myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Large wave board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazlo, Is that the 120 liter 260cm model?
laci

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Steve. It is 120liters; I think its probably a 2009 model, it has a single us base fin. You have seen me on it, in fact you took a picture of me on it a couple of years ago. Iwindsurf is not accepting attachments at the moment, otherwise I would post the picture.

minitankerweb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  565.38 KB
 Viewed:  13657 Time(s)

minitankerweb.jpg

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photo.

Hey San Diego guys, was it sailable at Tourmaline or other locations down there today?
eghoffman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't make it out, but there were kiters on the Surfline cam. It looked pretty sloppy, though. Saturday was fun, but there wasn't enough wind on Sunday when the swell came up.
waitinSD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...19 on my phone with overhead sets...Turmo at it's best. Unfortunately only able to do a drive-by. Ussual suspects just arriving and looked like they were gonna have some fun.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://exocet-original.com/archive.php

search these archives for pics and videos of konas now called curves.

http://exocet-original.com/curve.php

curve 11'5 worx for me in way offshore to onshore stuff, 4-25 mph winds. foot straps work best for me when the wind is 12+ mph or higher. some i know that have done other boards state that, "foot straps may get in the way in winds under that." i have found they no longer distract me. musta forgotten about that aspect a few years ago. millions of waves since....

backsideaerial7.5phantomon11'5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.43 KB
 Viewed:  13329 Time(s)

backsideaerial7.5phantomon11'5.jpg

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
laci

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Outcast, I sent you a PM regarding the Minitanker.
sailwave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the larger RRD Freestyle wave boards. I'm 180 lbs and have the 2010 120 liter size. Works very good in light wind up to head high waves with 5.2m to 6.5m sails. Not the tightest turning but always compromises to stay afloat. Really easy to tack. I live in Norcal now and get many more wave days in the 10-15 knot range since I got this board.

Link to 2012 designs: http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/equipment/index.php/windsurfing/freestylewave-x-tech-v2.html
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eghoffman wrote:
My 8'10" doesn't plane so well. It'll "plane up" on a wave, but definitely not on the way out. I ride it 2+1, though, which probably adds a lot of drag, and don't use straps on it, so part of the issue is probably my preferences. San Diego is so light most of the time that planing's not much of a consideration, anyway. The rails are pretty soft and there's a lot of rocker, so it's definitely not as optimized for planing as a board like a Sea Lion would be. I also ride it with a 5.8, so it's not like I ever really even expect to get it on plane. I tried riding it as a quad, but it had no lateral stability sailing and even paddling felt like I had too much yaw - I was switching sides every couple of strokes.

Tyler - I could uphaul it too when I weighed as little as you do! Wink Put some meat on those bones and it becomes a lot more work to uphaul in the waves!

WaitininSD - PM me if you want to try out the WidePoint or a 9'8" Element. They won't ride like a shortboard, but you'll get plenty of days on them. I'm only about a mile from the beach.

Try a smaller sail!!!
I also have that board, (I'm 160#) but if you use the same big sail that you would normally choose for a windsurfing board, it will be too big for the 8-10 WP, forcing the board down on the water as opposed to forward.
Flotation is not a problem with the WP, so there is no reason for a big sail, a 5.0 or even a 4.7 or 4.5 will give you much better results in that light of wind, with that much flotation.
And that goes for most SUP boards w/sails, use smaller sails!
Besides, all you want to do is to putt around and be able to drop in on those sweet waves, right?
eghoffman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, it's San Diego in 10 mph-ish winds. I'm already on a 5.8 when a "normal" sail would probably be 7.5 or bigger - going smaller than 5.8 would mean not even being able to putter into waves anymore. I can't imagine how going from pretty underpowered to really underpowered would help me to plane. I've come to accept it as a fact of life when sailing in SD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: