myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Changing from Mitt to Newt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
All good reasons to end all section 8 housing expect for truely disabled people. Reduce food stamps to only fresh vegatables, meat, milk, and cheese. No sodas, cookies, baked items except whole wheat bread etcetera. Also drug testing.

Damned right. Let 'em sleep under bridges. And they should pay for their own drug testing so taxpayers don't bear the burden.

And clearly the gummint has a responsibility to tell these slackers what to eat and how to live. Smaller gummint, outta people's lives, unless it's other people.

Right? Rolling Eyes

stevenbard wrote:
The newest big scam in the news is that people in droves are being labled disabled after their 99 weeks of unemployment insurance ends. 70% of Americans receive more from the govt that they pay in. This has to end badly.

Hmm. Let me think....... Who do we know on this forum who receives a disability check..... and complains bitterly about all the goods and services that the (other) unworthy receive.... Shocked
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sec8 provides housing for children born into poverty.In the past they were allowed to die on the street. By putting them into nightmarish welfare ghettos we bred a violent underclass at great public expense.By renting from ordinary people in ordinary neighborhoods the govt cost to taxpayers dropped 70 percent.The children were given a chance at normal life.
Some think part of the drop in violent crime in this country is directly attributable to sec 8 program.
It reduced the size of gov. Created a huge opportunity for the private sector to grow.
Not many people would throw these children out into the trash dumps and sidewalks of America if they really thought about it.
The programs handful of critics are just railing against welfare thoughtlessly.
It is about children, not lazy welfarebums.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
SNIP

My beliefs are completely against western medicine, and I beleive the food we eat is the main reaon why health care costs are so high. Kids drink soda, and eat sugary crap, then they lose attention, then they go on Ritulin, game over. SNIP

Bard, are you serious? This represents what you understand to cause Attention Deficit Disorder? It appears you know next to nothing about it. Ritalin is game over? That is such an ignorant statement.

Ritalin may or may not be overprescribed, but it and its cousins can work wonders for those in need. It does not "jack-up" people who need it but actually calms them down so they can be far more productive and not a drain on their families or society in general.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I attended a Repub. caucus once. It was more like a religious revival meeting. The zealots got a lot of play. A moderate was treated like a heathen.

I was heavily and formally involved in Washington state's caucus for weeks, from initial neighborhood public meetings to preparation for state level meetings. It was exactly the opposite of what you claim. Everyone on every side had their say and were treated as adults, with absolutely zero hoopla. We raised our hands to speak, spoke only when recognized by the chair, and discussed real issues head on, with no derision and NO PERSONAL ATTACKS, not on each other and not on the other party.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
I attended a Repub. caucus once. It was more like a religious revival meeting. The zealots got a lot of play. A moderate was treated like a heathen.

I was heavily and formally involved in Washington state's caucus for weeks, from initial neighborhood public meetings to preparation for state level meetings. It was exactly the opposite of what you claim. Everyone on every side had their say and were treated as adults, with absolutely zero hoopla. We raised our hands to speak, spoke only when recognized by the chair, and discussed real issues head on, with no derision and NO PERSONAL ATTACKS, not on each other and not on the other party.

Eh, I was head of the College Republicans at my university back in the late 80's and early 90's. While most general meetings often were nothing more than beer festivals among people wearing expensive clothes, I found that the policy and organizational meetings shocking insofar as how common racial slurs were used, and how resistant my fellow Republicans were to actually allowing local government to help the local people in need. From their policy perspective, no government program was a good government program -far removed from the party platform of keeping government local to best address local concerns. All the talk was about racial demographics, abortion and how Christianity was under attack by the Democrats and communists. No kidding.

I turned in my elephant tie when a regional boss asked me if I was Jewish. I replied that I was not, at which point he told me that some in the party leadership didn't have room for non-Christians. So that was enough for me.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And at today's Republican caucus -- WA state no longer has primary party elections; they cost too much -- our delegate and GOP candidate selection process began with today's raise-your-hands-and-be-counted town meetin' ... literally.

Some observations:

Several thousand registered Republican voters in my county convened in three rooms with a total legal capacity of about 950 people. My 372-person room contained > 1,000 people and it was reported on the national news that the very caucus I attended had to turn away 1,500 registered Republican voters. Like a solid majority of the nation as indicated by the polls, we're PISSED about the direction this nation is moving.

In my local precinct, with apparently the biggest turnout of all, every single delegate and all the alternate delegates voted in were verbally -- not legally -- bound to Romney.

Yet not ONE sneer, or dirty look, or comment, or any reaction whatsoever, occurred when some isolationist suicidal nincompoop raised his hand to vote for Ron Paul. (We kept our disdain to ourselves and breathed a sigh of relief as they were outvoted.)

The only unified crowd reactions were the applause and cheers when the speaker announced that turnout was several times their wildest expectations and when all 1,000+ of the people in my room loudly and clearly swore in perfect unison our Pledge of Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands. No religion, no zealotry beyond admiration for country, and zero mistreatment of even the most misguided Paul supporter. (They included maybe 10%, of all ages.)

The WA GOP platform handed out to us starts with and derives from this Statement of Principles (What's wrong with these ideals?):

We are Republicans because…
We believe the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each
person’s dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.

We believe in equal rights, equal justice, and equal opportunity for all,
regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.

We believe the proper role of government is to provide for the people only
those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private
organizations and that the best government is that which governs least.

We believe the most effective, responsible and responsive government is the
government closest to the people.

We believe free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought
this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.

We believe government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow
individuals to keep more of the money they earn.

We believe Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong
while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of
changing times.

We believe Americans value and should preserve our national strength and
pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout
the world.

We believe the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these
ideals into positive and successful principles of government.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever really supports those ideals must be just as pissed off as many posters are here about the GOP abandoning all principle at the federal levels.
Look at the primary candidates, the Grand Old Partys chosen finest leaders in 2012.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
Whoever really supports those ideals must be just as pissed off as many posters are here about the GOP abandoning all principle at the federal levels.
Look at the primary candidates, the Grand Old Partys chosen finest leaders in 2012.

Potential republican candidates with any brains are too smart to join the GOP nitwits onstage, else they be painted with the same brush and forever ridiculed. Thus, the GOP is not likely to present any serious contenders -- at least none who will rub elbows with the current crop of clowns.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this kinda made me laugh..
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newt claims Obama is the "Food Stamp President". Another distortion. How can we have an honest discussion on reducing welfare roles if these guys have to spin everything.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012-01-18/fact-check-gingrich-obama-food-stamps/52645882/1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 27 of 29

Jump to: