myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Yet another winter Board conversion project TABOU Rocket
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking what advantage is the tri fin is over the single ? think so

if its 20 this board is in the van, probably 96L maybe 88L.

The fin layout on this was designed to decrease fin length, its width, and bottom shape make it a freeride, it won't behave like a wave or FSW board.

It will be looser than the long single fin, it will give away some early planing with the additional drag, but perhaps be better upwind.

So the single will plane sooner, the tri will feel planted/firm more to the water in turns, toss up on straight line stability, tri is better upwind,
depending on size fins the tri can be loose in turns, so quick snappy or long and drawn out, maintaining speed.

If the tri fins are shorter then in Avon you can start to sail sooner in the shallow water, therefore start to plane sooner than a long single, in distance.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

typically, upwind and early planing come from the same benefit of best lift to drag. lots of drag from tons of surface area may provide more of a feeling of upwind ability, but if one is going slower than snot, i'd rather not.

lots of depth in the pond on the other side of the barrier island. lots of creative ways to avoid the shore pound too. the tabou, with its huge double concave so far aft, is not an early planer. putting tri-fins on it just seems all together wrong for my tastes in boards. but, i tend to keep the pedal to the metal, and seek control thru attacking angles or board trim. control from slowing board speed leads to slammage. seen it over and over....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
typically, upwind and early planing come from the same benefit of best lift to drag. lots of drag from tons of surface area may provide more of a feeling of upwind ability, but if one is going slower than snot, i'd rather not.

lots of depth in the pond on the other side of the barrier island. lots of creative ways to avoid the shore pound too. the tabou, with its huge double concave so far aft, is not an early planer. putting tri-fins on it just seems all together wrong for my tastes in boards. but, i tend to keep the pedal to the metal, and seek control thru attacking angles or board trim. control from slowing board speed leads to slammage. seen it over and over....

their are benefits to being upwind, even slowly. You have never liked the Tabou Rockets, but at least you are consistent in your thinking.

since you have figured out how to sail my , its over 10miles long, so it is a lake not a pond, I won't bother to explain , why I want shorter fins.

It may very well not prove to be the best solution, adding side bites, but it is a solution.

Last edited by U2U2U2 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the idea of more control and sailing a bit slower. I sail alot on Lake Erie. Very shallow lake famous waves bunched together. Typiclly a 15-20knt sw will kick up 3-4ft steep faced waves with failrly smooth water saling along thr trough of the wave.

I had Ted James build me "a fat guys" wave board. 9"4" 263/8 wide about 135ltrs. It followed his classic 8"6" wave board outline.

I can back off the power and it keeps planning, makes for fun playing on the waves with out constantly gettting big air. I need to get through a big bay with lots of holes in the wind to get to the wind line. It often would take 4-5 water starts to get to the wind on other boards.

In gusty conditions, I'll choose more volume,smaller fin,smaller sail to get the best over all compromise.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

promoting slow motion sailing gear adds to the sport how? i guess waves, nc sound side is your favorite spot? what about oregon inlet? aren't there spots just to the lee of this, or that sandbar probably just as flat and easy to sail as the sound? wouldn't that allow for a more traditional solution that would apply to east coast conditions?

there are formula folks around the world that don't have an estuary to sail in, and have to sail off the beach. they figure out ways to avoid the shore pound. ocean sailing, even without the surf, has always been more interesting to me. what about lots of others that seem to gravitate to estuaries? the shallowness of the sound annoyed the crap out of me....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be 60 next summer, there can be long chunks of time between sailing sessions, I have a fair number of boards and as I've gotten older as a function of wide range of phycisal condition I pick the gear that fits the day.

I blew my knee out, a few years ago, bone doc, said the other wasn't far behind, told me if I didn't push it hard may not blow for a long time. The 1st one blew 2mi out in the sound, long body drag back in.....In my case a bit of slow motion is OK!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
promoting slow motion sailing gear adds to the sport how? i guess waves, nc sound side is your favorite spot? what about oregon inlet? aren't there spots just to the lee of this, or that sandbar probably just as flat and easy to sail as the sound? wouldn't that allow for a more traditional solution that would apply to east coast conditions?

there are formula folks around the world that don't have an estuary to sail in, and have to sail off the beach. they figure out ways to avoid the shore pound. ocean sailing, even without the surf, has always been more interesting to me. what about lots of others that seem to gravitate to estuaries? the shallowness of the sound annoyed the crap out of me....

John

taking a deep breath now......... I like the sound, favorite spot, nah, it would probably be Rio Vista or Hood River, depends which I sailed last, and the lake in Maine is probably my home sailing spot. Sorry you are annoyed with the condition in Hatteras.

you have missed most of the point of this conversion, and expound the sailing abilities of yourself and formula folks, sorry my abilities aren't up to your level. I have never cared HOW fast I went, planing would make me happy.

I don't need this board AT all for OBX, its where I intend to test it, could just a well be Corpus Christi.

so far as promoting slo motion gear.. WTF is that about ?

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDawg wrote:
I get the idea of more control and sailing a bit slower. I sail alot on Lake Erie. Very shallow lake famous waves bunched together. Typiclly a 15-20knt sw will kick up 3-4ft steep faced waves with failrly smooth water saling along thr trough of the wave.

I will be driving from Colorado to Maine in late July, I go right along Lake Erie, into NY .

I had some thoughts of a little break around there for some sailing, maybe in Chautauqua if not Erie.

Sure would like the locals tour of Presque Isle or a close spot ??

The Rocket will be in the van, along with mostly largeer boards, perhaps the Witchcraft Chakra tri fin.

SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey u2,

Keep in touch or pm me your #. My summer place is near Dunkirk,NY about 45mi E. of Erie,PA if I'm there plan on a visit n' sail weather permiting.

We may be crossing paths taking a real hard look at a move West. Idaho, Oregon, Washington. Plan on the sunny side of the mountain.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how it goes. I've got the 125 Ltr Rocket. I like the board, it goes fast, controlled and is my lighter wind alternative.

I've been having trouble with jybing it though (seems to stall out) and am wondering if the 46cm stock fin that came with it is hindering the jybing.

I'm sure it also involves user error on my part as the board is known to be a good jyber. I just seem to be doing better with my smaller boards.

Let me know how the tri fin impacts jybing. Good luck and it looks really sweet!

DC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: