myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Avery Park
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pahtoe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Avery Park Reply with quote

What's the deal with Avery Park: WA side about 9 miles E of the Dalles bridge? Does anybody sail it anymore? What's good/bad about it? Seems it would be a much more popular launch than it seems to be.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avery is a pretty good spot, but a bit out of the way. Can be some nice swells and you can sail over to the island to take a break. Also camping right there for a hardy few. Even back in the day it was never crowded.
- BobG
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent sailing and perfect port ramps in SW wind, about as bad as it gets in W or NW, poison oak out the wazoo, blackberries up the yeng yeng (learn the difference or pay a big price!), one major fin breaker rock right where you launch.
skisurfer1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also there are a few mulberry bushes that drop berries that stick to everything.Very direction specific,(SW), tends to be gusty, tricky onshore wind launch with a rock trap for the unwary,trains a few feet from the launch,and rattle snakes
If it is good here it is often better at Maryhill with better swells, and a much nicer park and launch.
skisurfer1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also there are a few mulberry bushes that drop berries that stick to everything.Very direction specific,(SW), tends to be gusty, tricky onshore wind launch with a rock trap for the unwary,trains a few feet from the launch,and rattle snakes
If it is good here it is often better at Maryhill with better swells, and a much nicer park and launch.
ramps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most times I have sailed there my arms increased in length due to the 10 to 45 mph wind conditions, but I have had good steady 3.5 sessions when other sites nearby were not doing much.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its SW, it can be great! Fun to do laps around the island and good for beginner/intermediates since they can stand up over at the island. I've brought friends there as a kinder/gentler first sailing spot at the Gorge.

Several launches and I've never had issues with rattlers, poison ivy, or anything except the square rocks walking out to launch. I drove through last year and the indians seem to have a permanent fishing settlement set up in the campground.

Keep an eye out for barges/boats as they come through between the WA side and the island and can sneak up on you pretty fast. Excellent private launch if you don't have time to go to Maryhill/The wall. No real swell riding in the area, but good jumping and cruising.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramps wrote:
Most times I have sailed there my arms increased in length due to the 10 to 45 mph wind conditions

That's why it's so unpopular once the wind goes W or especially NW.
pahtoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info. Thanks. I like to try new spots, and it looks worth it if the winds look favorable. But the fishing thing has me wondering. I saw the sign that reads "Reserved for treaty fishing during designated seasons. Open for public use at all other times." But I'm having a heckuva time finding where those designated seasons are posted. The ODFW and The Corps don't seem to have them on their sites.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fishermen use the east end, the sailors use the west end; not a problem. Ya better get cracking; there are well over 70 launches on the Columbia.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: