myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Puerto Rico
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. The longer the period, the more space between them. Way more water as well so the power or push is much greater in a 17 sec swell than something only 6 sec.

Generally speaking and depending on the spot, I start to get excited when the period becomes 10 sec or more. Not to say I haven't had killer 6 sec period swell sessions but it's definitely a different type of wave sailing.

The longer period swell has usually travelled from somewhere far away whereas the shorter period stuff is generated by wind nearby, typically referred to as windswell or in some cases chop.

Windswell can get quite clean depending on local factors and wind directions,like wrapping around a point, sandbars etc.

Use this link for a clear idea what (predominant) swell direction in relation to wind direction is forecast for the day. When the two directions slightly oppose each other, frontside wavesailing can get really good. Keep in mind a forecast swell direction does not take into consideration how the local break works. ie....a point break or, a reef with ground contours that allows the wave to wrap around.

http://magicseaweed.com/Dunes-Puerto-Rico-Surf-Report/452/

Your homework!

http://sites.google.com/site/learnersguidetowindsurfing/waves
http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/search/label/wave%20priority

Something everyone should see, The Mechanics of Teahupo'o:

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/teahupoo-surf-mechanics_58392/

Last edited by ctwindsurf on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, long period swell are the most organized and the most powerful.
I think a long period hit PR just after Christmas, the day the guy drowned just around the corner from SevenSeas Beach in Fajardo. The break on the way to where the guy drowned was solid clean 8', looking like Ross's Cove in HalfMoonBayCa. Governor's Beach was looking 5' in the sets, but strong currents and too much for me to boogie board as I"m a surfer, not a boggie boarder.
Next trip over, I'll likely bring a couple sets of mast boom sails, and worry about a board over 90 liters once I get there. Veluano is selling a few boards, but have no rigs.
edoremus337

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for the info and links ctws, that helped a lot. Well I went out today at Cerromar beach in dorado and got pounded in the waves. They were some of the biggest I have seen at this beach. I knew it was a little over my abilities but hey, you have to push the limits to get better, right? I mostly stayed in the cove where it was relatively flat and zipped around for a while. I bet Dorado Beach was huge, did anyone have a go at it?
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only visited Dorado once. It was definetely mellower than OceanPark at SanJuan, the shorepound friendlier and the wind more side than side/on, making cleaner conditions. Lotsa metal gating.
There are some beaches like IslaVerde that can get really mellow even when the surf is huge, and the winds still stay pure sideshore.
The only problem is the swimming floats, which nobody seems to inforce. You gotta slow down and slog over the rope where it's submerged, or you risk catching the fin for a catapult.
I'd like to surfsail the right reefs in front of the Governor's house just E of 7SeasBeach. Side with a litle off, clean conditions, 2 right reefs lined up, but a HUGE hike to get in. OK, not huge, but around 1/2 mile.
gk3540

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing PR. This is a topic that should interest anyone living eastern US this time of year. Very difficult to find gear, someone could make some money in the business with the right advertising and equipment. Playa Jobos less than 2 hrs from San Juan, Playa Shacks downwind if you want a more radical set up. Jobos would satisfy many considering 80 degree F water temp and consistent trade wind cross shore wind. No it's not 20 knots but who cares, it's rideable and windy enough and it's beautiful. BUT WHERE IS THE GEAR? i saw this thread the last 2 winters and Zirtaeb is trail-blazing but no one can find gear. Velauno, ?donde esta usted? Please set up a business out near Jobos/Aguadilla/Shacks/Rincon..Non stop flights from nearly every major city in the eastern US to San Juan and an int'l airport in Aguadilla if the demand was there. We might go 2-3 times a winter if the gear was there. All you guys dealing with the cold temps in Horseneck right now, wouldn't you get on a non stop to Aguadilla (or more likely San Juan, unless this opportunity opens up more) if the equipment was there?
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liken PR to the winds of Oahu. Usually 12-20, not 16-25.
Outside reefs exist everywhere along the N shore, and wave sailing can be found right off SanJuan, and almost any beach E or W.
Emp at Veluano says they rented WS gear 3 times total in 2011. That's why they sold all their rigs. Guy in RioGrande seems focused only on beginners.
E end of OceanPark is a condo which stores more than 25 complete rigs, all belonging to condo owners there. But nothing for the public.
Next trip, might be easiest to bring multiple mast boom and sails, fins and bases, and buy a board somewhere (Veluano is selling some boards).
Shipping rates from W coast to SanJuan right at 500 bucks.
edoremus337

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or fly jetblue:
"One windsurfing board with an aluminum (or similar type material) wishbone style boom, one mast with a maximum length of 15 feet, one sail. Items weighing more than one hundred pounds (100 lbs) will not be accepted as checked baggage. Windsurfing equipment is accepted for a fee of $50 each way and will count as one of your checked bags"

-http://help.jetblue.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/webisapi.dll?New,Kb=askBlue,case=obj(2236)#s20

Stuff a board bag with as much gear as you can and keep it under 100lbs (which shouldn't be hard to do) and you should be good to go. I brought a board back from PR a few months ago and it was free. I guess there was some special promo that I was unaware of. I didnt complain!
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
This summer, will have to check out JetBlue, if they fly out of Oakland or SanFrancisco. It'd be worth some extra $$$ for the tickets, if they charge so little for under 100 lbs windsurf gear. I can stuff two boards, 4 sails, and a couple of masts and booms for under 100 lbs.
My problem is with additional age and injury, that I can't carry it to the terminal without a fork lift.... Cool
gk3540

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great info here Eric and Lee D. We just got a non stop Jet Blue to San Juan from here in Jacksonville, FL. I hope they keep that baggage allowance; that is really helpful, since gear so hard to rent there...
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you catch it ON....
Sensors say it is.
Airport is back away from the beaches.
Our 3 weeks, at least 17 days with kiters having fun on about 10's, meaning maybe 12-20mph winds.
Watch out for the swimming buoys, you can ride over them with wave fins.
Seems there is very little regulation, although the beach police patrol is doing their thing every hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: