myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Newb gear question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at it this way soccerguy, there isn't a person on this thread that would consider buying any of this stuff. The masts are crap, the universal joints and fins and booms are crap, the sails are in good shape but were designed to work with the old crappy masts, so new masts would be a waste, and then you would have two old tippy boards.

I'm with Westender. You couldn't give them away at a swap meet.

KMF
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in the not worth it camp, I learned a year ago on similar stuff and the frustration of it nearly made me quit. For $600 you could get a much better setup with a nice wide board. Unless youre in a windsurfing black hole and cant find much else, then pass (and even then $300 tops)
itsglobalbackerz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great adventure.. May i will do surfing this holidays !!!!!
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, clearly there's a load of negativity being offered about the featured kit. To be frank, after over 25 years in the sport, and given the quiver of stuff that I now have, I wouldn't touch this stuff with a 10 foot pole. But in my earlier opinion, I was viewing the featured package from the standpoint of soccerguy83's perspective. I started windsurfing in the mid-80s on very similar stuff, but it was only one board and a single sail. I had no problem at all feeling the stoke and advancing in the sport.

If one was to consider the latest modern gear, the cost to enter the sport would be huge. For someone considering whether windsurfing fits their lifestyle, practicality must be the guideline. The featured package definitely provides a huge opportunity in that arena.

Overall, I will say this. If you can't start and make a go of it with the featured package, windsurfing isn't in your future.
soccerguy83

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, only one night and already so many replies! First of, thank you all for your time and input, I have been a member on many other forums, non-WS related, and never had this kind of welcome with the first post! There is a lot of good info and opinion here. I can also see that there is a great deal of on the water time with some of the members!

Seems like it’s about a 70:30 split of wouldn’t touch that stuff, with it may be ok for the initial jump into the sport but ya may be better off with something else. Well I’m in no rush at all to buy as it’s been something that’s been in the back of my head for a while now. And I surely won’t be sailing until it warms up some, I typically don’t start surfing until April anyway! I’m by no means in a black hole for gear; I’m only 4.5 hours from Canadian Hole. Granted right now there isn’t much on Craigslist or any other online site around here but that’s to be expected a few days before Christmas! People have other things on their mind aside from selling gear online haha.

As I have time and this set prob isn’t gonna be going anywhere for the time being, been on there for over two months already, I think I might let it simmer for a bit and see if I can find any setups that would be more suited to last me longer than my initial learning, while still not being super expensive.

Once again thank you everyone!
westender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be funny to see that worthless pile of equipment at a beach when the wind came up if you had some wind junkies sitting around who had left all their gear at home.
thombiz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check in with these organizations. They may have members with gear to sell and they may be able to help you learn the ropes:
http://www.windsurfbaba.org/
http://www.triangleboardsailing.com/
http://www.sailwet.com/Nabout.htm
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interestingly enough, the perspectives bad and good are very likely split by geography. those with tons of wind, and windsurfing gear available will state the package is junk. those that live far away from such wonderful venues tend to think not such bad thoughts? shipping any gear over longer distances can be quite expensive.

if the universal joints are sound and the decks are not slippery, then it's a lot of stuff to flail about on until the basics are behind you. plus, the relative tippyness and dated performance may make one appreciate the value of more current gear once one is ready to shop for higher performance stuff? i learned on a very tippy board in the early 1980's. i swear it's made me a better sailor all along with ever better stuff as my windsurfing continues today.

a really good investment would be the tricktionary. it's ad is on my iwindy page right now. soup to nuts, all you may need to know about the sport.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
tyler4bu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

Overall, I will say this. If you can't start and make a go of it with the featured package, windsurfing isn't in your future.

I disagree, I attempted learning on a similar package, spent way too much time wondering what I was doing wrong, was getting frustrated because tacking and gybing was far too difficult.. Then I upgraded to a modern wide board and could instantly plane and tack, and obviously tacking allowed me to not be constantly uphauling thus allowing me to spend far more time on the water actually windsurfing before fatigue set in.. If you want to struggle slogging back and forth, go for that gear, if you want to learn to windsurf, get something that will actually plane easily.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just beginning you want a wide board with lotsa volume. I owned the Samba for a few years and loved it. However, I could uphaul and sail upwind when I sailed with it. It was my second board. As douglas stated, you won't be using it at first. I don't know much about the Lambada or you and your girlfriend. If she's pretty put a picture up, I might be interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: