myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How"s that Tea Party thing workin' out for ya?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feuser said:
Quote:
Cain created jobs by cutting his operation by 50%?

You just won't give up!

Any rational business man like Cain had two options when the market for his pizza was in a downward spiral. He could maintain all of his outlets and personnel and hope things get better, or he could cut the unprofitable outlets and staff, come up with a new marketing plan and keep the company in business, providing jobs for at least half of his people, and hoping to rebuild the business back to where it was.

The other option, forge ahead and likely go bankrupt and EVERYONE loses their job.

Too bad our government doesn't operate like a rational business. Total collapse is a real possibility if it doesn't wise up.

When your wheels are falling of, you don't keep driving.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pueno's assessment of Cain and I also like Colin Powell. One question I have about Cain though is would he be his own man or just a puppet of O'Connell and Boehner?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big difference between saving what's left of a business (thereby preserving some jobs) and claiming to be a job creator thereby or moving/creating jobs offshore.

I don't besmirch Cain or Romney for making a buck or two but what I and others find disingenuous and a bit hypocritical is when Romney uses his Bain Capital days as an example of creating jobs. Nothing could be farther from the truth in the meaning that question is asked.

Furthermore, I don't hire and fire based on the marginal tax rate. That's so very short sighted and, frankly, a misdirection. I hire based on profit and growth opportunity. That's it.

A small law firm hired me several years ago because the principal attorney was struggling to do all the work. About 6 months in my job I found myself with far too much new work that continued to flow in due to my marketing and relationships. I humbly approached my boss, told him of my predicament and he responded, "Great! That's not a problem at all. That means we can hire another lawyer and make even more money."

Yes, the amount of taxes we paid went up, but so did the money netted. My personal income tax bracket went up because my personal income increased. And someone calls this a bad situation?? About 10 million people see it the other way.

From an employer's perspective, a few significant financial burdens occur when hiring a full time employee. Health care contribution. Employment tax contribution. Administrative costs associated with every employee regardless of production value, such as HR, training and oversight. The only cost mandated by the Federal government is the payroll tax and any tax based on the employees contribution to a greater bottom line.

But each paycheck to the employee is deductible as a paid wage by the employer and this and other deductions dilute the extra cost of the payroll tax (itself deductible a the state level).

So, all in all, I find quite specious the claim that a marginally higher income tax for companies is the road block to hiring. BS.

pueno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
One question I have about Cain though is would he be his own man or just a puppet of O'Connell and Boehner?

Good question -- but whether Boehner pulls his strings or not, big business certainly does. And Cain's "999" plan is regressive.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn that "999" tax plan upside down and what have you got??

Ohhhh nooooooo Twisted Evil
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While no one yet knows the full implications of the 999 plan, it is at least a fresh look at solving what is currently a nightmare. While no new plan will be an easy sell and many will find fault with any change, I think it's a step in the right direction. Anything that could possibly reform the existing plans should at least be explored.

If it isn't Cain, hopefully someone else will continue to work for a tax plan that is fair, eliminates loop holes, is easily understood, easy to manage and provides ample funds for the government to operate.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I thought Obama went to a top law school, where he excelled, got hired by an top notch law firm, taught at a prestigious law school, wrote a best seller, served many years in the state house in a large state, served as a Senator and now President.

Jimmy Carter had a record, too, and still managed to be one of the 2 or 3 worst presidents ever.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obama has never released his school records, and the schools have all seem to misplaced them . He was in the senate for less than two years , and had one of the worst attendance records ever.
He was not vetted , and is one of the least qualified presidents in history. After watching him for three years , it is quite apparent , he is a terrible leader. He is incapable of rising above the daily battles, and showing leadership and the voice of reason. Only hate for the opposition, and driving wedges between the American people.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
...hopefully someone else will continue to work for a tax plan that is fair, eliminates loop holes, is easily understood, easy to manage and provides ample funds for the government to operate.

Willie Sutton should design our tax code. He'd nail the wealthiest, because "that's where the money is."

He also said, "Go where the money is, and go there often."

This should appeal to those who think that taxation is robbery.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
Only hate for the opposition, and driving wedges between the American people.

Seems to me that Boehner, Cantor, and McConnell have that corner all to themselves. Obama has tried without success to use bipartisan approaches.

When it comes to wedges, it's really Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Palin, O'Reilly, Bachmann, Murdoch, Ailes, Rove, and the people who say the things you say that drive the wedges. After all, in the face of all the problems facing the US, didn't Mitch McConnell state that his only priority was to make Obama a one-term president?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 51 of 55

Jump to: