myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which longboard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arden- Looks like a great regatta. But most of those boards are newer boards, and so have strap positions further forward. On the 80's through early 90s Equipes (and all other longboards of that era that I can think of), the back straps were comically far back. There were 2 sets of BOTH back straps and front straps, plus beating straps. For these boards, the furthest back strap is not useful with contemporary sails, in my experience. Definitely agree, though that you'll be planing in 10-12 with big sail.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Arden- Those are awesome pictures. You guys were JAMMING!
arden

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! We are getting ready for another great season at MOWIND. We have lots of longboarders in our area on Raceboard-type gear and Kona Fleet is growing too. We are hoping to to add SUP (true sup and sailing sup) to our events this year as well.

Let me know if you have any questions on our events or if you want to attend one.

Regards,
Arden
http://www.mowind.org
http://arden-el11.blogspot.com
jlooby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Arden - the phantom and the severne sail looks like a great setup!
What windspeed do you need to plane it on a reach?

Jamie - That Puma Laird board is unreal! Definitely cool looking but 7,000 Eur for a sup board that weighs 37lbs - must have a jet motor in there.
That think certainly looks like it could be an awesome 5-15knot windsurf board - I think you are right and we will see more windsurf boards that look like this.

Joe
adamel111

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlooby - to get back to your original point, a longboard probably doesn't plane any earlier than a formula or the JP SLW. In fact, the JP SLW probably planes a bit quicker (and is definitely faster when it is planing). Planing is basically about surface area, and that is why there has been a trend to wider style boards. However, widestyle boards without a centerboard are pretty limited in sub-planing conditions whereas a longboard is not limited in sub-planing conditions.

If you want the fastest planing board, I would keep the JP SLW. If you also want to sail in sub-planing conditions I would get a longboard. I have found that for my size jumping from a longboard to 145L board works out pretty well.

Adam
adamel111

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Arden's brother. You can see me in the picasa album on the Superlight 2 and a 11.0 (sail number EL111 - actually I just looked at a picture from the album - picture 10 - and the 11.0 still has EL1 on it b/c it was our oldest brothers sail). My board is easy to recognize cause I put orange custom upwind straps on it.

The Sverne 9.5 is very nice - I have got to sail it a little bit. Arden has more experience with it. I have seen other guys who got the 9.5 get a lot faster though!

Adam
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he stat he wanted a board for 5-15mph with long board glide and upwind. D2 video is worthwhile to watch.

earliest planing short board i've ever been on was the *board Apollo. jibed like an extra large FW, planed in a hummingbird fart.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
rlemmens

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert but I did like the rrd was sup I tried at psc. I've also think the sealion looks interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: