myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin Material
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Fin Material Reply with quote

Can someone please explain to me about different fin material and how it applys to a Baffer pump and jump sailer like me... not looking to brake any speed records or bust any moves for everyone to see on the beach.. Im just out to have a good time....

I can across these Unifiber Fins at a good price compared to other leading brands and wonder if they are decent and if anyone has tried them ...

Freeride Fin states..
With a wide chord for straight-line stability with a smart curve for jibes and turns. All size benefit from a Vinylester construction resulting in softer handling characteristics

Are there any Pros and Cons compared to a G10 fin or any other material..

They will be used on Fanatic Freewaves

thanks.

K
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fin Material Reply with quote

KBack wrote:
Can someone please explain to me about different fin material and how it applys to a Baffer pump and jump sailer like me... not looking to brake any speed records or bust any moves for everyone to see on the beach.. Im just out to have a good time....

I can across these Unifiber Fins at a good price compared to other leading brands and wonder if they are decent and if anyone has tried them ...

Freeride Fin states..
With a wide chord for straight-line stability with a smart curve for jibes and turns. All size benefit from a Vinylester construction resulting in softer handling characteristics

Are there any Pros and Cons compared to a G10 fin or any other material..

They will be used on Fanatic Freewaves

thanks.

K

G10 is going to be stiffer, sometimes good sometimes not so good, an English Fin company is getting popular K4, and their fins are a composite plastic, plastic is just the general description, way more hi tech.

I have loads of surf size fins that are plastic, fiberglass, and combos of carbon , that I use on my multi fin boards, also have G10 for them. It is desirable to have some looseness on a quad or tri fin. I can alter the feel by shape and length for the effect I want/like

the softer handling characteristics they describe are the fins being less stiff so more flex, in a longer fin that may not be to your liking, the board could be too loose, personal taste. Their are fins that are prepeg, not G10 are a little stiff.

If this is for a single fin board I would stay with a better G10 fin, sounds like its a freeride and longer.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
KBack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Fanatic Freewaves 95 and 105.... they come stock with 27cm 29cm MFC considering of adding 32 and 36cm
damel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great conversation to start. I just started improving my fin quiver and realized how much performance and range I have been missing from my boards.

Generally speaking the stiffer G10 fins give a more direct drive and feel. They will help you go faster, go upwind, plane through jibes and result in more drawn out turns on a wave (single fin). I have found that you can slide G10 fins when you want but they are harder to control in a slide and you would definitely prefer a poly fin. Softer polyester fins sacrifice some of the drive you get for turning ability. If you want to stay in the bowl of a wave on a single fin board a polyester type fin works best. The polyester fins are also cheaper, easier to repair, and don't split like a G10 fin which is a fin ending break.

The simplest reason to have 2 different fin materials is G10 for onshore condition and a polyester fin for side-off at least that was the first thing I tried and felt an immediate benefit. If you are mostly doing bump and jump stuff on 85L+ boards I would stick with a G10 whenever possible but its all personal preference.

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damel nails it!
damel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fin Material Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
I have loads of surf size fins that are plastic, fiberglass, and combos of carbon , that I use on my multi fin boards, also have G10 for them. It is desirable to have some looseness on a quad or tri fin. I can alter the feel by shape and length for the effect I want/like...

1. Have you experimented with polyester fins in a quad setup?
2. Have you ever considered a G10&Polyester setup for a twin fin when you know you will be ridding the same tack on the wave all day? I have always thought about this for marginal conditions when its hard to get out.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KBack wrote:
They are Fanatic Freewaves 95 and 105.... they come stock with 27cm 29cm MFC considering of adding 32 and 36cm

32cm sounds fine, 36cm IMO is long for a 105L, the 29cm seems short, but may be a lot of area, the other thing to consider along with length.

My Naish 104L All Terrain came with a 32cm, its long and thin.

Do yourself a FAVOR, and write PIO at MFC , tell him what you have, your intended sail range, and include the G10 question .

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fin Material Reply with quote

damel wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:
I have loads of surf size fins that are plastic, fiberglass, and combos of carbon , that I use on my multi fin boards, also have G10 for them. It is desirable to have some looseness on a quad or tri fin. I can alter the feel by shape and length for the effect I want/like...

1. Have you experimented with polyester fins in a quad setup?
2. Have you ever considered a G10&Polyester setup for a twin fin when you know you will be ridding the same tack on the wave all day? I have always thought about this for marginal conditions when its hard to get out.

1. I don't understand what "polyester" fins are, the FCS surf fins I have tried on a quad are glass flex, or Resin transfer molding, and K4s. On a quad I lean towards G10 and smaller, and asymmetrical with toe in both front and back.
1A. the quad ( a conversion from single) I did a lot of work with ended up with too much toe, no matter what fins I used, I removed and re installed the boxes, it is sweet now.

2. NO, my only twin as such has USbox. One of my quads I can try that as a twin, but doubt at my level it would make any difference.

3. for a tri fin configuration, I use either fiberglass as the sides or the ultra light weight FCS with a very sophisticated inside foil. H3s or GXQ.

4. I have found that a quad to perform to its potential need the boxes, toe and fins to all be in unison, they are by far the most technical to tune.
But then I only have tuned my own creations. a factory Tabou quad was ok, with 50/50 fins, but draggy, and not so snappy in turns as mine.

5. I have a shit load of fins

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to fins, I find that G10 or molded carbon fins are unquestionably superior, with the former being the most durable overall. Frankly, I wouldn't waste my money on polyester fins. Similarly, I buy only carbon booms, and I wouldn't even consider buying aluminum booms. The same can be said about the difference between carbon and fiberglass (if you could find one today) masts. You get what you pay for.
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess "polyester" fins are fins made from fiberglass cloth and using polyester based resin like the older surfboards. In resins, there's vinylester, polyester, and epoxy, going from softest to stiffest.
Within each fin, you can choose the layup to enhance the characteristics you are looking for. Using more layers of thinner cloth enhances stiffness and quick rebound, while using less layers of thicker cloth tends to enhance flex and a slower rebound.
It's not all that simple exactly what characteristics are idea, as fin size, fin shape, thickness, rider weight, wind speed, board width, all change the factors needed for an "ideal" fin.
As a lightweight old school single fin rider, I use polyester resined wave fins for all wave sailing, especially bigger waves, and combo carbon/g-10 epoxy fins for long skinny slalom fins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: