myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tubamancha!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my limited experience at Limantour launch, maybe 70.
A the lowest tides, and any NW swell over 10', or W at 5, or S at 2, you can surfsail right off Limantour with side off winds, about the same angle as PuntaSanCarlos, usually the outer reef that might be 100 yards offshore, and oftentimes better at the S sandbar in front of the S parking lot.
Lots of guys pinch the 1.8 miles upwind, sailing out as far as DrakesBay, then jibing and pinching in hopefully riding some windswell to gain upwind distance. Talking 1.8 miles, with no tide to help you. Berkeley to TI is 2.3 miles, can you make that distance upwind with your wave gear? I cannot, so it takes me about an hour.
On medium to higher tides, PaloMarin offers side shore wave sailing off the Rock and also off the Point, more scattered, but real DTL wave sailing. The beach there is softball sized rocks, lots of driftwood, and warm warm compared to the surrounding air temps caused by the cut in the cliffs that create the bay of PaloMarin. The hike is a problem for the weak of body, like myself.
Stinson can be very good on a rising wind, as the rising NW seems more Westerly, clearing the cliffs of the BolinasMesa. When the real strong NW finally get's up to speed, by maybe noon, Stinson loses it's inside wind, as the direction veers Nward and starts to get cancelled out by the Lagoon winds.
The lagoon at high tides can be fun sailing, on NNW's, or afternoon NW's that fill in. Beware any low tides and it's mud.
Hope to see you guys out there this year, starting maybe early next week.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody been up there this year? Would love to get a sesh or two up there this season. We had a crowd up there last year (about 15-20 sailors)

A couple write ups:

http://www.sunsetsailboards.com/blog/41-windsurf-sessions/132-windsurfing-tubamancha

http://humancatapult.blogspot.com/2011/05/tubamania.html

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some cool shots of the Tuba area from the air some of you may not have seen. Note the smooth lines of waves on a south swell. The wind direction arrows I put in my book look a little off in retrospect. The wind is most typically a bit more offshore than San Carlos but still makes for great down the line action.

I am sure there are those who will object to my including the map on the forum. Normally I am supportive of "secret sites" (There is still no map to San Carlos in my Baja Guide) However Tuba automatically limits crowds. If the very long drive, then long hike, then long upwind reach, then crazy winds doesn't limit the population then the abundance of Great Whites, juicy harbor seals in the break and the dangerous offshore winds will do their darwinian work.

Also the last time I checked kite boarding was banned in the Limantour area.

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com

Tuba.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  461.44 KB
 Viewed:  14522 Time(s)

Tuba.jpg

VinceSF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esteban wrote:
not sure what gear you are on but I sail from Limantour beach upwind to Tuba on wave gear in 25 minutes max...sure beats walking up the beach with a funky back pack set up as I have sen some guys do. The DTL long wave rides make it totally worthwhile for me...never had more than a couple turns on the Limantour wave
Spring coming hope its gonna be good!

Esteban,
I concur. I usually walk on the path then rig up under the trees, and sail from there.
Hit me up if you are going, most of the time no one around me dare going.

Vincent
VinceSF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:

On medium to higher tides, PaloMarin offers side shore wave sailing off the Rock and also off the Point, more scattered, but real DTL wave sailing. The beach there is softball sized rocks, lots of driftwood, and warm warm compared to the surrounding air temps caused by the cut in the cliffs that create the bay of PaloMarin. The hike is a problem for the weak of body, like myself.
Stinson can be very good on a rising wind, as the rising NW seems more Westerly, clearing the cliffs of the BolinasMesa. When the real strong NW finally get's up to speed, by maybe noon, Stinson loses it's inside wind, as the direction veers Nward and starts to get cancelled out by the Lagoon winds.

those are great tips! Thanks LeeD.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surfed Palo once... and even getting out of the water with a surfboard seemed like a challenge... was definitely glad I had booties and was also happy that I didn't experience any sea urchins. I was thinking about how much harder it would have been w/ windsurfing gear. Is there an easy place to put in and get out?

twas a mellow day there... yet still managed to get yelled at by a local knee-boarder Rolling Eyes

VinceSF wrote:
zirtaeb wrote:

those are great tips! Thanks LeeD.
Rolling Eyes
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you know, I was a part of the second crew at Palo in the mid '90's, maybe 50 days sailed there. Booties for sure. Even a skinny weakling like me can carry board and boom in one hand, sail and mast in the other, and wetsuit in a backpack. Got as many as 30 different guys n gal sailing there for a while, never more than 12 a day. Rapell was a 2 trip challenge, some guys using the pack to carry sail and mast + wetsuits.
Launch either downwind of RoundRock, or for most of us, upwind between the point and the Rock. Second launch is best for jumps headed out, planing jibes inside and no seakelp to bother with.
Kinda like a poor man's Davenport, but with more variety and a shorter inside right ride (Rock).
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Beer and Cheezburgers the best at the bar in town (Bolinas) and for you healthy types, Veggie soup across the street.
tcevans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody going this weekend? I've never been but looks like it could be really good, long period south swell and NW wind.
streetsailing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew in from a trip yesterday and had a perfect view of Tuba around 5:30 PM. It was definitely blowing but there was no sign of any swell where it should be, on the south end of the mouth of the Estrada. It was pretty high tide I assume. Wish I had a photo but the plane leveled off before I could grab my camera.
See you all at the Crissy Field Swap today.
Sail On!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: