myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Top 10 forum contributors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty (wooot),
Don't beat yourself up over Mr. Fick's problems on this and other forums. It's nothing you can solve and, rest assured, nothing you created. It's often been suggested that he exhibits classic signs of NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder) but you can judge that for yourself.

Quote:
Signs of NPD (Narcissistic Personality Disorder)

• Extreme infatuation with oneself, self-centered, expects to be recognized as superior
• Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited power, success, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
• Sees himself as “special” and should only have to affiliate with others of a similar stature
• Takes advantage of others to achieve his needs
• Demonstrates a constant need for admiration or approval
• Exaggerates personal achievements while minimizing those of others
• Is convinced that he/she is unique
• Feels entitled to special treatment and that rules frequently don’t apply to him
• Demands compliance with his/her expectations
• Is unable to demonstrate or understand empathy or compassion
• Often criticizes and/or puts others down
• Assumes himself to be more knowledgeable than those around him
• Quick to anger or feel insulted or slighted
• Rages with anger when upset
• Denies he/she has issues to work on – sees himself/herself as nearly perfect
• Frequently humiliates or abuses others, although he/she doesn’t see it as abuse
• Sulks when he/she doesn’t get his/her way
• Nothing is ever his/her fault
• Drives recklessly and/or way too fast
• Exaggerates the truth or blatantly lies
• Rarely treats anyone with respect or kindness
• Doesn’t acknowledge or respect other’s boundaries
• Always wants to be in control
• May drink and drive regularly
• His/her need for attention, time, and space matter – yours do not
• Has difficulty putting himself/herself in another’s shoes
• Rarely recognizes the accomplishments or abilities of others
• Doesn’t appear to have a conscience
• Does not take criticism well and becomes defensive easily
• Rarely expresses appreciation of others
• Is easily hurt and insulted
• Considers most others in the world “idiots”
• Shows no feelings of remorse or guilt for his/her mistakes or the hurts he/she dishes out
• Wins most arguments through the use of rationalizing his/her behavior
• Blames others for all his/her problems
• Frequently complains that whatever you do, it isn’t “good enough”
• Is often paranoid – thinks people are talking about him/her behind his/her back
• Has a hard time accepting the opinions or ideas of others
• Always has to win any argument
• Is often envious of others, or thinks others envy him/her
• His/her attitude is generally haughty or arrogant
• Rarely can understand another’s point of view
• Hates to stand in line – he/she shouldn’t have to, as his/her time is more valuable than others
• Leaves others feeling as though they need to “walk on eggshells” around him
• Hates to be thought of as ordinary or average
• Often leaves you feeling guilty, drained, fearful, exhausted, just plain stupid, and most of all, wondering how you got there

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An outsider looking in can see why people become annoyed and polarized in their views of others, especially Mr Fick.

There are characteristics in Mr Ficks responses to whole threads, and to others writings, which infuriate me, as much as they. (It would be self defeating to go into them. Suffice to say most here see things for what they are, and have given up trying to reason with him.)

Sadly, much now written by him appears to be argument for the sake of it, ( superior mind, or inferiority complex??), which I see as trolling. There is a limit to what can be excused under the guise of enthusiasm, and nobody appreciates anybody who always has to be right, whatever the subject.

As even one of his 'friends' has now said, he no longer wishes to acknowledge his existence, nor be recognised by him.

He should know!
scargo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Gurgle, I too have concluded that he's trolling. And I've kicked myself for taking the bait, but it's hard not to when you've had enough of his disinformation campaigns.

One thing that helps is to recognize his patterns, because he nearly always follows the same MO:

1. Insert himself into a thread, even if it's completely off topic.
2. Wait for someone to point that out, or say he's wrong.
3. Allege that that person is engaged in "baseless personal attacks," and the like.
4. If the person defends himself, claim that the response is not based on reason, scientific proof, etc. (as if any of his assertions are).
5. If the person continues to defend himself--or, especially, if others join in the defense--claim that the whole thing is politically motivated (that's right, only lefty liberals FFF).
6. Play the "poor me" card (although this sometimes happens earlier).

The sad part is that he actually could be a decent resource if he didn't get so strident and dogmatic about everything. But because he does, he disrupts the organic and constructive way that adult conversations are supposed to develop--and consequently drives people away from the forum.

At this point, I don't think anyone could make a serious case that the forum wouldn't be a lot better off without him. But that's not going to happen, so the only answer is to marginalize him by not egging him on--a rule I just violated Smile.
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How it works
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough of this thread. Let's start new ones and talk about windsurfing. Talking about iso is like talking about bruce...it just encourages them.

We want to encourage the damels.

rcastle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found over the years you all have good things to say and have learned from everyone.

I don't want us windsurfers to implode. Debating an opinion turns me off, and will turn off new windsurfers as well. Please stop.

Let go of what you disagree with.. Us weekend warriors can discern what we want to take in. Share your experiences - that's what keeps me here.

Ron
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooot woote: Mike, Please no longer state that I said I called you a liar. I NEVER said that.

Yes, you have, both face to face and at least twice in this forum. One doesn’t have to use the word “liar” to call someone a liar; saying they said something they know is false is exactly the same. One example: At http://tinyurl.com/83zu53v , you posted this lie (on both accounts)”
"Isobars has ripped me, among many others, for no apparent reason on these forums.”

wooot wrote:“You seem to think I am attacking you. Quite the contrary, my friend”

Seriously? Among other insults you’ve thrown my way here and in person are these:
• The “ripped” comment above.
• “Don't take bits and peices out of context and number and "clip it" to fit your needs” From Feb 2011 thread at http://tinyurl.com/875shhg. You ignored my response: “If I distorted even one nuance of your post, please explain and I will correct it. It was not intentional”. Yet rather than respond, you simply repeated the empty accusation.
• “You, my friend may be a lost cause”
• “You just don't "get it", do you?”
• “So very sad”
• “3 pages of drivel” from this “self-appointed expert” [your expert assessment of my recitations of the published works of many world champion athletes, windsurfers, trainers, team physicians, and coaches]
• “Ignore much of … the drivel from SOME of the frequent posters”
• “No wonder this forum is dead”
• Your rabid endorsement of another’s “I thought he was just a huge wind!”
• “Your [sic] nothing but a hollow "know it all”“.
• “dealing w/ things in a lighter vein" also known as laughing a bit at your (our) selves is foreign to you”

Jeez, Marty, if those aren’t personal attacks, I’d surely hate to see some real ones.

And, of course, there are your repeated [and refuted, thus known to be false] fabrications of things I never said:
wooot wrote:
• "[you claim to] throw 12 foot walls of water in my six-G-turns (that would buckle the knees of a mere mortal other than the "Great Isobars)... right before you go into your 25 ft. launch (with 6 second hang time)?? “those 12 ft walls of spray aren't nearly that tall... your jumps are typically about 4-6 feet... not 20” [I have corrected you before that I never made claims anything like these or your prior similar fabrications represented as fact, not parody like this one. This isn’t a mistake the second time; it’s a lie.]
• “You also aren't doing 2 or 3 for 4 4hour sessions a day.” [Again, I’ve often denied your and others’ misattributions that I still do 3 or have ever done 4, 4-hour sessions in a day]
• “I accidentally read a post from a guy who was asking about sailing in the Pugit Sound... your response was... (basically, paraphrasing)... "dude, Seattle and the Pugit sound sucks.. bite the bullett and drive to the Gorge where the real sailing is.”

Even represented as a paraphrase, that’s a lie ... a deliberate, over-the-top distortion of my legitimate, well-intentioned response. I have never sailed anywhere near Seattle or Puget Sound, and its locals were handling that part just fine, so I have no reason or basis to comment on that aspect. SeaDawg (see http://tinyurl.com/7k2qutg ) LIVES NEAR LAKE ERIE, is looking at Puget through the lens of Google Earth, and this is another in his long line of inquiries addressing the whole PacNW, not just Puget Sound or Seattle. He’s looking at the Big Picture, as makes sense for a guy trying to blend career, family, and windsurfing. He’s unlikely to know much about Nuclear Alley, Vantage, or the shortcut from Seattle to the Gorge, so I informed him of some other accessible opportunities and offered him motivation by example to pursue them. If we aren’t supposed to offer information and motivation to people who request it, what IS our purpose here?

wooot asked: Why would you comment on sailing in the Sound ???

Marty, what are you on? You know I did not.

wooot opined: “If I lived in Seattle I might want catch a sesh without driving 3 1/2 hours”

And you might also want to know what else is available, especially if you were moving 2,000 miles and changing careers for it.

I have no control over what negative people or inattentive readers choose to read into my posts. All I can do is write ‘em for readers who can see through false personal assaults like yours and take my posts at face value without distortion. I gave SeaDawg useful decision fodder; what did you contribute besides angst?

wooot decreed: “Respond to posts that you have direct input on …”

I do, and I did. How about you address what I HAVE said, rather than fabricating my posts for me?

wooot added: “NOT damn near ALL of them.”

I’ve posted in 45 of the last 200 windsurfing threads -- 23% -- usually only once or twice. So sue me. JEEZ, but people seem to be jealous of my retirement!

Then you tell me how and what I should sail and on what conditions I prefer or CAN sail given my medical status, and in Oct, 2008, at
http://tinyurl.com/7g4lgt5 , you called my factual, impersonal explanation of the design differences between two very different sails a “counterattack”.

wooot wants the easy way out: “Lets just call it a truce... I never speak to you EVER again or acknowledge you exist in ANY way, and Vise versa.... Deal??”

Only if you stop fabricating posts for me and backstabbing me and others here and at Roosevelt. You’ve been caught baselessly maligning two Roosey regulars that I know of. Who needs friends like that?

And, finally (I hope), wooot apologized: “I am TRULY sorry for all the turmoil”

If you’d pay at least a little attention to the turmoil your character assassinations stir up, Marty, or at least aim them at more subservient targets, you wouldn’t put yourself in a position to need to apologize for turmoil.

If the rest of you want me to ignore ALL, rather than only 90%, of the character assassinations here, then stand up and demand that they stop. Until then, I refuse to ignore ALL of them.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
Like Gurgle, I too have concluded that he's trolling. And I've kicked myself for taking the bait, but it's hard not to when you've had enough of his disinformation campaigns.

Cite ONE disinformation campaign or that's a lie.

1. Insert himself into a thread, even if it's completely off topic.

I don't have to; someone almost always manages to beat me to it.

2. Wait for someone to point that out, or say he's wrong.

PROVE me wrong all you want, but SAYING it proves nothing.

3. Allege that that person is engaged in "baseless personal attacks," and the like.

Allegations aren't necessary; the attacks are right there on the screen.

4. If the person defends himself, claim that the response is not based on reason, scientific proof, etc. (as if any of his assertions are).

I usually offer proof if appropriate, which is more than most others do.

5. If the person continues to defend himself--or, especially, if others join in the defense--claim that the whole thing is politically motivated (that's right, only lefty liberals FFF).

Again, when that's appropriate, I back it up.

6. Play the "poor me" card

More accurately characterized as "here's another irrefutable example of people throwing more lies in our punch; am I the only one who cares?"

Scargo added: He disrupts the organic and constructive way that adult conversations are supposed to develop--and consequently drives people away from the forum.

Oh ... like all the GD character assassination doesn't drive people away. This group wouldn't recognize an adult conversation if Billy Graham were moderator, and people wouldn't PM me for WINDSURFING gear and technique guidance so much if they wanted more character assassination and less relevant advice.

and, finally, scargo wrote:
: At this point, I don't think anyone could make a serious case that the forum wouldn't be a lot better off without him. But that's not going to happen

You're goddamned right it's not, at least not on your terms. You have no IDEA how much I loathe the childish, lying, jealous character assassination that dominates this forum and the biased media on both sides, and I'm not going to run and hide from it ... especially just after the unexplained death of one of this country's greatest -- flaws and all -- campaigners for standing up to bullies. If you GD bullies want me to leave, BORE me rather than just pissing me off. I don't F-ing LIKE bullies, especially cowards hiding behind fake names. BUT DO I TRY TO RUN THEM OFF THE FORUM? No ... I just refuse to to look at the most odious ones' BS and campaign against their lowdown behavior. That's a major difference between managing one's own life (the political right) and trying to run everybody else's life (the political left).

Last edited by isobars on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcastle wrote:
Debating an opinion turns me off, and will turn off new windsurfers as well. Please stop.

Please explain how else to help questioners and observers evaluate differing opinions.

rcastle wrote:
Let go of what you disagree with.. Us weekend warriors can discern what we want to take in.

I flat do not understand that. If all anyone's allowed to see is the first opinion that's posted, how does anyone learn anything? Is the first poster always right? How does anyone UNDERSTAND a process as complex as WSing if all he gets to see is one or two limited opinions on any given facet? And if we forego understanding for the sake of brevity, how do we solve the NEXT related dilemma that shows up? One or three pat answers is nothing but a fish stick, but a detailed discussion teaches us how to fish for ourselves. If only the first opinion is heard, we'd all be sailing the same frigging gear in the same frigging way ... longboards, clumsy sails, and maybe if we're lucky a few insane mavericks on drugs doing the occasional head dip. Hell, the many sailors who often BFF when conditions get gnarly would actually believe it's not allowed.

ALLOWED!

rcastle added: Share your experiences - that's what keeps me here.
Great ... for you. What about people who want to learn something ... about places, gear, technique, possibilities, venues, etc.? Should they just go away and learn how to sail and shop for gear and find wind on their own?

Should they confine their gear purchase or jibing questions to PMs?

But you are on to something: the absolute surest way to run me off this forum is to confine it to experiences. Two days of that ... one to spot it and another to convince me it's not a fluke ... and I'm gone. Guaranteed! In the last 30 + years of windsurfing magazines, I've enjoyed -- heck, read -- exactly TWO "What I did last summer" articles: one on the Turnagain Arm and one on a couple of pros chasing a hurricane to the eastern U.S. coast. Some of us watch ZERO sports and read almost ZERO novels simply because we'd rather play and learn than watch others live their lives. We prefer real to vicarious lives, and don't have time for both. Thank God for individuality.

Mike \m/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, this guy is going down, and it's only a matter of time.

Just for fun, I reviewed isobars' link above, http://tinyurl.com/7g4lgt5 , to include all of the pertinent posts throughout the thread (all of isobars' and wooot's), and not just the 4th page. Also, I didn't participate in the thread, so I didn't have any bone to pick at the time. Ironically, it presents all the arrogance and insistence that's so characteristically isobars. Once he sunk his teeth into the thread and hijacked it, he wouldn't let go. In my view, wooot's original post was well intended, and very accurate overall. Sail settings are very personal, and observant folks know that. Yet, in a classic isobars style, he "ripped" into wooot for his opinion.

In isobars' following post, just see how he handled scargo's post? And the third post made by rcastle after that?

You be the judge.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: