myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WHERE TO SAIL IN OCAN CITY MD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fernandes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: WHERE TO SAIL IN OCAN CITY MD Reply with quote

HEADING TO OCEAN CITY MD. WHERE IS THE BEST LOCATION FOR THE WEST WIND THAT WE ARE EXPECTING 2MORO? THANX
mlestina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Launches in and around Ocean City, MD Reply with quote

Fernandes, consult the Windsurfresource.com launch finder for info regarding launches in that area. Click on 2. Outer Delmarva Launches and then on the West direction on the compass rose, and only those launches suitable for a west wind are illustrated (hyperlinks in bold color).

Or simply click here.

You have 48th St Watersports behind the Princess Bayside Hotel, but 48th St Watersports business is probably closed for the season right now, but check with the Hotel to make sure that they do not mind you accessing the launch.

About 20 miles up (i.e., North) on the Coastal Rd is the Dewey Beach launch in Delaware which is really good in a West wind. Also are Assateague within the park, Isle of Wight and Fenwick Island S.P., all of which are good for West winds.

48th St Launch and Dewey are beginner friendly in that the water is somewhat shallow way out. I never sailed personally at 48th St, but have many times at Dewey. When at Dewey, try to stay out of the way of the Kiters and their piano wires.

Matt Lestina
(Mr. Windsurf Resource)
fernandes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I have sailed Dewey in the past and am hoping to find a location more suitable for advanced/expert sailing wih good chop or waves . Will check out 48th.
fernandes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
Thanx a bunch, the info you gave was great and now I have choices. Looks like Isle of Wight may work just fine for a bump and jump session and it is only 2 miles from Ocean City.
mlestina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Isle of Wight Reply with quote

Fernandes, just be sure to wear your booties. There are shards of glass etc visible (see photo in my launch description) . Otherwise, it is OK. Never sailed there before, but I met others who sail there. Unlike Dewey Beach and 48th st, the water may be deep just off from the launch at Isle of Wight, but if you are more advanced of a windsurfer, that should not matter much.

Matt
chipny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: also check in delmarva sports Reply with quote

they are super friendly and will most likely be sailing when you are.
matts sight is great, i've used it a lot - thanks matt! - but local sailors input helps too. they will let you know where they are going to be those days and then you dont sail alone!

http://www.delmarvaboardsportadventures.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: