myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hotel and cable park at Nichols Boat Basin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Katie. For those of us unable to attend meeting, are you aware of a site where minutes are posted and public comment can be made electronically?
SamD0g

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at the video posted on the Kite Forum. I can't believe people are excited about a tacky, lame, amusement park type of 'ride' here in the Gorge. Doh...... we have REAL wind, mountains and plenty of thrills. If you like this type of c#$%^p move to New Jersey ! GAHHHHHH Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
CGW2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always submit public comment to the Port office, at porthr@gorge.net. Be sure to include something that says you want your comments included in the public record. The Port Director, Michael McElwee, can be reached at mmcelwee@portofhoodriver.com.

Thanks for your interest in getting involved - public feedback goes very far, both in person and in written comments. If you want your opinion to be considered, share it!

CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GorgeWindsurfing wrote:
You can always submit public comment to the Port office, at porthr@gorge.net. Be sure to include something that says you want your comments included in the public record. The Port Director, Michael McElwee, can be reached at mmcelwee@portofhoodriver.com.

Thanks for your interest in getting involved - public feedback goes very far, both in person and in written comments. If you want your opinion to be considered, share it!

Thanks Katie,

Much appreciated.

CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boyslie wrote:
I took a look at the video posted on the Kite Forum. I can't believe people are excited about a tacky, lame, amusement park type of 'ride' here in the Gorge. Doh...... we have REAL wind, mountains and plenty of thrills. If you like this type of c#$%^p move to New Jersey ! GAHHHHHH Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I'm trying really hard to appreciate the fact that there would most certainly be some that would enjoy such an amusement machine on the H.R. Waterfront. At this time, however, with an equal amount of certitude, I don't think I'd be one of them, and even if I wasn't a patron., I don't think I'll look looking at it.

The idea of it just seems out of whack. I'll have to think about how to better articulate it.
Wink

jota

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, show up at the meetings to express your opinions - most of the kiters on nwkite.com are drooling over this.

On their forum thread on this topic they refer to this forum (http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-23488-0-asc-0.html) :

1. "lots of opposition on there which is to be expected since a lot of people of completely oblivious to what a cable park actually is,"

2. "So many of them sound like uneducated bitter assholes its almost like its a joke or something"

3. "it is just a few people and they love to bitch on that forum. I think they've got another thread that is like 5 or 6 pages long where they are arguing full force over which foot should go first into the footstraps... man, those guys must be really really bored....."

Way to treat other people's opinion with respect guys! Okay, so maybe #3 isn't far off the mark, but still - go to meetings and/or send your comments in, pro or con!
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jota wrote:
Yeah, show up at the meetings to express your opinions - most of the kiters on nwkite.com are drooling over this.

On their forum thread on this topic they refer to this forum (http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-23488-0-asc-0.html) :

1. "lots of opposition on there which is to be expected since a lot of people of completely oblivious to what a cable park actually is,"

2. "So many of them sound like uneducated bitter assholes its almost like its a joke or something"

3. "it is just a few people and they love to bitch on that forum. I think they've got another thread that is like 5 or 6 pages long where they are arguing full force over which foot should go first into the footstraps... man, those guys must be really really bored....."

Way to treat other people's opinion with respect guys! Okay, so maybe #3 isn't far off the mark, but still - go to meetings and/or send your comments in, pro or con!

Yeah... or spare us all and don't! Laughing
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all are really missing the point here. It is not about whether you think cable parks are stupid, or whether the towers are esthetically appealing, or whether salmon might use the basin, it is only about the economy. Will this thing generate an economic boost to HR, will it create jobs, and how much will it cost HR to allow it to be built? Any community needs to create job and opportunity for its growing population. You think windsurfing provides enough jobs for the youth of tomorrow? Not likely. The question is not why HR should say 'yes', it is why they should say 'no'.

If you think HR will remain small and quaint forever, think again. Broughton and the basin might not be developed this year or in five years, but 10, 15 years from now you can count on it. It is called progress and whether you like it or not, it happens everywhere.

And no, I am not a republican. I am just the messenger.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
You all are really missing the point here. It is not about whether you think cable parks are stupid, or whether the towers are esthetically appealing, or whether salmon might use the basin, it is only about the economy. Will this thing generate an economic boost to HR, will it create jobs, and how much will it cost HR to allow it to be built? Any community needs to create job and opportunity for its growing population. You think windsurfing provides enough jobs for the youth of tomorrow? Not likely. The question is not why HR should say 'yes', it is why they should say 'no'.

If you think HR will remain small and quaint forever, think again. Broughton and the basin might not be developed this year or in five years, but 10, 15 years from now you can count on it. It is called progress and whether you like it or not, it happens everywhere.

And no, I am not a republican. I am just the messenger.

O.K., fine, you're "the messenger" - not a very convincing message.

jota

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think "development is inevitable" is the end of the story.

Over the years the locals have scrutinized the many development proposals put forth, and been able to stop potentially bad proposals, and gain favorable modifications of others. Nobody has a crystal ball but thank goodness some of the really bad waterfront proposals have been stopped. If you leave it up to the developers and the Port of Hood River you are screwed because they don't care about the community - so we all need to take a hard look at these things and weigh in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: