myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Trying to start windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NjSurfbum23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Trying to start windsurfing Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

So I'm a surfer/grad student, and lately I have been getting the bug to windsurf. I have been reading up on the sport/equipment, but unfortunately my bank account will not let me purchase a new setup.

I have been searching this webpage, craigslist, and random other internet web pages, and have been unable to find a decent windsurfer to get started on for a reasonable price. I was hoping to find someone here who might have any advice on how to go about finding a windsurfer, or happens to have one they are willing to sell. I'm 6'1, about 185lbs (probably 195-200 with a 5mil wetsuit). I live in New Jersey, and am willing to travel for the right setup.

I think the type of board i need to start with is a long board setup, which I can learn the basics on and use in a variety of conditions while I learn about the sport. In an ideal world where money isn't an object, a kona one or bic jungle hybrid board? I might be wrong about the appropriate setup. If anybody has information that can direct me in my learning, it would be more than appreciated.

Thanks again!
spookini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're trying to find consensus on this forum, I wish you luck Laughing

I started WS'ing 2 seasons ago. My take on it is there are two options: wide-style board, or longboard/SUP hybrid...

Wide-style beginner board (170L+) offers the promise of planing, but they are not exactly speed machines, even on a plane. They do sail fine in light-winds, but it's a bit unsatisfying. ("Faster than swimming...")

The long-board/SUP will glide better, might never plane. But I think it could be more fun in light winds.

I feel your pain in terms of $$. I tried to get in cheap, and still spent more than I had hoped. Used sails/masts/booms can be had on the cheap though. Finding a quality used board is more difficult.

If I had to do it over, I'd probably search for a (used) SUP that accepts a sail. That way you'll have a fun/mellow toy to paddle around while you search for inexpensive used sails/rigs on c'list. Smile

Good luck!
almineev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy beginner board. Buy 2-3-4 lessons, then get an intermediate board around 130L. Lessons will get you to the 130L board which will serve you for a longer time during intermediate phase.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the SUP idea, it's working for me.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first, do you have any prior sailing experience? Windsurfing primarily requires sailing skill. Your surfing experience will be somewhat helpful with balance and being comfortable in the water, but if you don't know anything about sailing, I would highly recommend you take at least one lesson to learn the basics. There are a couple things about windsurfing that aren't intuitive and you'll likely struggle in the early learning phase if you don't have at least a basic understanding of how things work.

Otherwise, there are a couple shops in Jersey that can likely help you out getting started. That's where I'd go first. Shops have the expertise to get you on gear that will work for you rather than just buying some junk off craigslist and regretting it.

Also, where are you in located and where do you expect to sail. There are a lot of good spots in New Jersey for everyone from beginners to expert wave sailors, so welcome to the sport, you've made a good choice!

sm
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NjSurfbum23 wrote:
I have been searching this webpage, craigslist, and random other internet web pages, and have been unable to find a decent windsurfer to get started on for a reasonable price. I was hoping to find someone here who might have any advice on how to go about finding a windsurfer, or happens to have one they are willing to sell. I'm 6'1, about 185lbs (probably 195-200 with a 5mil wetsuit). I live in New Jersey, and am willing to travel for the right setup.

February isn't a great time to look for used gear, at least not on the East Coast. Wait a couple of months and try again. You'll find a much more active market in April/May. Extreme Windsurfing in Atlantic City has a swap meet in the spring, which might be a good opportunity to find reasonably priced used gear.

NjSurfbum23 wrote:
I think the type of board i need to start with is a long board setup, which I can learn the basics on and use in a variety of conditions while I learn about the sport. In an ideal world where money isn't an object, a kona one or bic jungle hybrid board? I might be wrong about the appropriate setup.

Definitely agreed that a long board with a dagger board will be your best option as a beginner. Kona is a great board. I've never tried the Bic Jungle. I have a Fanatic Viper, and it has been a great board for learning and even for intermediate level windsurfing.

NjSurfbum23 wrote:
If anybody has information that can direct me in my learning, it would be more than appreciated.

Gotta agree with bred2shred and others, a lesson or two would be an excellent investment. Also, the New Jersey Watersports Association has a "Fun Day" several times each year, at which they offer free or very inexpensive beginner lessons.
wseibert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no beginner, but then I'm still a struggling intermediate after many years. Two years ago I wanted to teach a couple of friends, so I borrowed a friend's Starboard Start which was only 140 liters. It worked pretty well for teaching, but I might have opted for something a bit bigger.

Then one day I took it out with a 7.5 and had a blast - fully planing, I even jibed it and had a great time.

My reason for ponting this out is that wide boards can take you from beginner to intermediate and remain fun the whole time.

Will
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where will you be sailing? That's a big factor, because if you're going to be on inland lakes, that's a check in the longboard column.
I like the Kona idea, but you might also want to think about something like a Bic Techno 293. That will give you a taste of both worlds.

I would stongly counsel against going too small. Even if you have good balance from surfing, people forget how hard it is for beginners to stay upwind. That's why your first board should have a daggerboard or removable skeg. And if you get a board with decent performance (a planing longboard or a wide shortboard), you can continue to use it with a big sail on light days.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ-

I wouldn't get too fixated on the particular make and model of board you want, since there are a lot of boards that will work fine to start with, and the one you get will be dictated mostly by what you can find and afford. As long as it has a daggerboard and at least 180 liters volume you'll be OK.

I also got into windsurfing in grad school, and I wrote a guide for poor people getting into windsurfing that you can find here:

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2008/07/poor-persons-guide-to-windsurfing.html

Good luck.

SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, since you are a student you probably have a spring break coming up. If you want to head to hatteras I have a kona one I'm not married to. I live in Richmond,Va and could try and arrange a try n' buy. Longboards are a very traditional way to learn and are great to have if you have lots of lighter winds to deal with.

Bear in mind, if you like wind surfing it's addictive. You will want at least two boards and 3-4 sails,two masts,two booms, various fins weed,speed,manuver.

I don't know wherther short and wide is better to learn on. I also have a 2000 Tiga FreeX 79/200ltr. My son has used both to learn on. I can say that he was able to learn "how to sail" on the Kona and the planning short board feel is coming from the Tiga.

Good luck and welcome to the sport!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: