myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Astonishing facts about the kitesurf sport. !!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loscocco

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
"Kites:Ocean Rodeo: 2012 Razor 6m,8m & 10m
Boards:Ocean Rodeo Raceboard, Mako 140cm, Naish 5'4"
Wetsuit:Hyperflex: AMP 4/3MM Fullsuit
Harness:Ocean Rodeo: Sessions2"

Maybe you can impress us with photos of all your stuff too. I have to say though, I'm surprised that you haven't included your vast collection of boardshorts in the listing, especially given their importance in the sport.

Lol!
Too funny! I don't wear board shorts over my suit. I agree, pretty silly lookin.
Vast collection = 2

Wetsuit:Hyperflex: AMP 4/3MM Fullsuit
Harness:Ocean Rodeo: Sessions2
acctx

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loscocco wrote:
Most important fact:
Kiting has really taken off recently after another dying sport was officially canceled.

I think this doesnt really happen to windsurfers - at least not to all of them at the same time..

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/05/05/BAKL1OE37M.DTL&tsp=1

<<(05-05) 18:55 PDT San Francisco -- Seven kite surfers were rescued on San Francisco Bay Saturday afternoon near the Golden Gate Bridge after flagging winds left them struggling to return to shore.

>>
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loscocco, glad you saw the humorous side of my last post. It was just a bit of light fun about the boardshorts and the listing of your quiver thing. Nothing serious.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acctx wrote:
I think this doesnt really happen to windsurfers - at least not to all of them at the same time.

<<(05-05) 18:55 PDT San Francisco -- Seven kite surfers were rescued on San Francisco Bay Saturday afternoon near the Golden Gate Bridge after flagging winds left them struggling to return to shore.

It happens all the time around here, with WSers by the dozens left struggling in the barge lanes when a shower or atmospheric mixing failure shuts the wind off within seconds. The difference is that here we don't need rescue if we're dressed right, because we can always swim to dry land in one state or another and there's no (hidden) landlord. The problem escalates dramatically if a barge or (much bigger and faster) cargo ship is bearing down on us, as I've seen with half a dozen people swimming literally for their lives. We've seen some very serious, extremely near misses, even some collisions (guess who wins), and this happens too fast for rescues to be practical.

Mike \m/
nw30

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acctx wrote:
loscocco wrote:
Most important fact:
Kiting has really taken off recently after another dying sport was officially canceled.

I think this doesnt really happen to windsurfers - at least not to all of them at the same time..

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/05/05/BAKL1OE37M.DTL&tsp=1

>>

"Those rescued have not been identified and it is unknown if they were with the same group."

Oh, they were in the same group, they're always in the same group.
Ever notice how it's the kite surfers that are always on their cell phones in the parking lot, calling all their buddies to join them?
WS do it also, but not nearly as much, maybe 1/10th the amount.
Kiters need their buddies, one reason is for show, and another reason for safety, but mostly the first reason, IM tainted O.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Ever notice how it's the kite surfers that are always on their cell phones in the parking lot, calling all their buddies to join them?

Our usual haunt is almost devoid of kites in the spring until the same half dozen or so converge on the same day from several parts of Canada and the Pacific NW U.S., put on their little board shorts on top of their wet suits, and begin the new season. Coincidence? Suuuuuuuuure.

That's odd; I was taught that it takes only two to kite ... like women going to the bathroom at a restaurant. Wink

Mike \m/
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? this is the best you COF can come up with about kiting?

and then you wonder on another thread why windsurfing might be dying.
no originality, unwilling to see something new right in front of you and forget about trying something new, no way that's ever gonna happen Shocked
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This anomosity is puzzeling to me. I have windsurfed for thirty years and have kited for the last three or four years. Both sports are a freakin blast and are complimentary for us geezers whose tendons can't take the long days unhooked on the waves anymore. I have windsurfed and kited multiple sessions of each in one day and love the way kiting can extend my water time.

The kiters spend WAY less time talking about windsurfers than the windsurfers spend talking about kiters. Why is that?
westender

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting fact B. The average Kiter has never heard of The Kiteski.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:

The kiters spend WAY less time talking about windsurfers than the windsurfers spend talking about kiters. Why is that?

generally they're too busy talking about their own awesomeness to be aware of anything or anyone else around them.. and secondly,wondering aloud to each other about whether or not the colour of their new boardshorts clashes their kite .??
Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: