myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet 11'8 wind sup
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcatz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Exocet 11'8 wind sup Reply with quote

Anyone have an opinion or thoughts on the new Exocet 11'8" Wind Sup?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teach, paddle, cruise, BAF, open class race and wave sail on it. what's not to like? it ain't available just yet, at the moment, but i'd like to give a go when it is.

http://www.exocet-original.com/wind-sup118.php

my guess is the wind SUP will out do lotsa other long boards in lotsa ways. look forward to trying it for sure.

2 constructions.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jackcatz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John,
Sailing-wise how wave specific is this board? Aside from being longer and wider how would you compare/contrast to the Kona One?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wider, pancake thinner. the SUP 2009/10 11'8 is pretty much it. the main difference being the dagger and construction. nearly everyone that tested the original board with a sail on it, came back wishing for foot straps. the addition of a dagger, and both constructions should make this board very attractive to many.

will see the live demo edition soon, production ones to follow in 2012, best guess from the importer, US.

outcast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J,
What happened to the Kona line? Is it now the longboard line?....the 8'5 is interesting ....wider than the old minitanker i think....sort of a Cross117 on steroids Could be killa ...

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an entrepreneur from Sweden bought the Kona One and the Kona name. Exocet has continued on with everything else. name changes, too many, have been happening at Exocet.

8'5 is the minitanker. at 65 wide it's okay. i'd like to see a 75 wide 10'5 or 9'5 for what i need. the mini is a very small feeling 120 liter board. tried it several times in onshore conditions. the duck tail makes the small minitanker feel and perform small. if that's what you want.....

11'5 is still the 11'5, best that i can have for the time being. the 9'5 is much too narrow for my needs in fluky, light wind onshore florida. 10'5 is the same, needs 3-5 knots more to deliver in the lightest of conditions than the 11'5. since i don't like to paddle, would rather sail, i'm thinking the 11'8 might be the best ever? maybe do it and the 10'5....

d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the looks of this board.

If it can catch waves with a paddle AND plane well with a sail then it could be a real winner.
drscott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Exocet windsup Reply with quote

I got to sail JohnI's demo version of the WindSUP, wood version, this Saturday in 20-25 gusty choppy winds on the Banana River, FL. I am 205lbs and was using a 6.2 cranked down to make it feel like a 5.2-5.5. All I can say is wow! This thing planed so easy and was so much fun in the straps. It is big so it plowed right thru the chop and my very first run was about 2 miles down and 2 miles back completely powered, comfortable, and grinning ear to ear. On the way back to my launch site, I was "riding" the 1-2 foot wind chop like a wave and having a blast. It was so easy. I didn't get to paddle it in the chop but I see it being a very easy flat water/small wave/teaching SUP. I think this thing is the perfect "1 board" quiver for SUP, planing/non-planing fun, and teaching family and friends. I envision this being my "Keys trip" board for the family on long weekend trips to Florida Keys with one board that can do everything pretty darn well.

I immediately put my Kona 11-5 and Starboard SUP board up for sail and have ordered a WindSUP from Sandy Point. I'm going to pick it up Saturday.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've sailed it 5 times now.

it does everything one would want it to do with a sail. doubt i'll ever give a crap about what it does with a paddle. if one has been following the exploits of the 11'5, then the wind SUP does that board quite a bit better in the lowest of winds and the whimpiest of waves.

planing is another matter. the size and hull shape makes it easy with lots of wind as dc scott has stated. the dagger slot and the size allows for stomp jibes. that's my term for putting tons of back foot pressure that commonly stops a short boarder from planing thru. so, in an ironic twist, the wind SUP will reinforce bad jibes for those stuck in that stage of short board sailing. if one tries to use the front foot like a short board jibe, the whetted surface and dagger slot slows the board down lots.

i have yet to put outboard straps on it coupled with a 9.0 sail or larger. with a 52 cm fin and large sail, i suspect the board will go quite fast and early. the dagger is allegier, not my favorite, so the expectation of high performance from that is low. but, it'll most likely get one upwind to a far off point break, or help teach a beginner.

overall, what a fantastic do all board. to think, it's been laying fallow in the old kona line for a few years. glad it was resurrected as it is now. last saturday, i had one of the better times riding head high and smaller waves all afternoon in 8-16 mph side on winds. fantastic fun.

will it aerial like my favorite 11'5 pic? doubt it, but it sure makes wave sailing even easier. stupid easy at that.

backsideaerial7.5phantomon11'5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.43 KB
 Viewed:  24114 Time(s)

backsideaerial7.5phantomon11'5.jpg

jfeehan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you put a rig on the 2012 Exocet Evo boards?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: