myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Religion aside, what's the big beef against gay marriage?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Religion aside, what's the big beef against gay marriage? Reply with quote

IOW, how does a marriage between Bill and Joe or between Jane and Betty hurt anyone else? What am I missing? (Raising kids in a gay marriage is a whole separate issue I know even less about.) The strongest non-religious argument I've heard against it is that it "diminishes" normal marriages, and I consider that a pretty weak argument for several reasons.

"They can achieve the same legal rights via well-designed civil unions"? Sure, but they "WANNA" get married.

OTOH, "Wanna" and "are entitled to" are almost unrelated.

"But a church shouldn't be required to bless a union it forbids."
Of course not, but the ceremony and benefits can be bestowed by a judge instead of a church.

"But I wanna get married in and by a church". Great; go find a willing church, but you surely as hell don't have the right to dictate church policy.

"That's discrimination!" That's what churches and religions do. Get over it, find or establish a church you like, or go see a judge.

"My gay marriage rights are more important than national security, the economy, and everyone else's individual freedoms." No, they are not. Get over yourself.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not missing anything. The hype about gay marriage and the Republican candidates opposition to it is nothing more than a method to fire up the religious zealots. Simply...politics.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is religious bigotry, cool. even in the animal kingdom, it is abhorred. where do you draw the line, can a man merry his son? there is no biological reason he shouldn't be able to. Love the sinner, hate the sin. if warren buffet marries his son can't he get him all his money with no estate tax?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. I have preconceived opinions of people based on their fundamentalist religious beliefs. I wonder if any of the politicians do the same?
windoggi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
merry his son

Every father wants his son to be merry...how is that wrong?

pueno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
merry his son

Every father wants his son to be merry...how is that wrong?

Relax. You're instructing an audience that's incapable of appreciating the idiocy of what it said. That audience should drop the keyboard and merry itself.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding Pueno. Laughing
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to text doesn't spell well. Keyboard was dropped, I can now merry myself. I now pronounce you guys my wives er husbands.

This is a serious question because legally it opens the door to bigomy, nambla, animal marriage. etceterra. Since there is no God, who sets the standards? Society? That is a moving target. Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 year old cousin and got away with it. Peta wants animals to have human rights. Why can't a man marry his adult son or his dog? God? Biology? In the atheist utopia, there is no moral or biological reason that this would be wrong. So...who decides where we draw the line? Central planning?
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking lessons from Rick Santorum?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa there, guys. I said gay marriage, not a snake simultaneously marrying a puppy, two mentally deficient apricots, and a congressman.

As for stirring it up ... every source is guilty of that. Bible thumpers, pols on both sides (Shut UP, Santorum!), news anchors and commentators (the biggest round of booing in all 437 Republican debates was at Stephanopolis for inventing and ramming some imagined contraceptive ban down Romney's throat last Saturday), gay rights zealots who consider their marriages more important than national security and the economy, and even this thread if it turns nasty rather than academic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: