myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
where to find a used formula board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEsailor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
inf2003, you should understand that if my price frightens you and the idea of driving a long distance to pick a board up doesn't appeal to you, it's best to give up the chase. Formula equipment and sailing remains a sport for the elite, especially in N.E.

always the consummate jerk
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEsailor, forever the ignorant moron.
justall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sailworld has/had a 170 Exocet formula for sale. Check their used equipment listings at sailworld.com. I've thought of doing the same (formula) after another day just shy of a plane ... But I probably really just need to move to where the wind is.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going big is far more convenient than moving.

OTOH, if you have a chance to do so, i'd think santa barbara, corpus, PR, maui, santa cruz, or lyle WA would be my choices.

going FW, is as easy as putting a large free ride sail on a FW board. great for rec. sailing. find a couple of used fins, one stiff, for choppy and one bendy for lighter winds, and you are set. i learned tons by doing FW workouts, had fun too.

i've chosen the long board for waves since, but FW boards are a great way to get TOW.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Dallas, TX where we have a fair number of good windy days, having a formula board increased my sailing days 28% in 2010. I keep all my stats from every outing, including GPS data (board, sail, wind, top speed, average speed, time on the water and distance).

That 28% represents 28 days on either a 9.2 or 11.0 and my formula board.

Elite or not, the formula guys in our area get the most sailing time.
prizzo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2000 fanatic Falcon which is 152L and 75 CM wide, 52 CM fin. It is an awsome lite air board. LIte wind slalom as apposed to formula. It planes quick, but turns much better. Even with a 7.5 sail, it greatly increased my planing days, compared to the same sail on a 115L slalom board. Has a bag and a couple repairs and new footstraps. $200. I live in SO NH so closer than ME.
inf2003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno, I totally agree with you. That is the exact reason I want a formula board. To absolutely maximize my sailing (planing) time. At the spot I sail with my large freeride board, I plane about 10% of the time in the normal conditions and am on the verge of planing so much. I think the average wind speed is about 12mph and not quite enough for my 195 lbs on the large freeride. I have a 9.0 and 10.7 freeride sails already. They are the only sizes I can use due to the conditions.

Prizzo, I sure appreciate your offer. It in a price range I can pull off now but I already have a 160 liter 80cm wide freeride board with a 60 cm race fin. I definately want a 100 cm wide freeride board. Thanks for taking the time to offer.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

info2003,

Keep in mind that formula boards aren't miracle workers. At 195 lbs and good pumping technique on a 10.7, you can get planing in about 10 knots. At 10 knots, small white caps begin to form.

I weigh 167 and can get going in about 8 knots with pumping my 11.0. With my 9.2, it's more like 10 knots.

The biggest problem where I sail when the wind is this light, is that it may vary from 3-14 knots, which means there will be some slogging no matter what. If you have steadier winds, then you are in luck.
inf2003

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
info2003,

Keep in mind that formula boards aren't miracle workers. At 195 lbs and good pumping technique on a 10.7, you can get planing in about 10 knots. At 10 knots, small white caps begin to form.

I weigh 167 and can get going in about 8 knots with pumping my 11.0. With my 9.2, it's more like 10 knots.

The biggest problem where I sail when the wind is this light, is that it may vary from 3-14 knots, which means there will be some slogging no matter what. If you have steadier winds, then you are in luck.

Techno600, Thanks for your reply and sharing your information, I do understand that this board will not be a miracle worker. I am just trying to increase my planing time over what it is now. (10% of the time or less on average) If I get a little improvement I will be happy. Unfortunately the wind is gusty also at my location. I still do have a lot of fun, however and just love being out there for the little planing I get. I know I will still do a lot of Slogging but it is still worth it to me. I am learning to pump properly also.

And I promise that if I do find a board, I wont ask if I should get into the footstaps FFF or BFF!!!
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a formula board, there is no choice on BFF or FFF. FFF is the only option. You will know what I mean when you get your board.

Hopefully, isobars isn't reading this.

Also, think about an adjustable outhaul. It really adds range to your sails and lets you adjust for the lulls and gusts. In addition you should flatten the sail for upwind and make it full for downwind. This will stabilize the rig and make it more efficient.

Have fun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: