myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Large wave board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laci

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question for eghoffman; how is your Widepoint at planing? I am also riding an 8'10 Widepoint, but mine is a custom, made for me by Art at North Pacific. I had him adjust the rocker so that it is flatter under the straps to promote better planing. It still has nose and tail rocker, so manueverability on the wave is not compromised (maybe a pro could detect some difference but I can't) but I can definitely feel the difference when there is enough wind to plane up. It still doesn't feel like a full on windsurf board, but it is useable. I use it with a 6.3 Ezzy Wave. The problem is swapping out the fins, ( I SUP it as a quad but for sailing it is better as a single fin) and mounting the straps is a major pain in the ass.

Of course, for the last few months it has been SUP only here in north LA.
eghoffman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 8'10" doesn't plane so well. It'll "plane up" on a wave, but definitely not on the way out. I ride it 2+1, though, which probably adds a lot of drag, and don't use straps on it, so part of the issue is probably my preferences. San Diego is so light most of the time that planing's not much of a consideration, anyway. The rails are pretty soft and there's a lot of rocker, so it's definitely not as optimized for planing as a board like a Sea Lion would be. I also ride it with a 5.8, so it's not like I ever really even expect to get it on plane. I tried riding it as a quad, but it had no lateral stability sailing and even paddling felt like I had too much yaw - I was switching sides every couple of strokes.

Tyler - I could uphaul it too when I weighed as little as you do! Wink Put some meat on those bones and it becomes a lot more work to uphaul in the waves!

WaitininSD - PM me if you want to try out the WidePoint or a 9'8" Element. They won't ride like a shortboard, but you'll get plenty of days on them. I'm only about a mile from the beach.
mrkhm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sailing Tourmoline for years using a 9' 4" 125 liter Bic Astro Rock. I use a 8.0 super freak from Hot Sails Maui most days. With a 14.5 inch weed fin. I can get up to the point for the waves. The fin will go over small patches of kelp but still turns nice on a wave. Uphauling is necessary to take advantage of the light winds here.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waitinSD wrote:
Uphauling the 105 is my biggest concern. Waiting for puffs to waterstart can lead to a lot of drifting, no huge deal at Tourmo, but can be a bit stressful. Think I’ll try to uphaul the 105 before doing Tourmo.

At 170 pounds you should be able to uphaul your Exocet 105 L. I weigh 190 now but even when I weighed 200 pounds I could uphaul my Exo-wave 105.

There are a couple of local sailors here in LA who are very profficient at slogging, Steven Bard being one of them. I've seen Steve slogging and riding when I am out paddling on my SUP convinced there is not enought wind to sail. Another sailor Austin weighs about your weight and slogs with a 5.6 and 95 L board when I'm still convinced there is not enough wind to switch from paddling my SUP to sailing, and he catches plenty of amazing waves.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrkhm, so what kind of wind range are you sailing in with that combo?
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AHD Sealion looks really interesting. I saw this video on the Hot Sails Maui forum, first 14 minutes is pretty boring (SUP paddle race and SUP sail round the bouys race), but check the wavesailing between 14 minutes and 17 minutes in. The sailor at 15:18-15:35 really impressed me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSVvRwHCrzo&feature=player_embedded
benpfree1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in the SeaLion, check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkXGYDT-vhM&feature=related

I've been really tempted to get one of these myself.
D-wo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone who can comment on the Angulo Creola? I think it is 102L. I am 210 pounds and like to sail at Jalama, Waddell, Arroyo when there is surf, and OR coast when I can.

I already have an Exocet Cross 118 that works well for local days and at those spots above when it isn't too windy. Of course it doesn't bottom turn well in Side Off conditions. I also have a small custom board that I sailed at Pistol and Florence when I used to live up that way (or least spent time). What I am saying is that I need something in between, floaty enough to get me out in medium winds but also bottom turmable

The JP Freestyle Wave 102 might also be an option, but I found a used Creola...hence the question.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

waitinSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good perspectives here.
Now I remember why I gave up sailing in SD years ago. SUP has been my savior.
But I may have found a solution to the WS dilemma.
I’m picking up a friend’s long stored old HiFly twin- fin approx. 118l that he describes more b&j than surf. But his is a pure surfer’s point of view. I’m more worried about up-hauling.
Anybody know anything about this board?
damel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 102L JP Freestyle Wave Pro Edition board that I am considering selling. It is either a '07 or '08 model, I can find out if you are interested. The paint is scratched up a bit on the rails but the board is dry and light, the only reason I am considering getting rid of it is to get a freestyle specific board. I live in San Fran and would be looking to sell it for $600-$700 depending on what fins you want with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: