myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What to do about drugs and druggies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but they sure help. Wink
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As does the lure of forty virgins! Rolling Eyes
mac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coboardhead said: "Guns don't cause suicide."

No, suicide is a symptom of depression--but often it is spurred by feelings that pass. When I looked into claims by proponents of guns that guns help avoid crimes I found there was some truth to the claim. I would expect that there is a very strong difference between urban and rural realities here, made more dramatic by our current political debating style. But the surprising thing that I learned is that far more legally obtained guns are used in committing suicide than in combating crime. Somthing to think about. The studies were actually posted here some time ago.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prescription drugs are rampant! Go to any Walgreen's and check out the line. Totally healthy people getting their "legal" meds.

Zanax, Ambien, Valuim, etc. etc are being prescribed daily for everything. These drugs are all highly addictive and this nation cannot get enough of them.

With so much money pouring in to politicians from the pharmaceutical companies, why would the Government allow the competition of legalizing pot?

Let's face it, our Government is dysfunctional. I don't believe they can do anything right. Now MF Global, John Corzine's firm, is short $600 Million of investor funds while supposedly being closely watched by the SEC and other Government agencies. Will anyone go to jail? No, but the nickle bag dealer sure will. No matter what it costs to send him there.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote

Quote:
No, suicide is a symptom of depression--but often it is spurred by feelings that pass. When I looked into claims by proponents of guns that guns help avoid crimes I found there was some truth to the claim. I would expect that there is a very strong difference between urban and rural realities here, made more dramatic by our current political debating style. But the surprising thing that I learned is that far more legally obtained guns are used in committing suicide than in combating crime. Somthing to think about. The studies were actually posted here some time ago.

We really don't know how much guns do to combat crime because the knowledge that a home is potentially armed may deter the crime to begin with. There is no question that success at suicide is aided using a gun, especially with young males. What is not entirely clear from studies I have read, is whether the suicide is ultimately achieved using other means if a gun is not available. I have read studies that show how limiting access to shotguns in England did little to lower overall suicide rates, but did reduce gun assisted suicides.

And, I do agree that a rural perspective regarding firearms will likely be different than an urban view, since guns are used for hunting and recreation here. You see guns as a part of crime...we see guns as a part of western life.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say Coboard, the suicide rate over here seems to bear no relation to the availability, or otherwise, of guns. As Mac said, in the depths of depression when overwhelmed by life, a person will act impulsively. In such cases I doubt that having a gun to hand (certain death) would deter them from carrying it through, as some claim.

Two recent cases: 1) A man, clearly at the end of his tether, just stepped off a station platform in front of a train. A horrible thing, and far worse than using a gun. 2) A motor cyclist gunned his bike off the side of the road and over a 300 foot cliff. He landed in a tree at the lower slopes, and after a lengthy stay in hospital actually survived. Under questioning later, he confirmed that he had been brooding over his state of despair and, faced with the cliff ( a way out) had been unable to stop his sudden impulse to hurl himself and bike off it.

It seems that to people who have reached such a state of despair, and need to put an end to it all (not a cry for help) will just do so, whatever the means at hand.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT wrote

Quote:
It seems that to people who have reached such a state of despair, and need to put an end to it all (not a cry for help) will just do so, whatever the means at hand.

Sadly, true. As a result of my wife's work, I get a lot of grim details on suicides (by lots of methods).

Anyone know if suicide risk increases with marijuana use? With a good buzz, I am guessing you would not be as good a shot!
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Anyone know if suicide risk increases with marijuana use? With a good buzz, I am guessing you would not be as good a shot!"

You must be joking, right? With some of the comments here, I'm convinced that the contrived themes of 'Reefer Madness' continue to live on and on.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being a bit sarcastic on the buzz comment. But, I am asking a serious question about drug use...including pot. This thread is talking about the merits of legalizing pot. It is a fair question on health risks of pot. Does long term use of pot increase suicide risk? Alcohol abuse does and that's legal.

As I wrote earlier, I am for a grow you own legalization of pot. But, I. Would like to know all that entails.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pot makes habitual users more peaceful and less energetic in most cases.Tend to doze away the days. This has a positive effect in India where underemployment is centuries old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: