myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
World Population Growth.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allen wrote:
The Catholic Church hurts the BC option as does the GOP's recent attempts to decimate Planned Parenthood.

So you think the solution to overpopulation is PP's primary service: abortion? Man, that's worse than my (slightly) tongue-in-cheek solution above.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
The consolation for us is that you and I will no longer be slashing gybes in 20 years time.

Speak for yourself, Chucklepants; a actuarial 40-question life expectancy estimator says I'll be WSing at 90 and dead at 91, in 23 years.

OK, I made up the WSing part ... and the estimator forgot to ask a couple of vital questions.

Mike \m/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OWS marches will not become a revolution until people are starving. Until then it will just be a bunch of Hippies with Yuppie parents complaining that someone owes them something that they didn't work for or create.

But as 7 billion grows to 8 billion, there will be a time when people will go hungry. There will be violent uprising. Whether it's energy, food, disease, weather, asteroids, tsunamis, earthquake, or atomic blast, there will be a tipping point and the violence will turn to death.

On the other hand we could just drop acid, find a girl, head to a mountain meadow, and drink wine. I kinda dig that thought. Then one last sesh at Hookipa will be like a creamy dreamy Fosters beer and dinner at Mama's. I'm thinking we're all too worried....Anyone in this group who wants to join me at my Maui house is invited in December 2012. But you will be buying dinner at Mama's for me every night you stay there!
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article in the Nation about the impact of trade deficit and the consumer economy that ships money overseas for goods. http://www.thenation.com/article/163673/what-would-keynes-do
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most intelligent economists on the left know that the richest 1% of America don't have enough money in total to pay off the debt.

I heard an interesting statistic on Bill Gates. If the government confiscated his entire fortune, it would only cover 2 days of our deficit.

B of A stock is at $6 and its market cap has fallen by 90%. That means investors believe the banks are holding a bunch of very bad paper. I know this for a fact, because I received a list of B of A assets for sale and they'll probably go for 40 cents on the dollar. We are skating on thin ice.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard made up a position and then assigned it to the left:
Quote:
I think the most intelligent economists on the left know that the richest 1% of America don't have enough money in total to pay off the debt.

Well, the richest 1% have accumulated a disproportionate share of the wealth in this country, and the debate is about increasing their marginal rate of taxation from 35% to 39%. I would also favor increasing capital gains from the current 15% rate, or otherwise discourage gambling with money on questionable loans, as opposed to investing in businesses that make products.

Would that be fair? Well, the richest folks in the country, "those earning an average of $345 million in 2007, paid about 16.5 percent in federal income taxes."http://www.quickanded.com/2010/02/effective-tax-rates-of-the-richest-400-americans.html Turning to the very top, the richest 400 made about $138 billion in 2007, while the bottom 90 percent of Americans, over 24 million filers, earned $247 billion.

Balancing the budget, as noted by Stockman, Reagan's head of the Office of Management and Budget, will take cuts and revenues. But the Republicans perpetuate lies that they know to be untrue. And then their toadies, like bardie, just make stuff up.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem isn't that the rich have too much, but that the middle class don't have enough.

The epa this year alone has added 64,000 pages of new regulations. This makes it virtually impossible to compete with the big boys, who can ship their production off shore to avoid the regulations. If we went back to 2000 regs, would that destroy the planet?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevenbard...

Are you sure those 64,000 pages of regulations are more restrictive than the previous versions of the regulations?

I have been involved in drafting modifications to regulations. Sometimes, the goal is to provide a better guideline rather than hurt industry. Sometimes the new regulation is a reduction in requirements.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

As does anyone who watches real news, listens to TR, reads legitimate newspapers or magazines, even pretends to Google IRS facts, and/or drives farther than 100 miles from San Francisco.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

I heard an interesting statistic on Bill Gates. If the government confiscated his entire fortune, it would only cover 2 days of our deficit.

B of A stock is at $6 and its market cap has fallen by 90%. That means investors believe the banks are holding a bunch of very bad paper. I know this for a fact, because I received a list of B of A assets for sale and they'll probably go for 40 cents on the dollar. We are skating on thin ice.

B of A 's market cap is 67B. It was NEVER remotely close to 650B. The highest B of A ever got was about $210B. Please Bard, stop posting misrepresentations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: