myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Large wave board?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waitinSD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Large wave board? Reply with quote

Any suggestions for 118+ liter wave board.
About the time I get blown off my SUP at Tourmaline, I see sailors (max 3 vs. dozens of them greasy kiters) catching waves. According to IW it's blpwin 10-12kts????
Gotta be big-ass boards.
I already have a beloved 6.9 Panther II. Currently my largest wave board is 105l. More board might work. So what do you guys suggest 118+?
Couple more things, gotta be powerbox- I’m the proud owner of a big Curtis wave/weed fin with PB base.
Won’t be buying new board so recent (maybe even older) rather than 2012 models please.
Thanks
carl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean "blown off my SUP,,,,in 10-12Kts"

Does your SUP have a mast track? and 10-12K is too windy? At most places, that's barely planing wind. Have you measured it with a meter?
What size sail were you using?

If you're OPed sailing a SUP, it would seem a 118L would be too big also.
They don't make wave boards that big. Freeride or large FSW will work in small waves, use a swept fin. I hear from a larger guy in Maui that the 115L Tabou works good in waves.

It might help to know how much you weigh, although you're probably on the 220lbs+ side, asking about 118L+.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just use a smaller sail on your sup. You really just need a board sAil combo that keeps you schlogging to catch a wave. You may alreAdy have everything you need to have fun and progress.
loopless

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those 3 sailors out the there slogging around in 10-12mph so here is my feedback. After sailing 14 years at Tourmaline, I've been through a lot of gear looking for the "perfect" Tourmaline wave board, and I feel I've finally got it.

I (165lbs) use a Ezzy 6.3 Wave Panther 2012 Limited on a 102L JP FSW. With that setup, and if the waves are 4-5ft, it's possible to pump into an outside swell in 10-12 and then of course once on the swell you are fully planing ( and alone as all the kiters are sitting on the beach...)

That 6.3 is awesome, light and powerful, Ezzy nailed it this time. I used to use an Ezzy WP III 6.9, but the 6.9 was a bit ungainly on the (short)JP.

The JP FSW gets up and planes, but can still snap off the bottom. The FSW come in 102L and 112L. I would think the 102L works for guys up to 170, and the 112 I am guessing would work up to maybe 190-200.
Some of the big RRD FSW's might work, but for a couple of years they were too oriented towards flat-water, not waves and could not bottom-turn to save their life. I had to return one I bought.

PS If you don't know the setup at Tourmaline, it's a long rolling wave that can be really good DTL wave sailing ( when there is wind....). The prevailing NW is side-on, and in winter, almost side-off. The get out is easy and it can be sailed 'big' in light winds , I've sailed solid 8ft in 12-14.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your weight and what kind of a wave board is your current 105L? I have two 105 L wave boards, one only works with a solid 20 mph, the other works in 14 mph.
waitinSD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andrew
Thanks for the succinct feedback.
Thought that might be you. Red sail?
Looks like my current rig (105Excocet Original Wave + 6.3 SE and 6.9 WPII) might work. Coming in at 170# I have schlogged it plenty, but that 10-12 got my attention.
Definately not at your skill level...but that type of thing has never stopped me before.
Will a 9.75” Enduro catch a lot of stuff? Seasonal?
How do you suggest monitoring the forecast? I still have a subscription here.
Hey, you may be seeing me out there sometime soon… and I can promise you it won’t be a pretty site.
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with andrewc. I had the 102 and it was super light and had an agressive early planing shape making it fun in the side on conditions I often see. I am the same weight 165 and with a cuben fiber 5.5 (super light weight and tons of low end) I was able to schlog/sail on the 10-14 mph days.
benpfree1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend an Exocet Exowave 105. It is about the best big wave board ever made, if you can still get your hands on one. Check out surfingsports.com and there are lots of pictures of guys ripping on that board. I've got one myself that I'd never sell.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the exo wave 105. It's the best! I also have an exocet cross 118. I'm a very big guy, and it's difficult to use in the surf, but for a guy my size comes in handy on the 12-14 mph days when the swell is bigger. I don't think a 165 lb guy would be able to turn it well enough to make it fun. There are a bunch of 2012 boards that look like they're going to be good. They Goya freewave 116 looks interesting. Simmer 105 liter also looks good. I saw it on Maui last week.

I envy you guys at Tourmaline. It takes true dedication to our sport to go out there, but when the surf is good, man it's the best.
waitinSD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for good info.
I believe my 105 Original Wave2 is the predecessor to the Exo Wave. Loved those Exo’s but had warranty issues with distributer on 2 boards and vowed to never buy another new one. At some point I sold my original OW 105 and immediately regretted it. Last year saw an advert for one and bought it. Still love it. Prolly the Exo Wave is even better but OW should be pretty close. Regardless, that is what I got and based on Andrew’s and others’ comments it should work in those incredibly low winds, skills-set notwithstanding.
While surfing my SUP I’m on 4.5” 2+1. Therefore weeds (Cardiff, Tourmaline) no problemo. Currently have 9.75” True Ames Enduro w US base. I won’t use a weed fin--hate em. What are you guys using?
You guys gotta be watching forecasts to catch it. Any suggestions to improve odds… on the other hand if it isn’t blowin (the norm) I can still sweep. That’s why I got into SUPs in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: