) of newsmen are registered and/or self-described Democrats.

Additionally, most the elite high-level media personnel live in mega-cities surrounded by other liberals, and many of them actually believe their thinking is mainstream and that celebrity worship is normal, sane, and respectable. They have very limited exposure to religious people, to outdoor activities from hunting to windsurfing (look what WSing did to Kerry), to open spaces, to moral behavior. NBC, of course, has not yet overcome its past ownership by GE/Immelt, so has even more reason to be 99% in the tank for Obama.

BTW, any uninformed goofball who responds that Fox News has been in the tank for the Right, or Bush, or Romney, etc. does not watch Fox News, or watches only Hannity.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars puts the horse before the cart. Even if his figures are correct, there is a paramount reason many in the media are liberal. Media professionals, a.k.a. The Press, are directly and negatively impacted by attempts -nearly always by conservatives- to restrict freedom of the press. Blue sky laws, whistleblower statutes, anti-Slap laws and the like are liberal efforts to protect the rights accorded to the press by the First Amendment. I think that's why many in the press vote Democrat.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Simple: 85-96% (depending on the regions and demographics covered by the different polls and voting and donation records examined) of newsmen are registered and/or self-described Democrats.

Still waiting for conservatives to jump in there and take all those high paying jobs as front line reporters and change the system from within: so how about it conservatives??? BTW, these jobs are actually really low paying and require a ton of unrewarded hard work, how about it?.......crickets.........crickets.....

Well.....how about taking some of those jobs as teachers in inner city schools helping the nations disadvantaged youth and yet AGAIN(!) changing this crazy liberal system from within!......crickets.......crickets.....

mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe conservatives are smart enough to avoid jobs that are really low paying and require a ton of unrewarded work?
pueno

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Maybe conservatives are smart enough to avoid jobs that are really low paying and require a ton of unrewarded work?

Or.....................

Maybe conservatives have figured out how to game the system -- unemployment, disability, etc., while progressives go to work.

(I can't believe you actually suggested that with a straight face. I take it as a bit of friendly repartee.) Wink
feuser

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:

That's funny.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Maybe conservatives are smart enough to avoid jobs that are really low paying and require a ton of unrewarded work?"

Income aside, I have to wonder though, why do "smart" conservatives prefer to get their news from Fox News and talk radio?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
Still waiting for conservatives to jump in there and take all those high paying jobs as front line reporters and change the system from within: so how about it conservatives??? BTW, these jobs are actually really low paying and require a ton of unrewarded hard work, how about it?.......crickets.........crickets.....

You think these people are underpaid and overworked:

* Keith Olbermann
* Ed Bradley
* Tom Brokaw
* Julie Chen
* Katie Couric
* Anderson Cooper
* Hugh Downs
* Peter Jennings
* Ted Koppel
* Steve Kroft
* Dan Rather
* Geraldo Rivera
* Andy Rooney
* Morley Safer
* Leslie Stahl
* George Stephanopoulos
* Mike Wallace
* Barbara Walters
* Christiane Amanpour, CNN
* Wolf Blitzer, CNN
* Ed Bradley (deceased), CBS News
* David Brinkley (deceased),[1] The Huntley-Brinkley Report (NBC)
* Tom Brokaw (semi-retired), NBC News
* Dara Brown, MSNBC
* John Chancellor (deceased), NBC Nightly News
* Connie Chung, formerly of CBS News, NBC News, CNN, and MSNBC
* Anderson Cooper, CNN
* Katie Couric, CBS News, formerly of NBC's Today Show
* Walter Cronkite (deceased), CBS News
* John Charles Daly (deceased) ABC News
* Ann Curry, The Today Show, Dateline NBC
* Sam Donaldson, ABC News
* Lou Dobbs, CNN
* Hugh Downs (retired), ABC News' 20/20, formerly at NBC News
* Dave Garroway (deceased), Today Show NBC
* Charles Gibson, ABC News
* Nancy Grace, CNN
* Bryant Gumbel
* Paul Harvey (deceased), News & Comment, ABC radio
* Lester Holt, weekend edition of NBC Nightly News and MSNBC
* Peter Jennings (deceased), ABC News
* Matt Lauer, Today Show
* Jim Lehrer, The Newshour with Jim Lehrer (PBS)
* Art Linkletter (deceased), KGB-AM radio, San Diego (1930s)
* Rachel Maddow, MSNBC
* Frank McGee (deceased), NBC News
* Robert MacNeil (retired), The MacNeil/Lehrer Newshour (PBS)
* Roger Mudd, CBS News, NBC News, History Channel
* Edward R. Murrow (deceased)
* Harry Reasoner (deceased), CBS News and ABC News
* Tim Russert (deceased), NBC News
* Jessica Savitch (deceased), NBC News and Frontline
* Diane Sawyer, ABC News
* Meredith Vieira, NBC News
* Mike Wallace (deceased), "60 Minutes" CBS
* Paula Zahn, formerly of CNN
and the other dozens of news anchors and reporters I snipped from the list?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art Linkletter? Are you serious? Or drunk on your Geritol? Linkletter wasn't a journalist then any more than Simon Croft is today.

Edward R. Murrow? Now he's current! What about Henry Luce or W.R. Hearst while you're at it? At least Garaway's been dead only thirty years.

Your list captured Mike Wallace twice, one when he was alive and again, not so much alive. (It's not nice to cheat, Mike.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: