myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What to do about drugs and druggies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result of studies (Britain) into the long term effect of Cannabis (Marijuana) usage, often published as a warning by the government:

Cannabis can cause long term changes to the mind, often leading to problems such as paranoia. It is NOT a safe drug!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All forms of marijuana are mind-altering (psychoactive). In other words, they change how the brain works. A lot of other chemicals are found in marijuana, too — about 400 of them, some of which are carcinogenic. Marijuana is addictive with more teens in treatment with a primary diagnosis of marijuana dependence than for all other illicit drugs combined.

Using marijuana can also lead to disturbed perceptions and thoughts, and marijuana use can worsen psychotic symptoms in people who have schizophrenia.

Additionally, there are higher rates of depression, anxiety, and suicidal thinking among people who use marijuana when compared to people who don't use. Teens who started using marijuana before age 15 are more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression in early adulthood. A new study shows that smoking marijuana is associated with a 40% increase risk of psychosis, and the risk is greater among regular and frequent users.

from abovetheinfluence.com
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Steven, drinking margaritas and smoking cigars is so much better. Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't tell me some idiot tried to claim marijuana is harmless or safe. Yes, it would explain a lot, but for GOD'S sake surely none of these liberals is THAT blindly uninformed!
Talk about denial!
mac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Isobars ignores the conversation and makes an inappropriate (but nasty) comment. Bard doesn't respond to the thread. Bard--I stopped smoking pot about 30 years ago, before it was as strong as it is now, because of the effects on memory. It is a nasty drug and I would prefer than nobody smokes it. But the war on drugs as currently conceived has failed, has cost the citizens of this country huge amounts of money, and has created the economic conditions for mafias and immense violence in Mexico and Columbia. Do you have any new ideas, or even any ideas at all? Are you aware that both subscription drugs and alcohol have much higher societal costs than marijuana and heroin? Or do facts ever penetrate your belief structure?
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso should smoke pot.. no seriously, he needs it.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,

Good topic. I travel, yearly, to Baja. It frustrates and saddens me that our defeat in the war against drugs is wreaking havoc on our neighbor to the south. I believe, even with the substantial risks in using marijuana, it should be decriminalized. Grow your own for your own personal use.

Living in an area with high use of pot, as I do, I can't imaginine that usage will increase with legalization. Most of us that don't use will continue to abstain for health rather than legal reasons. It seems the resources would be better spent to treat drug abuse than fight this war.

That said, blaming drug abusers is arrogant and lacks empathy. There is something different in the chemistry of alcoholics and drug abusers that us "good guys" do not understand.

I caught a glimpse of the euphoria today after a 4.0 session on a glass board followed by a couple hours on an 8 meter kite. A beer and a glass of wine on the deck watching the sun set...
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, I never said I was for the war on drugs, or any war for that matter. There is a great HBO series called Boardwalk Empire that is about prohibition. Very similar problem, But like I've said, if you stop enforcing drug laws, you need to end welfare as we know it.

Freedom isn't free, and many will have to pay the ultimate price of dying in the gutter, for the freedom to use drugs.

Lindsay Lohan would probably be dead if it weren't for drug laws. (no real loss I suppose) Rolling Eyes
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feelings about legalization of marijuana differ among many, as is represented here. What I find interesting is that many here have such a negative outlook that focuses on extremes. Hopefully though, folks are beginning to understand that the "War of Drugs" is costly BS that is driven by government oppression and a mixed up idea about controlling people. The criminalization game only makes things worse. Sadly, Republicans, and off-the-top religious extremists are predictably at the root of things pushing for prohibition and punishment. At least Libertarians seem to get the picture.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard--welcome back from the land of make it up, however briefly, and finally noticing that there was a difficult topic here with no easy answers. I watched the first season of Boardwalk, and I think the futility of prohibition a desired substance is clear. The vast amount of money involved in selling alcohol during prohibition, cocaine, heroin and marijuana now, virtually guarantees a certain level of violence and corruption. Because violence affects many that I teach, I would love to see it reduced.

Yet that doesn't lead me automatically to the libertarian position I had when I was young. Prohibition did reduce the use of alcohol, and did reduce the medical costs of alcohol abuse. I'm not sure that removing the societal disapproval of drugs in the current drug laws wouldn't increase use, or spawn a secondary market to those underage. I'm not persuaded by either the Dutch or Portugese experiments with decriminalization. Evidence gets spun by people according to their belief structure; some say that use has gone down, some say it has gone up. Without rigid control of supply it is really not possible to tell. In either event, both countries are much smaller and have very different cultures than ours.

I just posted the link because it was interesting and thought provoking. I'll cut and past the article in so others can read the whole thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: