myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Separation of church and state
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggs
You have to try snowboarding, very easy to learn, and lots of fun. Its like surfing down a 2000 foot wave. Especially it in the spring in that sierra cement(no twisted knees).
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matty, I have snowboarded plenty. im not wired to do both, I just stick to one. I also know kiting is a blast. I, like most on this site am an addict. I only have enough time to concentrate on three core disciplines. Riding, windsurf, ski. I ride about 100 days a year, ski about 35, and windsurf about 50. The rest of the time , I surf a little with my son, and chauffeur him around town for his sports. If there is ANY time left , after I have fulfilled my obligations, then , and only then do I dedicate the remaining time to Mrs. Boggsman.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are sweet addictions. My mother always tells me when I feel guilty taken off to play, that a happy dad is a good dad. Its great now because my boys are skiing as fast as me, best ski buds I ever had.
AbigailMercado

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, church should be separated from the state, as following this or that religion or no religion at all is everyone's free choice, there are plenty of them, and the state should be equally tolerant to them all. Religion shouldn't be forced,and to tell the truth, I am against it as a social institution at all - the most important thing is faith, and the only place we can find it is the depth of our hearts.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people need the trappings. If that helps them, more power to them. Besides, religious organizations do a lot of good work individuals couldn't do.

I had just moved to Utah when a damburst in Idaho took out a town. The government offered cash and resources, but the Mormons, both officially and individually, refused it, saying, "No, thanks; we got it" as they flocked to Idaho from surrounding states to clean up and pick up the pieces. I felt privileged to live and work among people like that for the next seven years.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

I had just moved to Utah when a damburst in Idaho took out a town. The government offered cash and resources, but the Mormons, both officially and individually, refused it, saying, "No, thanks; we got it" as they flocked to Idaho from surrounding states to clean up and pick up the pieces. I felt privileged to live and work among people like that for the next seven years.

Let's see if I understand..... You observed people who helped others but refused a government handout. And you feel "privileged to live and work among people like that..." and yet you willing accept a government handout.

You admire people for refusing to do what you willing do.

Maybe that's the source of your painful inner turmoil. You like them and hate yourself.

Cognitive dissonance. Guilt. Vitriolic hate.

Your solution? Transfer that hate onto somebody else -- convince yourself that somebody else is more offensive and egregious than you.

And that's a tough job.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pueno,

While I understand (but don't support) your fanaticism regarding Iso's disability payments, I wonder if you would be so courageous to bypass government payouts if you were to qualify for any of the things below (I probably missed a few).

Unemployment
Food stamps
Medicaid
Welfare
SSI (Social Security disability)
Cell Phone
Housing
Military disability

Certainly, there are some that are able to abuse the system and receive assistance when they don't deserve/qualify for it, but I feel confident that Iso isn't one of them. I think the military does due diligence with these things.

I was on unemployment twice for a brief time. My employer paid into the system (probably at the expense of a lower salary for me), so when I qualified, I took the money. I didn't really need it, but it was an insurance policy for which I qualified to make a claim.

I think there would be very few of us that would not make a claim for which we legitimate qualify. As for Iso, find another issue to harp on.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgyhjy

Last edited by isobars on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

styjyku

Last edited by isobars on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is repeating; it's not showing up. iW was not responding for a while.

techno900 wrote:
1. While I understand (but don't support) your fanaticism regarding Iso's disability payments, I wonder if you would be so courageous to bypass government payouts if you were to qualify for any of the things below (I probably missed a few).

Unemployment
Food stamps
Medicaid
Welfare
SSI (Social Security disability)
Cell Phone
Housing
Military disability

Certainly, there are some that are able to abuse the system and receive assistance when they don't deserve/qualify for it, but ... think the military does due diligence with these things.

I was on unemployment twice for a brief time. My employer paid into the system (probably at the expense of a lower salary for me), so when I qualified, I took the money. I didn't really need it, but it was an insurance policy for which I qualified to make a claim.

1. I understand it, too: it's just pueno's version of "You're a racist misogynistic homophobic hater m-fing troll". He's just baiting me, so his harangue means nothing, especially since I pay my meager disability payments myself out of my other pocket; my only benefit is the tax break on them. In no way do the payments constitute reasonable compensation for my disabilities' many impacts on my health and function. As you've observed, pueno's only purpose here is to mindlessly harass; he doesn't windsurf or, apparently, think.

Unemployment: a purchased, self-perpetuating product.

Food stamps: a good idea, but probably abused almost as extensively as Medicare.

Medicaid: a purchased product, systemically abused beyond comprehension.

Welfare: great stuff in the minority of cases where it's actually deserved.

SSI (Social Security disability): extremely hard to get in most jurisdictions.

Cell Phone and Housing: I don't know why they're on this list. People are free to purchase either. I finally bought a cell phone a few years ago, just for iWindsurf data (it sits on a shelf unused from roughly November until April), and most homeless people choose that lifestyle and/or made conscious decisions that left them homeless. VA shelters routinely go unused by homeless vets who prefer the streets even in the winter.

Military disability: very difficult to get. Each injury-specific application takes years, and many or most are refused. I pay cash, buy outside insurance, and/or have no assistance or compensation at all for some uncorrectable disabilities stemming from active duty, and I'm still way ahead of the hundreds of thousands -- maybe millions? -- of vets who were never prompted or assisted in applying for assistance. Many or most of my active duty friends never even applied for VA benefits, due to their low regard for that system. I don't mind that my benefits are reduced because my income exceeds the means test threshold, but many of those hundreds of thousands are scraping by without assistance they badly need and clearly earned. I am certain that FAR more vets are getting screwed by their system than are screwing it. It took them ... what? ... 30-40 years of litigation to get the government to admit that Agent Orange exposure was disabling and killing them, and the government's promise of "free lifetime health care" for retired career veterans has been shoved up our butts for decades now after we retire.

As other threads and posts clearly show, I resent the hell out of people who have no problem living under the blood-soaked safety umbrella the free world's first responders have provided them for millennia yet spit on its providers. But responding appropriately is worth the effort only when the venom comes from otherwise credible sources; only rational adults, bright children, and truly exceptional Labrador retrievers qualify.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: