myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Millertime will turn the dirty 30 in PSC..Come Join..AWT??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Millertime will turn the dirty 30 in PSC..Come Join..AWT?? Reply with quote

I know it is pouring rain right now and thus hard to think of windsurfing, but I want to encourage all of you who have not already gone down to Punta San Carlos Baja (and those lucky suckers who already have) to come give it a try this May and get confident in the waves........maybe even confident enough to enter some of the American Windsurfing Tour Events on our Coast this year.

We need all the participation we can get this year on the AWT. I hear Sam is having trouble getting the sponsors to double down, and windsurfing needs this incredible tour to continue. The more participation we get the more it will directly translates into sponsors wanting to participate next year.

The problem with contests is that we all think that if we are not going to win or place in the top 3 then what is the point.......and that is exactly the attitude that has lead to the demise of windsurf competitions in the US. Its not like that in other sports, people sign up for bike races and SUP races and triathlons to prove to themselves that they can do it, not just to win 1st. Joining up for the AWT in Waddell or Pistol is a great idea no matter what your level. There are juniors, womens, masters and even grand grand masters categories and I will assure you that I and a ton of other people will be cheering your every move, heck I will even let anyone borrow my gear if it will encourage more folks to get out there.

The AWT is about windsurfing community, people supporting and cheering for each other and showing the windsurf mob is in force. Screw being #1, I'm not going to win (unless I pay Neptune a hansom ransom....hhmmm) but I will sure be out there having as much if not more fun than the guy who does. And Seriously everyone, if you think you can survive a couple heats in the waves come out and compete, chug a beer and hit the water in your skippies like the late Troy Collins did, cause man that is what the AWT is all about.

If you are worried about surviving the waves then come to Tyson and my Punta San Carlos Clinic where the waves are friendly and the animal print pants are out of control. And we will totally make sure you are ready for your first comp. Or just shoot us and email and come out to Waddell a couple days early and we are totally down to help give you the basics on how to compete.

Tyson Poor and I are heading down to do a clinic for Solosports in San Carlos May 19th -26th (My B -Day is the 25th). In addition to learning to windsurf and SUP in the the easiest,longest, and least scary waves in the world we will also be celebrateing (if that is what you call it) my turning 30. Ya thats right, Millertime is going up and over the hill, but I figure there is no better place to do it than San Carlos, a million miles from civilization with nothing but friends, wind , waves and an unlimited open bar stocked with frosty Pacificos.

San Carlos is our favorite spot in the world to windsurf and the easiest place to learn how to wave sail. (The Mountain Biking and SUP conditons are top notch to). The waves are slow and crumbly with a deep bottom so it is really hard to get munched or break gear. The Side Offshore winds make it so you DO NOT have to be a good surfer to keep speed on the wave, instead when you turn down the line you are on a broad reach so you have tons of power in your sail. Also, Side Off winds mean that you can ride a half mile down wave and make it all the way back up to your starting point in one reach, no tacking back and forth. Not to mention the wave is 7-8 bottom turns long so you get a lot of practice on a single wave. All that and the fact that San Carlos is so remote means crowds are not an issue, usually it is just Tyson, me and your fellow campers in the water. Whatever your level from barely jibing to the seasoned wave sailor, San Carlos is THE place to become a better wave sailor. So come on down and hang with us May 19th -26th.

Here goes the AWT website

www.AmericanWindsurfingTour.com

Also just an idea, we have had great success getting more heads to sign up for the La Ventana Race series by just signing up our buddies in advance and then telling them we already paid the entrance fee and it is non-refundable so they kinda gotta do it.

Hard to get mad at support like that.

wyattflyer 2012.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  248.41 KB
 Viewed:  8076 Time(s)

wyattflyer 2012.jpg

wyattflyer 20122.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.08 KB
 Viewed:  8076 Time(s)

wyattflyer 20122.jpg

wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Survived Cabarete with our livers somewhat intact. Now if we make it through two weeks in Hatteras it is off to wave heaven San Carlos. I hear the spring is already off to an epic start. Can't wait to get down there.

IMG_1841.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.25 MB
 Viewed:  8013 Time(s)

IMG_1841.jpg

Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PISTOL: Waves, wind, the Hawaii lineup, tacos, beer, free camping and showers, and fireside partying.

WHAT MORE DO YOU PEOPLE NEED???
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have said it better myself.

That is the thing about the Pistol Event, there is free camping and showers, at the same location as all the parties and events and you can just walk down the street to food and store. It doesnt get any easier than that.

Even if you don't want to compete (you probably will once you get there) just come camp, sail, support the event and party....June 14th ....
trburl

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought I would compete in wavesailing, but Sam Bittner and the rest of the AWT crew have created a "comp" with tons of Aloha Spirit and positive energy. If they hadn't, I'd say so.

I smack the lip, even when big, and that's where my skill stops currently. It's not gonna take out a Kai or Levi, yet I got to sail against them anyway. No one is taking this too seriously, least of all, the Legends that show and treat you like one of their own, just because you had the chops to go....

For me, I go to the AWT to support the sport and the people who have helped me get to where I am today with my wavesailing, and my life.

It's a cliche, but it's true, the AWT gives EVERYONE, a chance to give back to windsurfing in one way or another. You know, if you are inclined to do that sort of thing. Smile

And I gotta admit, it's hard to deny the little extra juice you feel when you see the best on the planet stomping moves right over your head.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!! Seeing 1111 rotating over your head is a big inspiration! Not to mention the action of the Gorge hero's against the worlds best wave sailors.

Mershon, the Poors, Miller, Metcalf-Perez, Warwick, its quite a show!

Great report! Much Aloha indeed!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: