myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Large wave board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: LARGE WAVE BOARD Reply with quote

have a L6 prototype the MZ called his 'wave formula board', might be a bit too wide for you as it is 100cm in the middle, but cuts thru chop & 3ft wave really well in SF bay, would plane up in 10-12kts. if your in Bay Area, and want to try it out send me a note. it is designed like a race board with a lot of rocker but is tail heavy so it slashes pretty good - probably too fragile for ocean waves....just a thought
loopless

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of fins, you are right the classic raked weed fins are a disaster on a wave board as they hang off the back.

The fin that everyone uses at Tourmo are the True Ames "Surf Grass" in 10.5"+. Good up to 5.8 conditions, if windier you need to switch down.

Re boards, I had an Exocet original wave, they were ( and are still!) good , but the JP FSW turns better on a wave, yet planes off as well. A friend has a Angulo Sumo , that's a good big guy board.

The goal is not to plane in 10-14, but be able to slog upwind, and pump onto a wave. When windier, the goal is to not get mowed down by kiters....
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you guys are getting some wind and surf today. Post up tonight if you got in the water.
MrFish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Board Aero 117 or 127 if you can find one...
eghoffman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of the guys who goes out when it's not even windy enough to get Andrew interested, I advocate a sailable SUP with a smaller sail. I primarily sail a Starboard 8'10" WidePoint with a 5.8 HSM SuperFreak. It's definitely not the fastest board on the water when the wind picks up or going down the line or the most manueverable, but it's uphaulable (the single most important thing for Tourmaline, in my view), I get plenty of rides and I don't think that I've ever felt overpowered on it. I had an Aero 117 for a while, but I think that any board that needs to be waterstarted is at a big disadvantage at Tourmo. The wind's just too fluky. I get plenty of days on my set-up, even when there's a little bit of size and even when the kiters have gone in due to lack of wind.

On the other hand, if anyone's interested in an almost new Starboard Quad 86, mine's just in the garage collecting dust - I'd be happy to cut a fair deal for it. Not many opportunities to use it in SD.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who and when was this photo taken? It is supposed to be Tourmo. 2010? We get big surf here in Malibu, but rarely anything like this.

Tourma011410.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.77 KB
 Viewed:  14770 Time(s)

Tourma011410.jpg

JamesHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Who and when was this photo taken? It is supposed to be Tourmo. 2010? We get big surf here in Malibu, but rarely anything like this.

Running the risk of repeating myself but, the first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club, the second rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club!
So here I go for the record, that is not a picture of Jimmy sailing Tourmo anytime in 2010 end of story!
OK, can we now go back to talking about 15 inch pointer fins and adjustable out-hauls? Rolling Eyes
tyler4bu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eghoffman wrote:
As one of the guys who goes out when it's not even windy enough to get Andrew interested, I advocate a sailable SUP with a smaller sail. I primarily sail a Starboard 8'10" WidePoint with a 5.8 HSM SuperFreak. It's definitely not the fastest board on the water when the wind picks up or going down the line or the most manueverable, but it's uphaulable (the single most important thing for Tourmaline, in my view), I get plenty of rides and I don't think that I've ever felt overpowered on it. I had an Aero 117 for a while, but I think that any board that needs to be waterstarted is at a big disadvantage at Tourmo. The wind's just too fluky. I get plenty of days on my set-up, even when there's a little bit of size and even when the kiters have gone in due to lack of wind.

On the other hand, if anyone's interested in an almost new Starboard Quad 86, mine's just in the garage collecting dust - I'd be happy to cut a fair deal for it. Not many opportunities to use it in SD.

Who says the aero 117 has to be waterstarted? I have no problem uphauling it, but then again, I suck at light wind waterstarts
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ahd-boards.com/models/sealion-pro

that's my solution for light wind waves sailing since they have now 3 sizes it comes in handy for most light wind waves areas. The new pro model has pretty aggressive rails to carve. check out the videos some great action and a tutorial how to use and make most out of the board.

aloha

Jurg
waitinSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uphauling the 105 is my biggest concern. Waiting for puffs to waterstart can lead to a lot of drifting, no huge deal at Tourmo, but can be a bit stressful. Think I’ll try to uphaul the 105 before doing Tourmo.
Is it just me or has Andrew and James (if that’s really their names) cryptically and stealthily avoided forecast suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: